Any bird-folks still awake??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
Lulu, our white tiel, just had a cat-induced night terror episode. Well, she and Bosco both did, but she's the one who's hurt. She's got some blood coming off one of her wings, enough that it was dripping fairly alarmingly, over her foot, and on the couch when I took her out to get a closer look. I can't tell exactly which feather it is, but it is a flight feather (a short one, she's clipped).

I can't remember; am I supposed to pull it out? I've never had to do that, and I'm not sure I could. Is Kwik-Stop safe to use on birds, to dab a little on the bloody quill? She is already trying to clean herself up; it's no longer dripping freely but it doesn't look completely clotted off to me, a bit oozey. The wing is functioning fine and she's holding it normally and doesn't seem to be in pain.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Suzanne

(she of the late-night emergencies)
default_wacko.png
:

YES - use the Kwik stop!!!! I hope I'm not too late posting this. Your bird could bleed to death.

MA

If you have a broken feather with blood coming out of it....do pull the feather out or the birf could bleed to death. Hope you have it taken care of by now. Mary

Lulu, our white tiel, just had a cat-induced night terror episode. Well, she and Bosco both did, but she's the one who's hurt. She's got some blood coming off one of her wings, enough that it was dripping fairly alarmingly, over her foot, and on the couch when I took her out to get a closer look. I can't tell exactly which feather it is, but it is a flight feather (a short one, she's clipped).

I can't remember; am I supposed to pull it out? I've never had to do that, and I'm not sure I could. Is Kwik-Stop safe to use on birds, to dab a little on the bloody quill? She is already trying to clean herself up; it's no longer dripping freely but it doesn't look completely clotted off to me, a bit oozey. The wing is functioning fine and she's holding it normally and doesn't seem to be in pain.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Suzanne

(she of the late-night emergencies)
default_wacko.png
:

Good morning. Lulu stopped oozing last night about 30 minutes after I posted. I wrestled a bit with her but didn't have enough hands to hold her, and the wing, and the tweezers. Thank goodness she's not a biter, but she was screaming and squirming. I need to go down to our local bird store and have the lady there show me exactly how pluck one of those without doing more damage. I was afraid I was going to hurt her more and she was getting pretty worked up. So we kept an eye/ear on her all night and, after I get some more coffee into my system I'm going to wrap her up again and try to get another look.

Thank you so much for your fast replies. I knew, although it didn't look all that serious, that bleeding quills could be the end of a bird and was pretty scared for her. I knew the Kwik-Stop was safe for their nails, but with the preening, wasn't sure about putting it on a feather. You guys are the best.

Back