Anxious Colt? Separation Anxiety?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I brought a 4 month old colt home two weeks ago and he has been paired up with my coming 4 year old gelding. I honestly just don't know what to make of the colt.

He is a sweet little guy when he has a halter on and is being handled by me. He is only just now starting to come up to you and sniff you. I have noticed that no matter what, if you take away his "big brother" he defecate. It doesn't matter if he's in stall or what, but he's defecate multiple times and begin pacing frantically. For me to feed him I have to physically sit in his stall with him so that he'll quit pacing and actually eat. I pet him, rub on him, talk to him; yet he shakes slightly.

He also won't eat his entire feed. And he CANNOT stand having his halter on. He's doing great when it comes to letting me put his halter on and stuff, but he tries to rub it off. He also can't stand having his ears touched. I'm not sure if he has a sensitive poll or something is out of place?

I'm lost right now. I have high hopes for little guy and would love to show him. I would like to do so without having to bring his big brother along and stalling them together.

*sigh* I haven't decided if I'm going to geld him or not (I think I'll decide when he turns 2 or 3, I don't want to take the choice away), and I really don't want to have a stallion with anxiety issues.

Here's some pictures because I love them.

994600_530206237065923_953965725_n.jpg

1157706_530206163732597_1788767853_n.jpg

1016423_530206400399240_1312617756_n.jpg

And just to show the size difference.

1238973_530206427065904_483379647_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn him out with other horses! He's too young to breed anyway, but pregnant mares would be a good choice. Rotate who he goes out with frequently. Turn him out alone a day or two a week. Leave him in a day or two a week. Don't sit with him to get him to eat. No healthy animal will starve to death with food in front of them. If he's truly hungry, he will eat.

For the ears, touch them more! Start easy. I touch your ears, I give a cookie. Wean off the cookie quickly though. And don't be nervous about it! Don't feel bad for him! He has how many hours a day to do what he wants? You want to touch his ears for 10 minutes, so be it. Don't fuss, or molly coddke him, just act like its no big deal, that he's reacting over nothing, and carry on. Not necessarily discipline, but don't let him strike, rear, etc.

Just sounds like he needs more miles in the halter. Leave it on while you do chores. Our filly was a jerk about the halter at first too. Now she's fine.

Good luck with him! He will turn out just fine I'm sure!

I'm thinking at 4 months old, he's more reacting to the changes in his life, and he's found a new "friend/parent" and doesn't want to lost him too like he lost his home environment. I really think that as he matures, he will become more horse-like and stable, as his hormones begin to give him a new sense of self. With what you are describing, I'd start him on some ulcer treatment, to make sure he doesn't cause himself an ulcer which would add to the feeding problems. I would also suggest that you add some type of Alfalfa (hay, cubes or pellets) to his feed, just as a tummy soother during this rough time. It will also give him a protein boost, which at his age is pretty important for him and his developing bones/muscles.

He's a pretty boy, and I'm sure after some more time with you, he'll realize he's at "home" and come around. Remember, he's been through a lot of changes, and he may just need time to adjust.

JMHO ~~ Diane

I agree with Diane - two weeks is no time for any horse to settle into new surroundings, new handling, new routines, let alone one as young as 4 months and probably only recently weaned.

Just give him time, be understanding with your requests of him as far as behaviour is concerned, at the moment he is confused and stressed but given time he will start to settle. I see no reason why he shouldn't have one close companion at this time, of course another baby of a similar age would be the best thing so he would have someone to race and chase with to use up some of his surplus (nervous) energy, but your 4 year old seems to be happy to act as a 'uncle' for the present. There is no way I would turn a young colt (or any strange foal for that matter) out with your mares, they will probably object most strongly to a young 'upstart' and he could easily be attacked, kicked etc.

He's a lovely looking little fella and I'm sure with a little time and plenty of patience you will soon have a star on your hands.
default_yes.gif

You might want to consider putting him on ulcer meds, ulcers are pretty common in young horses post weaning and not cleaning up grain can be a symptom ... and he is certainly showing signs of anxiety.

I come from big horses so I'm a little less tolerant of some of the things babies don't like, and if they don't like something such as having ears touched that means I do it more. At first I leave halters on if they are in a stall or restricted area where they can't get in trouble. If I have one who doesn't like being caught or who needs halter time but is in a pasture I make sure it's a light weight single thickness leather one that will break if he gets in trouble.

When I brought my current guy home he hated heaving his head or ears touched, shied when touched on his right side, and reared if you touched his face on the right. It took a couple of months but now you can do anything to him on either side, fold his ears up and play with them, rub his face anywhere, give scritches, and he loves it. Just go slow and keep doing it, day after day, little treats help a lot too.

