Anyone a vegetarian ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Someone ( a vegetarian acquaintance ) asked me the other day how I could love animals so much and continue to eat meat. I said with a knife and fork just like my other animal loving friends do !! But I was wondering, as Im sure we all love animals, how many vegetarians/vegans do we have here ?? I have been known to eat way to much of the following

Beef: Any steak mid rare alittle charred on the outside

Chicken: Breast...hate to admit...but Popeyes extra crispy

Pork: BBQ ribs and I love the sausage that they have at Cracker Barrel ( little round patties )

Hot Dogs: Not my favorite but I have been known to partake in a corn dog when the fair is in town

Fish: All sushi except for eel ( Im not that crazy ) but Im not crazy about cat fish

Pizza: Meat Lovers extra cheese and Ham and pineapple

And non meat favorite

Im a sucker for good ole smashed potatoes with lots of butter...good bread and sharp cheddar cheese !!

Someone ( a vegetarian acquaintance ) asked me the other day how I could love animals so much and continue to eat meat. I said with a knife and fork just like my other animal loving friends do !!
Me, too. I love my animals, but I will continue to have meat in my diet.

Beef: Any steak mid rare alittle charred on the outside
I prefer mine medium to medium-rate without char. And we grow out own, so its the best I've ever tasted. [Well, except for the bull we butched after he broke his leg, he was a bull so a little funky; the barn cats however love him.
default_wink.png
: ]

I love chicken/turkey, primarily white meat.

No pork

I love shellfish and limited whitefish, but mine has to be cooked.

and I agree on the Pizza: Meat Lovers extra cheese and Ham and pineapple

My non-meat favorite is pasta of any kind, with or without sauce.

I'm a vegitarian, chickitarian ';-) In other words all I don't eat is anything made from cow. Why? Well...yes I do get upset at how they are treated,live and die ( do a search on youtube to see how cows are killed and suffer) I am also doing my part to cut down on the beef industry. The largest man made producer of methane greenhouse gasses (37% of the man made total). I'm not a global warming nut but just incase they are right I'd sure love our next generation to be able to enjoy the world like we do...and I can easily give up eating animal flesh to do that and not miss it at all....BUT I don't preach...hubby loves a good rare steak and I'll not stop him enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally am very much of an animal lover. I love to pet my mini horses, take my little dog for long walks, I love to watch the birds fly around, I feed the hummingbirds in the summer and all others in the winter.

I love to roasted a pig on a spit, grill a thick steak on the BBQ, Smoke a trukey for Thanksgiving, roast a brisquet on the smoker, fry a chicken to a golden brown.

And those who object to this I say how many pair of leather shoes do they have, how many furs, do they kill mice? or set them free.

Some animals are raised for food that is their purpose in life, to reproduce and be eaten, how many vegans eat eggs, or cheese, butter, drink milk, eat baked goods that contain these items.

Sorry about the rant but I have been talked to by my Doctor He being a vegan yet he eats cheese eggs butter. I just cant see a true vegaterian out there if so they would not cook any thing to eat it would all be raw. And by the way all fruits and vegatables are living so they eat living things.

I do eat meat, but not on a regular basis. I prefer chicken to beef. I can live without meat in my diet and be ok with it, but I do enjoy a burger once in awhile, too.

My brother and sil are vegetarians and while we eat real turkey at thanksgiving, they eat "fake" turkey, which I think is silly...either eat turkey or not, but don't try to pretend to be eating it...LOL

I often think about becoming a vegetarian fulltime, but like I said, I do enjoy meat (and fish) and choose to eat it if I want to in moderation, instead of deciding I can't ever eat meat again.

I'm a vegitarian, chickitarian ';-) In other words all I don't eat is anything made from cow. Why? Well...yes I do get upset at how they are treated,live and die ( do a search on youtube to see how cows are killed and suffer) I am also doing my part to cut down on the beef industry. The largest man made producer of methane greenhouse gasses (37% of the man made total). I'm not a global warming nut but just incase they are right I'd sure love our next generation to be able to enjoy the world like we do...and I can easily give up eating animal flesh to do that and not miss it at all....BUT I don't preach...hubby loves a good rare steak and I'll not stop him enjoying it.
If you don't wish to eat beef because of the methane gas that a good viable reason the rest, sorry, is a crock. I've seen the clips on youtube and most are put out by either a)people who don't know any better or b) people trying to intestinally deceive you. The one clip that shows the cow in the machine that rotates them and they have their throats cut and trachea removed is NOT how 80% (or more) of the beef is killed. It is extremely ineffective, slow and "could" be illegal for the normal processing plant to do. That is Kosher plant, every time I see the Hebrew National commercial I think of that clip. :smileypuke:

We raise cattle, as do all my neighbors and a good solid 1/2 the people in our community I really don't see how they are raised is treating them poorly. If you are referring to veal calves again that is a narrow percentage and just like Kosher you can chose not to support it. However if you don't like the way veal calves are treated you really shouldn't be eating chicken either as their lives pretty much mirror the veal calves.

