Any good ideas on feeding tiny pellets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
Finally found a supplement that covered everything I was looking for, just having trouble administering it lol. It comes in pellets but they are so tiny. I tried feeding by hand but half of it gets pushed onto the ground or they end up trying to use their teeth to get it (ouch). Tried wrapping their portion in a small slice of bread and squishing into a ball, then thrust into an open mouth. That worked once then the next day they wanted to bite it in half before taking it from me so it spills on the ground again. Last trick I've tried is in a bowl, but they just seem to have a hard time getting it out with out spilling it.The pellets are about the width of a matchstick and probably a quarter in length. if they spill it they get lost in the grass.

I've thought of a few more time consuming alternatives but just thought i'd put it out there to anybody who has any better ideas than what i've already tried. I could put it in feed containers but our goats would try to get at it and either eat it all or get a swift two back hooves in the gut.

Thanks in advance

What about mixing it into a little bit of soaked beet pulp? A little more work, but not too bad.

I'm always amazed at just how tiny of stuff the horses can pick up with their lips and eat, so just putting it in their dish might work.

I add molasses to powdered and tiny pellet supplements and feed it in a rubber dish.

Add to normal food or mix with a little soaked beet as suggested. Feed in a big enough bowls so food doesn't 'spill' out as they raise their heads to chew. BUT be very careful not to let goats get near horse food - dont know if horsey grub will effect goats, but I lost two many years ago when they got at some chicken feed!

Thanks all, will try the mixing method.

Yes our goats are the same, if you let them near a whole bag of grain they'd eat the lot without stopping!

To avoid losing expensive pelleted supplements I too use a little soaked beet pulp in winter, and soaked hay pellets in summer. Then I can also add in their Omega flax, salt, or anything else I don't want wasted. They think it's a treat and they get a little extra water too.

Latest posts

Back