I didn't read all the responses, but my first thought is that this poor guy has been through an incredible amount of stress in a short time and is showing it! I know someone else mentioned ulcers and I would certainly treat for that. Generic Ranitidene from Wal-Mart has worked well for us and is inexpensive, but you do need to give it several times a day. Some other things to try that we like (and he should like too) are soaked alfalfa cubes or any alfalfa that is easy to obtain. Cubes don't have to be soaked very long, but just until they break down enough to be easy to chew. Those will help any ulcer issue (but not cure them) and boost the protein in his feed which is also important. You might also try some Calf Manna which you can get in 10 pound bags and a little goes a long way. It is 25% protein, but also very palatable, so encourages eating. Check out the 4-H section on our website (link below) for more info on feeding weanlings.)

Of course your colt is bonding with his buddy because he is missing his Mom. I would not worry too much about any of the behavior you are seeing now, as when he settles in, feels and eats better, and gets more consistent handling, he should be fine. He sounds to me like a normal (but very stressed) weanling who has not gotten much handling. He is very nice and I wish you well with him!!!

ETA: About who to turn him out with: We are weaning our 4 1/2 month old foals now and they are turned out with carefully selected herd members, and watched to see how they get along. They still act like they are joined at the hip and after one week they rarely interact willingly with the other minis. I think it is important for young foals - colts especially - to learn manners and their place in the herd from other members. But some have safer ways of doing it than others! I think it is great your guy has one buddy, but as you are finding, he will get so close to the one that they may become inseparable. Once he settles down and gets used to one buddy, I would add other herd members (if that is the long term goal) watching them closely. We have left our colts with the herd until they are about 8 months old (late winter) and feel this is good discipline for them. But by March, they are either gelded or separated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read all the responses, but my first thought is that this poor guy has been through an incredible amount of stress in a short time and is showing it! I know someone else mentioned ulcers and I would certainly treat for that. Generic Ranitidene from Wal-Mart has worked well for us and is inexpensive, but you do need to give it several times a day. Some other things to try that we like (and he should like too) are soaked alfalfa cubes or any alfalfa that is easy to obtain. Cubes don't have to be soaked very long, but just until they break down enough to be easy to chew. Those will help any ulcer issue (but not cure them) and boost the protein in his feed which is also important. You might also try some Calf Manna which you can get in 10 pound bags and a little goes a long way. It is 25% protein, but also very palatable, so encourages eating. Check out the 4-H section on our website (link below) for more info on feeding weanlings.)

Of course your colt is bonding with his buddy because he is missing his Mom. I would not worry too much about any of the behavior you are seeing now, as when he settles in, feels and eats better, and gets more consistent handling, he should be fine. He sounds to me like a normal (but very stressed) weanling who has not gotten much handling. He is very nice and I wish you well with him!!!

ETA: About who to turn him out with: We are weaning our 4 1/2 month old foals now and they are turned out with carefully selected herd members, and watched to see how they get along. They still act like they are joined at the hip and after one week they rarely interact willingly with the other minis. I think it is important for young foals - colts especially - to learn manners and their place in the herd from other members. But some have safer ways of doing it than others! I think it is great your guy has one buddy, but as you are finding, he will get so close to the one that they may become inseparable. Once he settles down and gets used to one buddy, I would add other herd members (if that is the long term goal) watching them closely. We have left our colts with the herd until they are about 8 months old (late winter) and feel this is good discipline for them. But by March, they are either gelded or separated.
How much Calf Manna do you feed? I don't know much about the brand or anything. I am planning on feeding afalfa pellets/cubes.
default_smile.png

I think the plan is to keep him with my gelding until he's gelded (If I do). Otherwise he will not be out with any mares. Thanks for the response!

You might want to consider putting him on ulcer meds, ulcers are pretty common in young horses post weaning and not cleaning up grain can be a symptom ... and he is certainly showing signs of anxiety.

Do you have any suggestions for meds? I'm planning on going in to talk to my vet tomorrow and get her opinion. I have never used an ulcer med and I do think he may be at risk.
default_sad.png

I agree with Diane - two weeks is no time for any horse to settle into new surroundings, new handling, new routines, let alone one as young as 4 months and probably only recently weaned.

Just give him time, be understanding with your requests of him as far as behaviour is concerned, at the moment he is confused and stressed but given time he will start to settle. I see no reason why he shouldn't have one close companion at this time, of course another baby of a similar age would be the best thing so he would have someone to race and chase with to use up some of his surplus (nervous) energy, but your 4 year old seems to be happy to act as a 'uncle' for the present. There is no way I would turn a young colt (or any strange foal for that matter) out with your mares, they will probably object most strongly to a young 'upstart' and he could easily be attacked, kicked etc.

He's a lovely looking little fella and I'm sure with a little time and plenty of patience you will soon have a star on your hands.
default_yes.gif
Thanks for the compliments!

I'm thinking at 4 months old, he's more reacting to the changes in his life, and he's found a new "friend/parent" and doesn't want to lost him too like he lost his home environment. I really think that as he matures, he will become more horse-like and stable, as his hormones begin to give him a new sense of self. With what you are describing, I'd start him on some ulcer treatment, to make sure he doesn't cause himself an ulcer which would add to the feeding problems. I would also suggest that you add some type of Alfalfa (hay, cubes or pellets) to his feed, just as a tummy soother during this rough time. It will also give him a protein boost, which at his age is pretty important for him and his developing bones/muscles.

