Any ideas???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl up*

Reaction score
My mini Gracie is impossible to catch. When I go into her pen she is already aware of where I'm at, and is careful to avoid me. I don't think It's that she is afraid of me or anything like that, It's just like a game to her. She runs around the pen with me chasing her, until I get close enough to her, when she just stands still and lets me put the halter on. She doesn't give me trouble while she's out, until it's time to put her up, then she tries to push her way through the gate while I'm trying to open it. It's a very annoying process. Do you have any ideas on how I can get her to stop?

aktion033.gif
Boy does she have you figured out! "Hey! Look it's MOM!" "Time to have some fun...ready...set...go!"

I think she's having fun with you. Surprise her one time. Enter and turn your back to her. Ignore her completely. It'll drive her nuts and she'll HAVE to come see what the devil you're doing. Easy catch.

Dimimore said:
aktion033.gif
Boy does she have you figured out!  "Hey!  Look it's MOM!"  "Time to have some fun...ready...set...go!"
I think she's having fun with you.  Surprise her one time.  Enter and turn your back to her.  Ignore her completely. It'll drive her nuts and she'll HAVE to come see what the devil you're doing.  Easy catch.

488728[/snapback]

Agreed.
wink.gif

I think she's having fun with you.  Surprise her one time.  Enter and turn your back to her.  Ignore her completely. It'll drive her nuts and she'll HAVE to come see what the devil you're doing.  Easy catch.
488728[/snapback]

My thoughts too. I have one like that and she can't stand not knowing what I am doing with my back turned to her.
wink.gif

Good Luck!

I do also agree but I don't have a lot of time to play these games. When I need to catch a horse I need to catch them without the messing around, so I use plain old bribery. They know when they see me that I've got a treat.
wink.gif

Thanks, I'll try that next time, and I'll give her a treat once we get out the gate. (trickery and bribery hehehe)

Sorry, my computer hasn't been cooperating lately, so I haven't been able to get on.

It didn't work, I went in and ignored her, and she came over, but stopped and stared at me when she got 20 feet away. Then she ran off again when I walked toward her.

What she needs to see is an incentive. Is she your only mini? If not fuss around with the oats or hay and set some in the area in which she is suppose to go to.. Make sure she see's you. Then walk away, and see if she follows you or watches... Eventually she will figgure out that in order to get to her food she needs to come to you.. Hold out til she does. You may have to try a few times.. Even bring a pan up to the gate to entise her.. I dont need to do this anymore, but mine will do just about anything for some oats.
yes.gif
I have one girl that has a little fit if she isnt the first to come in to eat, and has to watch the others being brought in and fed first
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Margaret said:
What she needs to see is an incentive.  Is she your only mini? If not fuss around with the oats or hay and set some in the area in which she is suppose to go to.. Make sure she see's you.  Then walk away,  and see if she follows you or watches... Eventually she will figgure out that in order to get to her food she needs to come to you.. Hold out til she does.  You may have to try a few times.. Even bring a pan up to the gate to entise her..  I dont need to do this anymore, but mine will do just about anything for some oats. 
yes.gif
I have one girl that has a little fit if she isnt the first to come in to eat, and has to watch the others being brought in and fed first
laugh.gif

501088[/snapback]

No, she is in a pen with 7 other mares.

Also, she came to us abused... Maybe that might be of some help.

Oh, and me and Eliza (cowgirl up*) go to the same barn, incase anyone was wondering..
yes.gif

*Edited for grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does make a difference.. Especially if the abusive owners punished her for running from them also.
new_shocked.gif
You will need to spend some much needed one on one time with her to gain back her trust.. Grooming on a tie, touching her in kind and gentle ways, just being around daily her will help this along.. Sometimes doing the "circular shoulder scratch" as the mares often do to each other may help to lessen her apprehension, and help her realize you mean no harm while talking softly to her.. . Once she is more relaxed about being approached, then she should line up at the gate for feeding time with the rest. But it will take time to undo..

I've recently become a big fan of clicker training!!! It really does work! If you could first start out with a "click" and then treat, she'll soon learn that click = treat. It will take no time at all for her to put those two together and within a short time if you go up to her with a halter and "click", she'll come running right over!

Liz R.

Back