Anyone else have a picky eater?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
I have never seen a horse refuse alfalfa pellets or beet pulp...but Sugar refuses to eat both of them.

Im wondering if it's because of her past type of feeds...which probably, if she even got grain, consisted of sweet feed or wet COB at her previous home...*shrugs* Not sure but I never had a picky eater like her before.
default_wacko.png

Anyone else have a picky eater?

I have had a lot of horses that took time to eat beet pulp. Are you soaking the alfalfa pellets? That helps too.

I had one I had to mix the pellets and beet pulp and soak it or he wouldnt eat it.

I have also found that horses used to high sugar feeds tend to keep looking for the sugar. It does finally wear off though and they start eating

I tried dry/soaked shredded beet pulp, she wont eat it, if I put ANY in her pellets she wont eat any of it. Never tried soaking the alfalfa pellets...
default_wink.png
Thanks!!

I have several picky eaters. Try adding ricebran oil and minerals to the soaked alfalfa. Supposedly ricebran oil is sweet, smells like caramel. It is worth a shot. You can also add to the grain.

Latest posts

Back