Hi from Coastal Washington!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willapa Bay

Reaction score
This is me with our new addition to the family, Willapa. She is almost 5 months old. I have had her 2 weeks. She seems to be settling in well, but is being a picky eater. She is on grass during the day, and grass hay at night, which she does not seem to eat. I supplement her 3 times a day with Calf Manna, a 8oz scoop. She will not eat Mare&Foal, or beet pellets, or take any kind of treats- carrots, apples etc. She does not seem stressed. She is my only mini currently. Should I give her alfalfa hay, and see if she will eat it?

Attachments

• Me&WillaAug 2021.png
    Me&WillaAug 2021.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
She's adorable! Does she have company? It might depend on what she was eating with mom, they have to learn what to eat so new things can take time, especially if she doesn't have another around showing her.

Can babies get ulcers? I know a change in situation can trigger ulcers in adult horses (BTDT!). Maybe her teeth are doing something causing her not to want to eat. Just a couple of thoughts I thought I'd throw out there.
She's very cute 😍.

23AF3F6B-B71A-4CAF-ADE2-46052EEBF32D.png

She is darling!!

When I brought my Breezy Boy home at 3 and a half to 4 months old, I feed him what he was eating at the breeders. He was eating oats and alfalfa pellets. I use to find that my ponies would gorge themselves on grass all day (if I let them) and not eat very much at night. They knew the routine and it’s like they use to hold out for the good green grass.

I think treats are an acquired taste to a lot of horses. My old man, Riffics, would NOT eat a banana or grapes until I gave it to his fruit loving mare. Her eyes would light up when it came to fruit! Once he saw her eat it, he wanted some and has loved bananas and grapes ever since.

It worked with my dog too. I tried to give her a carrot one day. She wanted no part of that until I gave it to the horse, then she wanted some LOL LOL 🤣🤣

Reactions: Taz
Welcome to you both! Very pretty filly!

Feeding is a finicky business sometimes. I have 6 minis, 2 in their mid teens and 4 from low 20’s - to upper 20’s. Their feeding plans are all somewhat different, alfalfa pellets and senior feed in varying amounts. Somtimes I’m confused about whether I’m a horse owner or a head waiter/concierge provider! 🤣

I am wondering about the 3 cups of Calf Manna daily, perhaps she fills up on that and isn’t hungry?

Enjoy your mini!

Latest posts

Back