Any 4H/ FFA Moms out there??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
My husband was in FFA... has the jacket, etc. etc. He really wants Stephen to do well in FFA. Stephen had his first meeting and wanted to show "Snoooooooooy" our goat... I said "NO", because she's a rescue animal and I am happy each day we wake up and she's fine, not a show goat.

So Stephen says he'll show Pressa our QH mare. I'm nervous on that one. She is a sweetheart for ME.. and a witch to everyone else that gets near her.

So I asked about showing a mini. We have two that are now driving and our gelding works well with Stephen. The gelding drives, rides, jumps, and does anything we ask of him, and will still keep going. I do worry about him, because he's still a little stallion y. Our mini mare is a sweetie, but she hesitates frequently.

I was surprised that here in Marion co. they combine 4H and FFA. Also, I've seen the 4H shows here, and it's nothing for the children to have horses that cost $25K or more. So I have to wonder if Stephen and our dear old Magic would be feeling intimidated by the full size horses they might have to compete with. I'm trying to get a clarifacation on the rules, but right now, Mag would be in the Geldings under 14.2 hands.

So HELP... point me in the right direction. What do I need to ask, and what do we need to do ? Mag would be good at in hand classes, as long they don't judge him by his height. I'm sure the parents of the children with the big expensive horses wouldn't be thrilled at having Mag in a show ring. He shows off in front of large horses, but they sort of freak at the idea of a little mini around them.

TIA

Lynn W

Don't know if I'll be of any help or not, but I'll try. Here in our county they also combine 4-H, Jr. Show and FFA. We have classes for ponies by themselves. Of course we usually have to compete against POA and Quarter type ponies, but we usually do just fine & place in the top three every year so far. A good judge is supposed to judge them as he sees them for their breed standard. In other words, he should look at a POA and say does this one fit the breed standard for POA/ If he sees a mini, does it look like a mini should etc. Obviously conformation is key, but most breeds have standards and the conformation should hold true to the breed. If they do not have seperate pony classes (we only have one open -all ages, breeds and mare/gelding are all combined) then I would try a few diffent ideas. First, try asking ahead of time for a pony only class. Be aware that planning is done very early for the next year's show so think ahead Secondly, if that doesn't happen, try to go in the most age appropriate if possible i.e. yearlings, 2 yr old etc. Last ditch effort, find the least desireable or the smallest horse you see and follow it in the ring - the judge may come by and think, this is certainly better than that other horse there. I hate to use that practice, but if the odds are stacked against you sometimes you just do it that way, but a good judge may not fall for it :).

Also a couple notes. GROOM, GROOM, and double GROOM. It is amazing how much better these minis look when clipped really good and finished for show. Also, if you are concerned about the big horses being frightened by the little ones, here is something to consider. First, if you'd like to be kind, you could go last so to distance yourself a bit and not be in the thick of things, but honestly, part of being a show horse is being able to tolerate new things and the other horses should be able to deal with it. So unless you're worried about your son's safety from the other horses, don't let it worry you what others think if it makes their horse nervous. OK, long post so I'll shut up now. Just wanted to throw some ideas at you.

Much depends on your local group and the people in it. Minis are not always well received at big horse shows, yes they do scare the big guys lol. We had a wonderful 4H group here when my daughter was younger - I managed the show a couple of years and had input the others, so was able to add mini classes when we started showing them too. My daughter did show in open halter classes against QHs a time or two, and usually held her own. The big drawback at the time - and I don't know whether it's changed - was that no matter what the local 4H show did, there were no classes for them at the District or State shows.

I think what js1arab said is key - start early talking to show management, and drum up entries. They are more apt to give you classes if you can assure them more than 1-2 entries for the class. They are alloting time and buying awards for extra classes, and the club loses money on it if they have one entry. Offer to sponsor a class or so yourself, maybe even do an exhibition during the lunch break to show what you can do with minis. Good luck with it.

Jan

Also, I've seen the 4H shows here, and it's nothing for the children to have horses that cost $25K or more. So I have to wonder if Stephen and our dear old Magic would be feeling intimidated by the full size horses they might have to compete with.

TIA

Lynn W

I don't know how it would work with the minis and I've been out of 4-H for nearly 20 years, but... My 4-H horse was a $500 half-Arab gelding without professional training; we held our own with those kids that had the push-button ($25K) horses their parents bought for them. I say go for it. [Yes, big horses are sometimes scared of the minis, but it's something a 4-H horse should learn about; you never know what you might encounter at 4-H fair.]

Perhaps if you could find some more children with minis...or are willing to allow others to use your horses...you could start up a 4-H Miniature Horse Project. This was the first year for such an endevour here in Nova Scotia, and we have been well-received.

I'm not a 4H/FFA mom, but will a dad do? Lauren uses miniatures in the shows here. Met some resistance at first, but now several have joined in and are enjoying it.

I'm not a 4-H mom, but I was in 4-H for 10 years while growing up. It was hard having the mini in the club since most activities were focused on big horses. My club was very nice and added mini classes like halter obstacle and jumping. For halter, showmanship, and driving I competed against the full size horses. It was never a problem and if someone gets upset that your mini is "scaring" their horse then they have to realize at shows they will encounter a variety of different environments and you are not to blame that their horse was not prepared. I always had a lot of fun, no one was upset I came, and the minis got a lot of attention and usually ended up in the local paper. All in all, the club will most likely work with you. If they can't add a class, then they may allow you to do a demonstration. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back