Anyone else tied down due to your animals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Not complaining, just wondering if I'm the only one that can't go anywhere because of all the animals.

Hus really wants to take Dan and me away on a little trip since we haven't had one in 15 years.

We've never even been to Dollywood for a day trip.

I have no one anywhere I could trust to take care of the animals.

Even if I did, I'd be worried about them all the time and wouldn't enjoy a minute away.

Anyone else go through this?

YES! I don't trust anyone to take care of my horses. Well I do trust my hubby, he's an excellent caregiver but then we would still have the problem of going places together. I really don't mind not travelling though, I have done all the travelling I can possibly stand over the years and am content to stay home with my horses now. I really hate business travel but I can't get out of it sometimes.

We're in the same boat Marty, I can't think of anyone who I'd feel comfortable doing extended care for my horses.

Oh jeez I have a hard time going to work and knowing I will be away for 8 hours! I wouldnt survive a trip knowing my horses and dog are at home and not with me! Heck im only 21 and theres no way im leaving my babies!! (well my fur babies) The sad fact is, all of my friends are all traveling to europe or south america doing the typical 20's traveling/backpacking thing, and me I would much rather stay and be with my horses and dog! Ive got to get a life! lol rofl!

Cheers

Masako

I have felt that feeling before and after having tried many people over the years, most with some dire consequences (i.e. the stallion gets out with a mare while I am gone or the horses run out of water on a hot day!), I wonder why I bother because I am constantly worrying and making calls home. I have been known to regularly ask a family member or friend to drive quite a distance to double check on the horses even when I am paying someone else. I liken it to trying to go on a date with your husband when you have young children at home. You always worry and call home multiple times to check on everyone.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I often wonder if it is worth it.

I've been married over five years and have yet to have any kind of honeymoon, or a vacation, with my husband because of the farm. We've both vacationed separately with friends, but never together.

Also, I have this bad habit of booking photo shoots when I'm supposed to be on "vacation" ... I am on "vacation" this long weekend with the baby and so far have shot one wedding and two dancers (for headshots). Haven't even made it out to see my parents' miniatures yet!

Absolutely...that is why I don't have any animals right now other than my 2 dogs and my outside cat. We bought a camp and a boat 2 hrs north of us on a beautiful 20 mile long lake last year and of course we wanted to be up there on our weekends. I did find a wonderful lady to take care of my minis, goats, and chickens but it was costing me a fortune and I didn't spend any quality time with the animals, so I made the tough decision to sell. My two dogs go with us so there not a problem since they are inside dogs. The cat of course stays here since she is an outside cat.

I occasionally do miss everyone, but I know there will come a time when I don't want to travel every weekend (our weekends are usually 3 nights) and then I will get horses again. Right now we have the ability to be able to travel (especially with the animals gone and all the extra cash) and I don't want to loose that opportunity. To some it may sound selfish, but it was what we needed. We have very stressful jobs and our weekend getaways really help ease alot of that stress and bring me and my hubby even closer together. I made the right decision for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I am not.... We are leaving here in a few short hours to go to Kennywood (myself, the 2 kids, hubby, my sister, her 3 kids and my mom and dad). Then on Tuesday myself, kids and hubby are going to ocean city Md until saturday or sunday. I have WONDERFUL neighbors!!! When you turn onto my road first house is my uncles, next house is my parents, then my house, then my aunt, then a cousins and then it is several other families that have lived on this road since I was a baby. My cousin will be taking care of my dogs(4) and then my neighbor/best friend will be taking looking after my horses tomorrow and then while we are on vacation my parents will be looking after them. We all do this for one another if someone is out of town we(family or neighbors) take care of their animals and they return the favor if we are going out of town. It works out GREAT and in my opinion that is what neighbors and family is supposed to do for one another.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

We are also very fortunate. Our neighbors have horses(and other animals) we watch each others animals while on vacation.

Growing up I was the one called on to watch animals for different people. A couple that I can think of right off are a large welsh pony and large horse farm. They had two barns full of horses, dogs, cats....... They called me whenever they needed help. Usually at the last minute. The other was a huge Sheltie breeding/showing operation. That's where I fell in love with shelties.
default_smile.png

We have quite a few pet sitters around us that will take care of horses. That's probably a business I should have gotten into.

I would call one of them if I didn't have our neighbors.

The horses are really my hobby. My husband likes them, but we both love to get away with our children as much as we can.

Kim

Yes Marty we are very tied down too, with 4 horses 3 cats and 2 dogs and the feeding schedule(4 times a day)& turnout times we have a hard time getting away. Since we moved 6 years ago so I could have the animals in the backyard this is the first year we went away for the weekend to NC & GA. My 17 year old stayed at home and my other son came to stay with him (but he had to bring his 2 boxers which my JRT dosent like at all, the corgi just thinks their crazy!) I worry that they will colic when I'm not home, I worry that they are not checking to see if they are drinking enough. I worry they will not shut the screen door and the dogs will get out. My family says I worry too much. I do have 3 friends who could watch them but they have a hard time with the schedule.

Try asking at your local feed store, thats where I found out 2 of my friends animal sit.

Good Luck Marty, Kathy

OH YES! We have a few very reputable people that take care of everything when we are gone but even then I can't really really relax. Like a mom leaving her kids I guess? Of course it costs money everytime I hire someone and then I don't like to feel like I'm over asking people after they watch everything for all of the shows we go to.