There are cases of really abuse that is caught on tape, but not as many as propaganda pushers like PETA would like you to believe, hence the reason the same piece of footage gets recycled again and again. Some of those clips and photos were taken 10-15 even 20 years ago.

Again you don't want to eat meat..Don't but don't believe all that you see on youtube.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a lacto/ovo vegetarian for many years. Recently, I have made the transition to complete vegetarianism and have completely removed dairy and eggs from my diet as well. In part due to conscience and in part due to it makes my health better. All I can say is I thank God dark chocolate is not animal-based or I'd be in big trouble.

I always laugh when someone says Oh your a vegetarian? Do you eat fish and chicken? Well, no, Duh. :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I have been a vegetarian since the sixth grade. Sooo... I guess that's... sixteen years or so I guess.

Personally, there's no reason to NOT be vegetarian. Yeah, I did love a good bacon western cheeseburger, but there are plenty of other yummy foods out there. I feel it's just plain SELFISH to not be vegetarian.

1. It's good for the environment. Meat production uses a LOT of land (cutting down rainforests to make pasture, producing grain which produces a lot less pounds of beef per pounds of grain).

2. It's good for the animals (they don't die, obviously, and live a horrible life while waiting to die)

3. It's good for your health (lower cholesterol, less heart disease, less weight gain, etc.)

4. It's good for your budget (my husband eats meat, his meals are ALWAYS more expensive when he eats it. He has reduced his meat intake a lot since dating me though).

So yeah, selfishness. It does take self control, too.

And yes, miniwhinny, beef production is horrible... but why is chicken production any more ethical? They live in tiny cages and have their beaks seared off with a hot knife, and then killed. They don't make bolt guns that are chicken size, either.

I'm not a "preachy" vegetarian, and I'm not a PETA sort of person either. But I live my life the best I can. And being vegetarian makes a world of difference.

Andrea

I prefer to stick with poultry and fish, and we don't eat those all that often, but I do on a rare occasion eat beef. I just won't waste that rare occasion on hamburgers and true garbage food...if I'm going to partake, it had better be something fantastic, like steak.

This is primarily for health reasons, but my conscience chimes in there, too. I want to get chickens for the e ggs, but I've decided the old ones will live out their lives in graceful retirement, as I could never eat anything I had come to know...

So I guess that makes me a semi-demi-wimpy-hypocritcal-aqua-feathertarian

Vegetarian here....ONLY because that is what my body wants...just veggies....yummy, yummy veggies! Tofu! Legumes! Salads! Rice! Garden Fresh Veggies!

About every five years or so I get a craving for a steak....I do eat it...prime rib, crispy on the outside - alive on the inside - then I am fine for a few more years! :bgrin

Pam

[SIZE=14pt]love all my critters but also like meat too. i always found it odd that every vegetarian or vegan i have ever met wore or used leather, shoes, belts, saddles, halters, leads, harnesses...just seems odd to me...not saying it's right or wrong but where is the line? maybe there are some out there that don't but i have'nt met them. i had a sister inlaw who wouldn't even touch butter...would gag and throw a fit and "PREACH" but was very proud of her shearling coat :eek: ...ugh...what a joke...to each their own
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I'm not a vegitarian but I have found that as I get older I don't enjoy meat as much as I used to. If I have a preference it will be beef...chicken sometimes makes me want to gag....and if I have to cut it up and prep it by removing membranes etc...well :no: . I don't do fish and rarely seafood...it has to not taste fishy. I can do shrimp if it's mild....once it starts to taste fishy I'm outta there! I can't stomach pepperoni anymore on my pizza, which I guess is a good thing nor do I stomach pork and things like that anymore. I used to LOVE spare ribs....and now I try and eat one or two when we bar-b-q.....so far so good....but I don't endulged like I used to. I do love a fresh veggie salad...and black olives..omg i could eat them by the handful! :lol:

