Anyone a vegetarian ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give me a break!

Nobody needs to feel threatened by anyone else's preference. For the dedicated vegetarians and vegans, you are doing your part...good for you for following what you believe. For those of you who eat beef and/or are in the beef industry, the vegetarians of the world do not threaten your ability to eat beef or your livelihood.

When Keith and I visited his Oklahoma relatives, his cousin considered the fact that we eat little beef to be a personal affront. We were not at all offended that she made a point of serving only "brown food." ...in fact, it became a running joke in the family, and we were all able to laugh at ourselves. (I was only offended by the scarcity of good coffee, which very nearly killed me, LOL!)

BTW, my insulin is human insulin, produced using recombinant dna...perhaps beef products go into its production in some manner, but the old pork and beef insulins are rarely used for humans these days. My dog, however, is prescribed pork insulin.

I feel perfectly guilty without anyone's help, as insulin was discovered and developed for human diabetics through experiments on dogs. I live due to the death of many dogs. How ironic that Sophie, my Maltese, also lives thanks to her own ancestors.

I am a vegetarian and i have been since I was 8.

I live at boarding school though so when I first came here I became realli unhealthy from not eating meat and not subsidising it with a healthy option but now I take vitiman and mineral tablets to help make up.

But i realy love aniamls and I dont wana eat my friends! Plus meat grosses me out so thats a bonus that I won't eat it :)

I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a whole lot of meat. I try to make what I feel are slightly more humane choices, one example being buying eggs from free range chickens. I grew up on a hog/cattle farm in Iowa and I have to say that for those on here that say farming is not cruel, I do think that is untrue in a LOT of cases. Sure, some cows grow up in nice pastures but a lot of them grow up in muddy, dirty, fly filled, feces covered feed lots until it's off to the market. Now, you can say that they don't have emotion and they are perfectly fine there - but just let a couple of cows out on a nice pasture and you WILL see emotion - they get nuts with the happiness and freedom of it! Bucking like horses, running, etc.

And hogs rarely get to grow up on pasture - they have the same reaction as cows if they get loose - sheer HAPPINESS!

I love a good steak but I think it's our ethical responsibility as the people that raise/eat these animals to treat them humanely, and to me giving them decent living conditions is every bit as important as our slaughter practices.

I'm 17 years old and I've pretty much been a vegetarian my whole life. My mom says that when I was a baby I wouldn't eat the meat baby food and when I was little the only meat I would ever eat were hotdogs and occasioanly a fish stick or two. I honestly just don't like the taste and texture of it. I guess it also grosses me out a little to be eating a dead thing but that came after I already didn't eat meat. I think humans have the right to eat meat (or to not eat meat), animals eat eachother so there is no reason that it is inhumane for us to. Atleast we don't chase our "prey" around for hours and torture them and tear them apart before eating them like animals do.

Latest posts

Back