Any on with a hyperbike...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BannerBrat

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hi guys,[/SIZE]

I have a few questions about the hyperbike, as my new frontier cart is not holding up to me & Banner. ):

Can you use it in the dressage/cones portion of CDE's? Can you use it for working on dressage, just working at home? (I thought Leia said something about not liking it for that..?)

Thank you guys, I'm kinda stuck here as I can't really afford it, but I'm hoping it would hold up to me & Banner...
default_unsure.png

Any opinions on the hyperbike; positive/negative would be great!

Hi Ashley, go to the web site www.CDE4VSE.com and join the forum there. A number of VSE drivers who frequent this forum own Hyperbikes, if you ask the question there, they will know the answer!

Enjoy,

Carole in TN

I don't about CDE's but all I know is that I absolutely love mine. I have had 2 other carts and nothing compares. My horse loves it too!

Ditto on the Hyperbike!

I don't do CDE, but perhaps Leia will arrive to help with this. I think the only thing she uses it in is marathon, though...I could be very wrong about that.

Anyhow, I have had mine now for 10 years and it is in great shape even withstanding my neglect, a few fractious horses and whatever coincidental damages. The original tires and tubes are still on it, too...

Liz

Sorry can't answer your question, I'm sure Leia will know.

BUT I want one, I really REALLY do!!

I SO want one!!!!

GIMMEE!!!!!
default_wacko.png

Hehe, here I am! (Dun-da-da-DAAA-da! *superhero music plays*)
default_laugh.png

BannerBrat said:
[SIZE=12pt]Can you use it in the dressage/cones portion of CDE's? Can you use it for working on dressage, just working at home? (I thought Leia said something about not liking it for that..?)[/SIZE]Thank you guys, I'm kinda stuck here as I can't really afford it, but I'm hoping it would hold up to me & Banner...
default_unsure.png

Any opinions on the hyperbike; positive/negative would be great!
No question that the Hyperbike would hold up to you guys. That thing holds up to anything!! And Liz and Amy will tell you what I've put mine through with my maniacal little horse....
default_whistling.gif

It really isn't appropriate for the dressage and cones phases. First of all you're required to wear an apron, something which looks REALLY silly draped over your horse's butt so it covers your knees.
default_rolleyes.gif
Second, the judge needs a good look at your horse's entire body and the way he's moving and he won't be able to see some of that through your knees and the aforementioned apron. And last, frankly, dressage is about elegance and tradition. Fantastic as the Hyperbike is, it's definitely more about "innovation" than "tradition!"
default_biggrin.png

You can use it for practicing dressage at home as you ought to be able to do dressage in a burlap bag and a halter. It's about how you ask your horse to work, not the equipment he's wearing.
default_wink.png
More seriously, it is a bit more difficult in the Hyperbike for several reasons. First of all it's harder to sit up and use your upper body correctly with the way your legs are up in the stirrups and that tension in your own body will be reflected in your horse. Not that they'll be tense or stiff, but they perhaps won't be as supple and soft as they could be because you aren't holding yourself up with your core muscles and turning your shoulders as freely. It's harder to do with a boat seat supporting your back like that. It's not impossible, but it is harder! You've got to be really self-aware to do upper level stuff in a way that will translate to your other cart and build good muscle memory. Another factor is the way the horses love the Hyperbike. Sometimes they're more in the mood to go fast in it and they want to drop their shoulders and fling themselves into turns because they adore the way the 'Bike spins. You've got to be prepared to get them thinking about work and to hold them out on the corners and such so they stay balanced and moving correctly. Again- possible, but harder. I spent a lot of the past few winters doing all my dressage lessons in the Hyperbike because I could keep it in the tackroom of the trailer instead of having to unload a heavier cart from the icy bed of the truck by myself and we did just fine, but my trainer did have me work on correcting for those factors and I know I definitely had to focus more.

The only other negative I can think of is that regular practice in the Hyperbike does not build the same amount of muscle as using a Frontier or heavier cart. Last winter I used my new Frontier for those same lessons because I really needed Kody to stay conditioned over the winter and I realized the Hyperbike was too easy for him. Come spring when I'd ask him to pull the Bellcrown, he simply wasn't ready for the weight. I regretted giving up the ease of transport of the Hyperbike and the fun of driving it, but it was better for my overall conditioning program for CDE's to use something else. I still use it for trail drives, beach drives, pleasure drives down the road, and of course official marathon practices but mostly I work him in the heavier carts so when I do put him in the Hyperbike he thinks he can fly. You wouldn't have to worry about that, but it was an issue for me.

Overall my review of the Hyperbike is entirely positive. The things I list above are only under the heading of being completely honest about my experiences and the specific dressage application you were enquiring about; I use the 'Bike for those things and it does just fine, no question! But it's not the 'Bike's strong point as that is not what it was designed for. The rougher the terrain, the faster the speed, the sharper the corners, the more you'll appreciate having a Hyperbike. You and Banner would really enjoy one and I know there are a couple floating around used right now that you might be able to pick up cheaper than buying one new. Good luck!

Kody will be back in the 'Bike as he rehabs from his injury hopefully this winter or at least next spring. I used it as he recovered from the stifle surgeries too and it was SO useful for that! There was no way he was ready to suddenly jump up to pulling a full-weight vehicle but I was able to put him in the 'Bike and work him up slowly to a greater weight and that was priceless. I love my 'Bike.
default_wub.png

Leia

Here is the hyperbike topic again! I soo want one of these everytime this cart comes up.
default_drool5.gif
I even have Graham Carriage website in my favorites. My dream long ago was to ride a horse on the beach, now, it's me and Jelly Bean cruising the fields and trails. We haven't been driving long and I just got a new EE for petes sake!
default_doh.gif

That does it! I'm getting the girls measurements tomorrow and ordering one. Hubby says GET IT You only live once, DO IT NOW! (gotta love him)

I can always sell it if we don't like it, right?

Candycar did you end up getting a hyperbike?

Hey Champ, I sure did! I ordered it the day after I posted I would. I have posted some about it on the photo gallery and back porch. Newest post is on the photo gallery.

I'm having a blast with it. We have had great weather so far this fall and have taken it out every chance we can.
default_risa8.gif

In Oct while she was at the National Drive in KY, Leia came and visited us and helped with the fine tuning of the harness fit and even tuned up Jelly Bean for me! We love Leia!
default_wub.png

Here's a pic of us taken last week. You can see my smile even from the back!

nov09013.jpg

Back