Another school shooting,,,,,,just how do we protect our kids??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
There has been yet another school shooting today in an Amish Community. :no:

In the last week we have had shootings in very small community's, small community's and a somewhat larger community. Your size makes no difference. Sick people are in all communities of all sizes.

Where does it end? How do we protect our children? And I sure hope you are not one of those who insist it will never happen in your community. I'd be willing to bet these 3 latest communities would say they never "thought" it could happen either.

How do we protect our kids? What is your school doing?

Our school: back packs have to be clear, no jacket longer than waist length, only one set of doors is unlocked through the day, if you are caught propping a locked door open during school hours, 3 day suspension, no case larger than a laptop case allowed, exceptions are band instruments that have to have approved sticker on the outside part of case. No unauthorized adult is to be in the halls at anytime. As a parent I am only allowed in the office area. Hot line that allows any student to report anything heard such as threads and the person who reports does not have to leave his/her name.

What more can we do? What does your school do? AND, is it ever enough????

For sure makes me want to keep my 8th grader at home.

My thoughts and prayers are with these families who have lost a loved one in what should be a safe enviroment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting here watching CNN and the Lancaster tv station on the internet. My God, shooting up an Amish School? They are saying it was an older man and He killed himself after sooting a bunch of kids. 4 school shootings in one week. What is going on in this country. Its utter madness. :no:

So sad...there is no reason for these senseless crimes! :no:

I know I am very leery of people anymore. You just never know until it is too late what some people are capable of.
default_sad.png

I will keep this community in my thoughts and prayers.

There was one just in Wi I am guessing sometime last week. Seen it on the news last night

WI and CO was just last week.

Also today, 2 schools in Las Vegas in a lock down looking for an armed youth. :no:

Any other facts available yet? My daughter lives there. Or near there.

Thanks

Bonnie

Updates

This page is updating pretty often.

Latest:A gunman kills six people in a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Pennsylvania. In Colorado, a drifter walks into a school and fatally shoots a student before taking his own life. Wisconsin authorities charge three boys with plotting a bomb attack on their high school and, two weeks later, a student in a rural school allegedly shoots his principal. A gunman bursts into a Vermont elementary school looking for his ex-girlfriend and guns down a teacher.

All of this in the past month alone.

While some may disagree with me I think part of the issue is the media attention these type of things get. yes I understand it something some feel we should know. Although why on earth we all needed to know that the man in CO was sexually assulting the few girls he kept I will never know (but that is another story)

I think sometimes the infamous feeling that goes along with one of these is sometimes a motivator?

Did this happen in Lancaster Ohio? We live not to far from it. I seen on the other thread something about Lancaster and the only Lancaster i know of is here in Ohio. I was just there, got my homecoming dress there at their mall! :new_shocked:

I think sometimes the infamous feeling that goes along with one of these is sometimes a motivator?
I was thinking the same thing lately too, Lisa.

There was a major shooting at a college in Montreal not too long ago (we don't seem to get as many up here as there seems to be in the US).

I just don't understand why people would walk into a school and randomly shoot people (and an Amish school???? what's up with that?? Was the guy even a member of the Amish community??). I mean if they knew the person (or persons), not that it makes it right by any means, but at least there is some type of motive, whether it was the person was really upset with those people whatever....but I don't understand why they randomly pick a school to do this. Except for the fact that it will get them all over the news and get them 'known'

~kathryn

I don't think banning long coats and bog bags will help much. If someone wants to do it they will find a way to do it. if cant hide a long weapen they they will use a small one last time i looked into it a pistol and kill someone too. I think the answer lies in the conucling that is avaible for childern. Not all kids want to go get it even if it is free so parents, peers, and teachers all have to be on the look out and offer help. Also I think more help has to be offered for adults, I don't know of any where adults can go for free advice at all. It makes me mad to hear that they really think that regulating how many doors are locked and what kids can bring to school is there way of dealing with this kind of thing. to me that seems like a quick fix just to make people feel safer. I do relize that a stranger can come walking into any school at any time. They need to have a plan and teach the kids what to do in a case like this, My school has a plan for something like this happening and lucky for us we have not had to use it for real yet and hopefully never will.

My heart goes out to all those who lost someone in any school shooting ever, it is a horrible way to loose someone.

-Vanessa

I think they put WAY to much on TV and all it does it give kids and adults ideas in there heads. We nver heard of any of this until the Columbine, (sp) shooting, I honestly do believe it gave ideas to others. Corinne

After the Dunblane shooting over here I made a point of forgetting the b*stards name- at least that way "it" will be remembered as the b*stard that murdered 19 innocent people, and not by name.

Adding:-

I do not care why it was done, I do not wish to hear of "its" problems at work or the stress under which"it" had been.

I put this on a par with the "its" that hijacked the 911 planes- I do not CARE.

They are murderers plain and simple and have robbed innocent lives of their futures and families of their love.

Over here after the first burst of shock and outrage none of the channels published "its" name- almost by mutual agreement, it seemed.

If all channels everywhere did this then at least the "its" out there would not be remembered.

It drives me nuts when that smirking "it" that planted the Oklahoma bombs is actually shown on prime time TV, sometimes even allowed to speak- WHY???

What have they possibly got to say that we would want to hear??

After the Dunblane shooting over here I made a point of forgetting the b*stards name- at least that way "it" will be remembered as the b*stard that murdered 19 innocent people, and not by name.
EXACTLY! They don't deserve any notoriety - but those poor little girls - we'll never learn their names
default_sad.png

:new_shocked: Locking the school doors leaves open another disaster waiting here after they started locking doors there was an outbreak of fires. QUICKLY PUT OUT BUT may not have been.

Every locked door at our school CAN be opened from the inside. By locking the doors, they are only keeping someone from opening it from the outside.

Wanted to add that we also have a CODE for this type of emergency.

If a tornado or firealarms drill would be dangerous to issue, someone goes on the speaker and uses a CODE word,,,,,,,all teachers know what to do if that happens.

There are electric/battery operated special radios in each classroom. Each has what they call a panic button on them. So if teacher in classroom #10 hits the panic button, the radio goes off in all other classrooms, again teachers know what the situation is and what to do. This is in case an intruder comes in and goes to a specific room, they could hopefull get the rest of the school cleared. Fool proof, probably not, but is better than nothing.

What to do? Homeschool your kids, or move to small-town Canada where people seem to MUCH less homicidal, and the only people who have guns are those that really need to have them (farmers, hunters).

We get the occasional crazy up here, but nothing like down in the states. Between the nut jobs and the expensive education and health care, I don't know why anyone still lives there!

better parents, metal detectors, CCTV cameras, school gaurds (not jsut one, but 4-5), and homeschooling...lol

Latest posts

Back