Any tips on teaching granddaughter to sew?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
I have just started looking for a kid's sewing machine for my granddaughter, age 8 (it will be a Christmas present). She wants to make Barbie and American Girl outfits. I have set a sewing box aside and am starting to stock it up for her and ordered some patterns for her (thanks Marsha).

Would love to hear your experiences with teaching a child to be creative with crafts and/or sewing.

Lois

If she begins using felt for doll clothes it will be easier for her to start with. I am suggesting those 8X10 thinner craft felts in many colors. Little fingers can hold onto the felt easier than fabric and will not ravel and is easier to cut out. If you send me a pm of your address I will give you a vintage pattern for Barbie that was used for my girls 'way back when', if you care to have it.

I'm probably the last person who should offer tips on sewing since I am not an expert sewer at all but my mother started me on pot holders and then pillow cases. They were things that got used so I felt what I was doing had some value to others. It made me feel important
default_smile.png

Yes. Pillowcases for a beginner. Also a stuffed snake teaches turning inside out. Or she can sew the arms and bottom of a T shirt and make a pillow. She can draw a doll onto fabric, sew it, stuff it, and paint its face. Learning to thread the machine, and the coordination of guiding the fabric/operating the foot pedal are enough to start with. Set her up to succeed so she won't be discouraged.

Also, learning to thread a needle is hard for them. Making the beginning knot is the hardest! Mine like to sew buttons from my stash onto their doll clothes.

I made a little sewing kit in an antique box for a craft show one time. A friend (who couldn't even thread a needle) brought her grand daughter by my space and the child expressed interest in the kit. We sat down and learned to thread a needle, make a starting knot, and she sewed a button onto her shirt. She bought the little kit and my friend says the little girl still talks about the episode. You never know when you will make a memory for someone.

Wow, what great ideas. Thank you all! Thinking this is going to be fun. I am going to try and hold her off until after Christmas on using a sewing machine. Think I may start out with sewing some easy big embroidery stitches on felt and have her sew some buttons on too.

Thank you madmax for the Barbie clothes pattern. Hoping to make some Barbie clothing with my granddaughter soon. The pattern will be put to good use.

Lois

Lois, you are most welcome! I know you will be having fun with your granddaughter.

Dear Lois, what a surprise today, you are a crochet expert, I am humbled by your talent. You are a dear generous person, and I thank you, but I have really not deserved such a lovely gift. I so enjoy coming to the craft board, it gives me some minutes of fun in a stressful day.

Thank you. Your granddaughter will have a 'grand' teacher!

WISH I had some, because then I'd know how to sew. My mom made dresses for my sister and I in elementary school, and a big wardrobe for my barbies. I'd love to know how to sew for so many reasons. Most recently, I'd like to know how to take in some dresses that I love but don't fit right anymore -- plus, they're all SO much of a simple pattern and IF I did know how to sew, I could probably make them in all my favorite colors and prints. I've got my grandmother's sewing machine that I inherited, but I sure do not know how to use it
default_sad.png

You are welcome madmax. We all love this season of giving and who better to share gifts with than those who share their time, advice and thoughts with us throughout the year.

Lois

Hi Jill…it is never too late to learn to use that sewing machine.

You may find youtube helpful. There are many videos available about the older machines. Here are a few that came up when I put in "learning to sew on an older Singer machine" but there are many more on there.

How to wind the bobbin

Of course their are many more videos that people have shared that show you how to sew and cut out patterns, etc. And you can always ask questions here.

Lois

Lois, which size American girl doll is your granddaughter interested in, or already has?

My granddaughter, Ellie, got her sewing machine for Christmas.

ElliewithSewingMachine.jpg

I babysat the three girls and two were sick, so I got sick and was able to get things ready for her to sew but didn't get to watch her sew her first time. Her mom, of course, knows how to sew so she assisted her and here is her first completed project.

EllieWithKelsey.jpg

She used a pattern for this but has also made a skirt for her doll with no pattern. She already loves to sew!

Lois

She asked for buttons after she made this and I went through my smalls and sorted out a bunch of sets in different colors. We are going to tackle zippers soon and she is asking for ribbon also. Just sorting through that today and came across some fleece that she can use to make a jacket for her doll. It was on her list of "must make"!

So cute, a beautiful child, looks like all is going well for her first sewing!

I have an old pattern for dolls 12-15" for you, but it looks like it will be too small. But you can have it if you like.

My church group in the past would outfit 'naked' dolls provided by the Salvation Army to give to needy children and this pattern was what I used.

Latest posts

Back