Hi Marty, Yup... I am with you!

My husband and I took a vacation in 1986. and.......... never again :bgrin

But I am not complaining, either. I consider our farm my "therapeutic retreat & sanctuary from the insanity". So, I am very content to just "stay put".

( I guess the biggest "issue" is family. They totally accept that we do not travel. But I do not think they completely understand.)

-Becky

This past October we finally decided to pack up the pups with us and do a road trip to Oklahoma! Best thing we ever did! We needed the time away and the pups enjoyed our special bonding time with them. I was a little apprehensive at first planning it because our dogs are big.....125 lbs and 80 lbs, so not one you can tuck under your arm and go....but with alot of footwork, careful planning and reservations we ended up in excellent hotels with the "girls" and enjoying our trip to the max.

The horses were cared for by our neighbors as was the house and Larry (cat). My neighbor called me everyday just to let me know how her day had gone with the horses and just to chat about any antics they may have done and how excited she was about them. I trained her well the week before we left, and gave her vet phone numbers, family contacts etc..... If we feel we would like to go out of state again, taking the pups with us, and she is not available, we will hire a pet sitter to look in on the horses and Larry. Our vet gave us some good recommendations.

This worked for us, we enjoyed our time away, but were ecstatic to get back home as well to our farm. Planning well and all in advance is they key. It can be done, just make sure you have all your ground covered and most importantly that you trust whoever you are leving to take care of your farm. I could not stand to be away from my dogs, so I made our plans with them...... they are our "daughters".
default_yes.gif
:

Here we were at the Western Heritage and Cowboy Museum taking a little break.

ec53337d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me..me!! :saludando:

We stay home because of the animals....but then we live in a very beautiful place.

It's hard to get away and feel comfortable that everyone is being taken care of. One of our dogs is blind so she can no longer go to kennels and it's hard to find someone to come twice a day for the horses. I called around (even to the ag tech school) and couldn't find anyone at all. I know when I was in college I would have LOVED to have been paid to do it.

If I l leave then my husband takes care of everything. When we both/all leave then our solution was to have my parents come up from Tennessee to Ohio to farm sit. I have peace of mind because they stay here and I know everyone is cared for. Because of the problems we had trying to find someone I've been pet/farm sitting for others (diverse group from cats and dogs to milking goats and ponies) and have regular business.

Keep asking around and you will find someone. You can always try them out while you are still there to make sure it goes well. Also, don't be afraid to call and check on things while you are gone. I would also see if there is a responsible teenager who doesn't have alot of experience but who is willing to learn. My parents aren't horse people per se but I've "trained" them and leave lots of notes. The first time they stayed they came several days early to learn what to do.

Karen

I'm fortunate enough to have some wonderful young folks I can trust. I used to use a young girl that was very realiable, very horse knowledgable (had her own show horses) and could even drive herself! She got a real job so couldn't use her anymore. Then I found this WONDERFUL young man, 13, and very responsible. His parents do have to bring him over but they only live a few miles away. He is incredible! He feeds exactly the same way I do and even cleans up after himself. He always calls to make sure we make it home when I say we will and then makes sure I'm satisfied with his work before I pay him. He's a hardworking little man too.

We are so fortunate to enjoy our home, minis and space here that we don't feel tied down at all. We have had people comment that we have a little piece of heaven here and I truly feel that way. When we started with the minis we knew it would be something that we would be committed to caring for. On the other hand if we did need to go away for a few days we are lucky to have both a daughter and a son that we can trust to take care of our place. Mary

That's pretty much the way I feel too Mary. I'm perfectly content right here and don't really have that real burning desire to "get away"

Hus just feels we need it, but it's not worth it to me to come home and find something bad has happened.

I wouldn't mind a day trip but that would be it.

I guess I'm boring because when I want entertainment I sit on the porch swing with Amy and count trucks :new_shocked:

I chose not to go to the family reunion the year before last bc i didnt want to leave the horses behind for 3 days. We dont have any dogs, just the horses and a couple barn kitties. The closest thing to a vacation i've had in the past couple years was Congress, and that was last week. But the whole time i worried about the horses, mom was left home to take care of them but i still had to kind of worry. I do get to go to Cedar Point once a while, but that is 30 minutes from here lol.

I guess we chose this life style so i cannot complaine, i wouldnt change having the horses for anything.
default_smile.png

Very definitely, but I dont think I would have it any other way. If there is a emergency that comes up and we do need to go out of town, my son, and son-in-law both can take care of my "outdoor kids". There great with the horses, but I still would worry. Guess I just prefer to stay at home and do it myself. My horses are my entertainment, my enjoyment, my life and I dont think I really would want it any other way. Besides..they would miss there morning "talks" :bgrin Corinne

:saludando: us to.

we haven't been on vac in about 5 to 6 yrs. Our children get a little uspet at times, because we are not able to go anywhere as a family. My husband and children have been to a few places, but I myself have to stay with our animals. We have dogs, cats, fish and horses.We don't have anyone to care for our animals. When my daughter was playing soccer I missed alot of out of town games, because someone had to be here. I have also drove several hours to games then back home for the animals.

we love our animals like our children. we spend alot of money and time on them.

Latest posts

Back