He's a pretty boy, and I'm sure after some more time with you, he'll realize he's at "home" and come around. Remember, he's been through a lot of changes, and he may just need time to adjust.

JMHO ~~ Diane
Thanks for the compliments. I am planning on feeding Triple Crown Growth and some alfalfa cubes/pellets. How much pellets/cubes should I feed? I would like to add ulcer treatment (as I said above).

I am in college classes right now and have to go to work immediately right after until close (late night...) and asked my mom to sit with him in a stall and feed him a couple handfuls of TC Growth, just to make sure he's eating something. I feel for the kid. He makes my heart ache. I'd say with all the food and treatment I'm planning on feeding him, he is gonna be a fat, happy, healthy boy when I clip him in May! (LOL!)

Whenever I would change barns, it would take my big guy literally a month to settle down for me to even be able to ride him. He would be screaming, head all high, not listening to me and would actually try to buck me off which all was very uncharacteristic of him. He was always a high anxiety horse. Until he hit Id say around 25 did his nerves calmn down and moves do not phase him at all. This last move to a new farm I think mom here was more nervous than him. I figured he would be all upset, heck he never seen minis before and he didnt even look at them twice as they were running the fence lines when he got off the trailer hah. I think if he was younger he would have been snorting and the whole nine yards like he use to do.

Some horses old, young, big, small just do not take to change well. You just have to be patient and work with them the best you can until they settle down into their new environment.

I feel sorry for him! He's only a baby and was weaned before 4 months so poor little thing he's only been in this big old world for a very short time and he's been taken away from his mother, the only home he has known so far, put on a trailer,. taken away from his familiar surroundings and plunked into a new place. All that in 4 short months. I really wish breeders wouldn't be that fast to sell their babies like that! I think its wrong on every level. I'd be doing an ucler treatment too and letting him be with his buddy also. To him, his little time in the world has been a not nice place so far and your gelding is all he has in the world right now.

I also want to add that I never leave any one horse in my barn alone. That's just no fair to have everyone else out somewhere and one all alone. I wouldn't do that to him if he were mine because I think its cruel and besides, a good way for them to get hurt really bad. I'm glad he has a buddy and someone like you who cares. Best wishes.

I would not worry about him getting too attached to your gelding. Like Marty said, he's young, in a strange place, he is lost and confused. Give him time to get used to everything, when he settles in and is eating good--and do what you have to to coax him to eat!!--he does not need to be shut in by himself, and he sure dies not need to be kicked out with the mares!! -- once he is settled in and you start working with him more, he will be quite different from how he is now. I don't expect you will have any trouble taking him to a show without his buddy, and he will be much less fussy when you take his buddy away. Right now he is a listless, worried baby and you shouldn't expect too much from him.

I just wanted to update. I went to my vet and consulted with her about Ulcer treatment. We spent a half hour trying to figure out a dosage for him. You know those lines that tell you each quarter of a tube? He's gets 1/3rd of that a day. LOL. I told my vet she'd hate him more than she does my other horses. She thought my minis had small mouths to float? She hasn't even seen this guy and his relatives!

I bought him Ulcer Guard and gave that to him tonight, along with some Ivermectin. I also started him on *some* alfalfa pellets soaked up. We also put out a round bale in his lot with his buddy, so they have something to munch on when they're not eating.

Things, will be going good.
default_smile.png

Well done you! Having something to munch on (trickle feeding) will help with his stomach acid/possible ulcers alongside the ulcer treatment.
default_yes.gif

I just wanted to update on this. Brett is still having a little bit of issues. I sold my gelding suddenly and he's out with the herd now, only because we don't have any other way to feed two separate groups until winter (hay bales). I've been feeding him Triple Crown Growth and alfalfa pellets which I mix into a mash. I am thinking that he could really use some sort of supplement, either Grow Colt or Calf Manna. I'm really not sure which, I emailed Smartpak and they actually just suggested Grow Colt instead of suggesting a supplement for adults.

I just don't know what else to put him on.

Here he was October 20th:

1381638_547164132036800_1375796760_n.jpg

Well he is a cute little begger, that's for sure.
LOL! I'll tell you said that. He's a sweet little tyke, but is prone to throwing fits.
default_rolleyes.gif

He's getting really good at being around people (he's was pretty wild when I got him two months ago) and actually at my vet appointment I had him loose and he just thought my vet was the most interesting person he'd seen, including her floating tools. Boys. lmao.

He's getting really good with setting up for me, but is having issues with throwing his little head and wanting to scratch his halter off.

He's just such a baby. Attention span zero. Let him thrive and grow and be a horse and throwing fits is part of it. He'll do quite well.

He's just such a baby. Attention span zero. Let him thrive and grow and be a horse and throwing fits is part of it. He'll do quite well.

That's not what I'm talking about. I was responding to the above poster, not saying that, that was why I wanted to put him on a supplement.

Fed at the proper amounts the TC Growth should be all he needs for "grain", add a good hay (baled, cubes, pellets), salt and water and he should be good to go.

Back