[SIZE=14pt]Sterling, that is the way i have become. i can't do chicken much anymore and if i prepared it forget it. i can handle a chicken breast made by someone else. hamburger and sausage gross me out now too. i like a nice ham once in awhile and as far as steak i only eat something that's really lean or else i can't eat it. [/SIZE]

Im a vegetarian. I dont think its right to take the life of any animal. Even thinking about meat makes me want to puke. So gross and really sad.
default_sad.png

I'll take meat over veggies any time. I rarely eat veggies at all. They make me gag.
default_yes.gif
:

We knew a person that claimed to be a vegan. She would get really sick once a month......the doctor finally told her that her body was in dire need of meat. Why do you think we have Canine teeth? To TEAR the meat, like other omnivores.

The homegrown meat is very healthy, especially the buffalo.

OH and the rainforests are not being destroyed to build pastures....it's to have room for more houses for people. The pasture lands in our area are being destroyed so people will have a place to build a house.

Woohoo lets have some fun!

Refined sugar uses Bone Char in the process but many still consider it still it a vegan lifestyle when eating refined sugar as "animals are not raised for their bones". :new_rofl: Well they aint' raised specifically for their ribs either but I bet that would be off limits.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The protein in the fluid gelfusine is bovine based. Gelofusine is a product given to many surgery patients.

Let go a little farther. Beef is used in sausage casings, blood sausage, protein extracts, margarine, shortening, chewing gum, ice cream, yogurt, candies, marshmallows, mayonnaise, cake mixes, and pasta. Candles, cellophane, ceramics, make-up, crayons, deodorants, detergent, perfumes, paints, plastics, shaving cream, soaps, pet foods, floor wax, leather, bandages, wallpaper, nail files, glues, combs, piano keys, paint brushes and camera film are just some of the products made with beef

(Ok all you pet loving vegans...what do you feed your dog? Dogs are CARNIVORES.)

Medicine for diabetes and arthritis use beef by-products.

They are used in tires, glue, roads, car polishes and waxes. (Aren't we having fun :lol:)

(So it's ok to use those products but not eat beef, as that is cruel?)

Now on to eating beef = heart disease. The study that "proved" cutting beef out of your diet lowered your cholesterol was done late 50's early 60's. The group that used margarine instead of butter, had cereal instead of eggs and ate chicken or fish once a day did have a 30 point lower cholesterol score. The other group ate butter, had eggs and ate good old red meat 3x a day. Wow, the medical world just had a break through, but I bet you know the story doesn't end here or why would I make your point for you. Like many good studies this one didn't end there but followed these people through out their life. Group A, the non red meat eaters, had eight people die of heart disease while zero from the filthy three times a day meat eaters did. Well of course the "founder" of the medical breakthrough wasn't going to publish this...he couldn't he died before of vascular thrombosis.

There is a tribe in Africa that does not have heart disease EVEN THOUGH they eat NO vegetables, consider those cattle food, and only consume beef, blood and buttermilk.

Yes in the last eighty years our consumption of beef has increased greatly, just as our increase of heart disease. I still don't see it a clear cut "meat's fault" when our intake of Vegetable oil has increase much higher (over 400%) and our intake of sugars has also skyrocketed but our intake of vegetables, fruits, grains, eggs & potatoes has plummeted.

Some really good ways to lower your cholesterol is to a) become more active b) don't or quit smoking c) reduce your stress. In other words I can't sit here at the computer, eating chips and drinking pop with a cigarette hanging out my mouth getting all worked up about what a vegitarian thinks and holler about red meat giving me high cholesterol. :bgrin

I am still so confused on how they are raised is horrible? I just came from a pasture full of cows, grazing and snoozing in the mid day sun.

Ok I could/should go on but I'm so tired of this subject as each is going to stay stubbornly rooted in their beliefs and I need to clip anyways. In short I DON"T CARE if you wish to be a vegetarian but if your going to PREACH to me about the selfishness of people such as I, I don't know how you get too your horse shows as anything with tires or a paved road is obviously out. :bgrin I believe they call that accessory after the fact, at least by the definition below.

ACCESSORY AFTER THE FACT - Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment. U.S.C. 18

Wow, I had no idea beef or beef by-products were used in so many things, especially non-food things. [i know about leather, gelatin and a few others, but not the extent of this list.]

