Anybody want to critique my dachshund

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what I want to "do" with my dachshunds, if anything. This is Brady. He's my buddy and sleeps under the covers with me.
default_wub.png
:

He's a red smooth mini and weighs just under 10 pounds. He's AKC and is 2 years old. He has given us one litter and we were happy with it. You can't see in the pictures, but he has nice almond shaped eyes, which is described in the standard.

So, for conformation, what do you think?

bradymed.jpg

bradypose.jpg

p.s. Posing dogs is NOT easy!!! LOL He had NO idea what we wanted of him and felt he wasn't doing it right, even though we were laughing at ourselves the whole time.

(The first pic was taken this past spring and the second one was taken today.)

[SIZE=14pt]i don't know anything about dachshund conformation but he is a real cutie
default_yes.gif
: , Nikki
[/SIZE]

Posing dogs is actually called stacking, but I think you did a nice job of it for not knowing what you're doing.

As someone who is NOT a Doxie expert, I'll say the first thing that stands out to me is that your dog's legs look too long. It also appears to me that he has more of a domed skull than desired. Here is a link to the AKC standard for the breed: http://www.akc.org/breeds/dachshund/index.cfm

That said, your best bet for critiques is from someone who is respected in the breed and in good standing with the Daschund Club of America: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

At the above site you can find recommended breeders and even see proper Daschund movement, etc. NOW, if it turns out that serious conformation showing won't be your dog's forte (and I'm not saying it won't be), that doesn't mean you can't enter for the learning experience AND the AKC does offer many other venues for enjoying your dog including Obedience, Agility, etc.

hehe Tracy, at first glance i thought you were asking for a critique of your DAUGHTER!

not my breed though, can't help you there....

My comformation isn't all that great. haha i could use a few games of ball. :bgrin

It depends on whether you want to breed good sound animals or follow the breed standard, basically.

Your dog has a good length of leg- that is great and will help the soundness of the puppies- I know about Teckels (the foundation breed) but I do not care for Dachshunds, sorry, my friends Teckels hunt with his hounds- how many show ring Dachshunds do you know could do that???

So- if yo are breeding sound pets that will not have the back problems and displaced patellas common in this breed- go for it.

If yo want show ring success I am afraid he is just too well conformed to go there.

Personally I would like to see more depth of chest on an adult male but that may just be down to exercise and conditioning (although he looks great)

I have never raised this breed either, so what I see, is based ONLY on the dogs that I saw in the ring over the many years that I showed Chihuahuas. I picked up on the same things as the others...his head seems to need to be flatter, his legs(particularily his rear legs) seem to be too long, and he seems to need a deeper, broader chest.

If you are gettiing serious about where to go with the breed, I strongly suggest entering a few shows, or even going to watch shows, to see the "type" that are in the ring today. That is the best way to get a better understanding of "show quality". Good Luck... and by the way, he's a cutie!
default_yes.gif
:

Well I didn't think I wanted to show him... good gravy I barely have time and money for the few horse shows we go to! lol

But I was wondering if he would make a good sire or a *really* good sire... LOL

I've seen some dogs that I did not like and I like the way this guy looks. I have two other minis and I can see their faults quicker than I can see Brady's.

He's a pet and I love him to pieces.

He is a hound dog for sure-- he digs for the mice and other pests in the barn and will find a whole in the field and sniff and dig until we call him back. He's also a pretty good watch dog!

Thanks for your input!

Well I didn't think I wanted to show him... good gravy I barely have time and money for the few horse shows we go to! lol

But I was wondering if he would make a good sire or a *really* good sire... LOL

I've seen some dogs that I did not like and I like the way this guy looks. I have two other minis and I can see their faults quicker than I can see Brady's.

He's a pet and I love him to pieces.

He is a hound dog for sure-- he digs for the mice and other pests in the barn and will find a whole in the field and sniff and dig until we call him back. He's also a pretty good watch dog!

Thanks for your input!
Here is my 2 cents

Dogs are like horses if you want credibility from a breeding standpoint you better be showing
default_wink.png
: Dog breeders take breeding as seriously if not more so than horse breeders. There are many tests to be performed OFA, CERF, etc......a CH next to the name is nice BUT a working title can be as desirable depending on the breed, breeding a few litters because a dog/bitch is nice is very frowned on.

My advice is to apply your horse breeding ethics to dog breeding
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Speaking from experince,you should read and know your breed standard.I showed poodles for many years and having a nice stud dog is a honor like owning a nice stallion.Read up on the dachsund standard or go to a dog show and watch the dachsunds. Dog shows can be fun and you can see a lot of nice dogs. :saludando:

Hi Tracy. here is a pic of our smooth girl Hunter. She is major pointed just for comparison.

hunter.jpg

First thing I notice about your sweet boy is he is too long legged and light of bone. He is a little shallow in the depth of keep (chest) and he has a rise to his topline. His muzzle is nice, he is nicely muscled. His rear angulation is a little steep and his eyes a bit round.

There is an excellent description of the standard at www,akc.org.

Lyn

added. This is Harry who is sired by a champion out of a champion and is going into the show ring soon. He was 4 months old on this picture. His keel has yet to develope because he is not an adult. His angles are good as is his topline. He has good bone, not to much not too little. He looks a bit leggy but that is normal for a puppy of this age. When his chest drops the rest of the way it wont be as obvious and his back will also lengthen as he ages a bit more.

harry2007.jpg

Also wanted to add that Hunter is aptly named. She gets vermin from the barn and yard daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I appreciate your input. I have done research on the breed.

I'm not surprised that in the dog world people are irate about others that want a litter or two. I find that annoying, to be honest.

Lyn, I was hoping you'd give your 2 cents! :)

Latest posts

Back