Another question about dwarf traits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Hi again, I have no intention of breeding my little Ellie who shows only one sign of dwarfism which is a bit of a roached back....My question is if both her parents were perfectly normal , and Ellie has no other problems, what would the odds be of her producing a dwarf? Or producing a normal foal? How is this determined? Thanks and thanks again! Trish

Both her parents I belive could look quite normal but they both must have carried the dwarf gene in order to be able to produce a dwarf. It's all so very confusing about dwarves in minis because there are no full studies that have been done about dwarfism in mnis and they aren't even sure if both parents have to carry the gene or not. Maybe some day they will find the gene that causes it and find out if both do. I have a gelding who had a full brother who was born a dwarf but my gelding has absolutely no dwarf characteristics so I think the odds are 50 percent that a dwarf would have been born from that combination again. I am glad to see though that you aren't going to play russian roulette with your litte mare and take a chance. Maybe the baby would be fine but perhaps your mare wouldn't make it through the birthing process and it wouldn't be worth the risk to lose her.

....My question is if both her parents were perfectly normal , and Ellie has no other problems, what would the odds be of her producing a dwarf? Or producing a normal foal? How is this determined? Thanks and thanks again!

Hi Trish,

Your question is a bit hard to answer, as her parents couldn't be perfectly 'normal' genetically if they produced a dwarf (I'm not saying your mare is as I don't know anything about her.). They may look normal phenotypically, but their genotype would both have to carry a dwarf gene to produce a dwarf.

If you look up mendelian genetics, dwarfism, etc., you'll find plenty of information to educate yourself on breeding, something to do before you consider breeding regardless.

I personally wouldn't breed your mare has any dwarf characteristics. There are plenty of quality mares out there if you feel the need to breed and lots of foals born that could use a good home should you want to raise a mini!

You've already gotten some great advice and similar to what I would say.

I had a little mare w/a pretty severe underbite and oddly shaped head (both were related, I believe).

I think it was one sign that she may be a dwarf carrier or a very minimally afflicted dwarf (I guess she WAS a dwarf b/c you can't be just a "little bit" and not BE that).

I just didn't want to risk it. That would be how I would approach your condition. Dwarf trait or not, that roach back, in my case, bad underbite, was grounds to toss 'em out of the breeding shed and find another purpose (there are MANY) for them in life.

Many of the dwarfism "traits" are somewhat arbitrary and I feel that still others are inapparent to most of us by virtue of their nature (such as enlarged internal organs, or other internal structures).

Best wishes,

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back