As beef raisers, we should be getting a bigger share in the pie, than we do; just look at what we supply.

Marlee, thank you for the additional information that I didn't know.

I love beef and will continue to eat beef; nothing beats home-raised beef.

Woohoo lets have some fun!

Refined sugar uses Bone Char in the process but many still consider it still it a vegan lifestyle when eating refined sugar as "animals are not raised for their bones". :new_rofl: Well they aint' raised specifically for their ribs either but I bet that would be off limits.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The protein in the fluid gelfusine is bovine based. Gelofusine is a product given to many surgery patients.

Let go a little farther. Beef is used in sausage casings, blood sausage, protein extracts, margarine, shortening, chewing gum, ice cream, yogurt, candies, marshmallows, mayonnaise, cake mixes, and pasta. Candles, cellophane, ceramics, make-up, crayons, deodorants, detergent, perfumes, paints, plastics, shaving cream, soaps, pet foods, floor wax, leather, bandages, wallpaper, nail files, glues, combs, piano keys, paint brushes and camera film are just some of the products made with beef

(Ok all you pet loving vegans...what do you feed your dog? Dogs are CARNIVORES.)

Medicine for diabetes and arthritis use beef by-products.

They are used in tires, glue, roads, car polishes and waxes. (Aren't we having fun :lol:)

(So it's ok to use those products but not eat beef, as that is cruel?)

Now on to eating beef = heart disease. The study that "proved" cutting beef out of your diet lowered your cholesterol was done late 50's early 60's. The group that used margarine instead of butter, had cereal instead of eggs and ate chicken or fish once a day did have a 30 point lower cholesterol score. The other group ate butter, had eggs and ate good old red meat 3x a day. Wow, the medical world just had a break through, but I bet you know the story doesn't end here or why would I make your point for you. Like many good studies this one didn't end there but followed these people through out their life. Group A, the non red meat eaters, had eight people die of heart disease while zero from the filthy three times a day meat eaters did. Well of course the "founder" of the medical breakthrough wasn't going to publish this...he couldn't he died before of vascular thrombosis.

There is a tribe in Africa that does not have heart disease EVEN THOUGH they eat NO vegetables, consider those cattle food, and only consume beef, blood and buttermilk.

Yes in the last eighty years our consumption of beef has increased greatly, just as our increase of heart disease. I still don't see it a clear cut "meat's fault" when our intake of Vegetable oil has increase much higher (over 400%) and our intake of sugars has also skyrocketed but our intake of vegetables, fruits, grains, eggs & potatoes has plummeted.

Some really good ways to lower your cholesterol is to a) become more active b) don't or quit smoking c) reduce your stress. In other words I can't sit here at the computer, eating chips and drinking pop with a cigarette hanging out my mouth getting all worked up about what a vegitarian thinks and holler about red meat giving me high cholesterol. :bgrin

I am still so confused on how they are raised is horrible? I just came from a pasture full of cows, grazing and snoozing in the mid day sun.

Ok I could/should go on but I'm so tired of this subject as each is going to stay stubbornly rooted in their beliefs and I need to clip anyways. In short I DON"T CARE if you wish to be a vegetarian but if your going to PREACH to me about the selfishness of people such as I, I don't know how you get too your horse shows as anything with tires or a paved road is obviously out. :bgrin I believe they call that accessory after the fact, at least by the definition below.

ACCESSORY AFTER THE FACT - Whoever, knowing that an offense has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact; one who knowing a felony to have been committed by another, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon in order to hinder the felon's apprehension, trial, or punishment. U.S.C. 18

I'm a vegetarian!!!!!!!! :saludando:

Been one for about 11 years. I dont like much veggies either, especially not cooked. ewwe. But i manage to eat something that doesn't have a dead animal in it, that just grosses me out.

I don't think I'd survive if I went Vegan though, too many limits.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The animal by-products don't disturb me quite as much, because I know it's nearly impossible too avoid them, and it just doesn't look like a dead body on my plate. Also, one of the reasons I stopped eating meat was my being tramatized as a 4-year-old.......I didn't know what was in meat, and mom told me, while I was eating a hamburger......I had wanted another, she didn't have any, I said to get one (as any 4 year old would do lol) and she said something about grinding up a cow, and I was like :new_shocked: WHAT!!!!!! And she proceeded to tell me what was in all animal type products, I through out the hamburger, spit up a bit of it, and haven't had any since.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back