Another de-worming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
So I'm about to worm my horses with Zimectrin Gold to worm for tapes. It hit me that my mare is still nursing my precious filly of 5 months.
default_wub.png
Not alot, but there is still a bit of nursing going on. I decided I better read the box and see what it says about lacting mares. Of course it says it hasn't been tested on them. So I'm thinking none of you use this on a lacting mare? If so, should I just worm her with something else and worm for tapes next time?

I believe it states iut is okay to use on foals over 5 months, I would not think it is an issue if your foal is 5 months. Instead of the zimectrin gold, you could do a 5 day power pak of safegaurd or panacur.

It's also not been tested on pregnant mares - I asked my vet about it and she stopped short of saying yes use it ,but did say that it's done all the time and is probably okay. I just hit them with Strongid this time to be on the safe side but I did worm my 7 month weanlings with the Gold.

Jan

I use Equimax and it has a higher percentage of Ivermectin and Praziquantel in it (ivermectin 1.87%/praziquantel 14.03%) than Zimectrin Gold. Equimax is labeled safe for pregnant mares and I've used it on both pregnant and nursing mares without any noticeable adverse affects.

Tapeworms are so tough as they are difficult to detect even in a fecal exam. Usually horses on an otherwise normal worming schedule that show the typical signs of parasitical infestations are likely contaminated with tapeworms. Pyrantel pamoate at twice the usual dose is effective against tapeworms, however, I am unsure of dosing like that in a pregnant mare without the approval from your veterinarian. Two other methods that are used often in other animals but should never be used in horses without a veterinarian's supervision are Niclosamine and dichlorophen. Check with your vet on what method he may choose for your situation. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Praziquantel, under Veterinary advise, on foals and found it quite safe.

If Zimecterin Gold is under 1.87% Ivermectin I am afraid I should not use it as 1.87% is the recommended dosage level for it to be effective.

The five day course of Fenbendazole does not touch Tapeworms.

Really, only Praziquantel is effective, Pyrantel Pamoate now has a number of problems with resistance, and I have also, the one and only time I have ever used it, had real problems with colic.

I do know a number of people on here use it in safety and swear by it, but I have not personally found it effective.

I prefer to stick with Ivermectin, that has, to date, no known resistance in horses.

Oh, Mominis is spot on, BTW, Tapeworms are rarely picked up with faecal exams,. they are occasionally seen on the anus, look like grains of rice, but do not count on it!!

Faecal counts, at least once a year, are, nonetheless, a good thing to do.

Joyce, I would also use the Equimax instead of Zimectrin Gold if I were you...that is what Deme recommended to me.

I have used Praziquantel, under Veterinary advise, on foals and found it quite safe.If Zimecterin Gold is under 1.87% Ivermectin I am afraid I should not use it as 1.87% is the recommended dosage level for it to be effective.

The five day course of Fenbendazole does not touch Tapeworms.

Really, only Praziquantel is effective, Pyrantel Pamoate now has a number of problems with resistance, and I have also, the one and only time I have ever used it, had real problems with colic.

I do know a number of people on here use it in safety and swear by it, but I have not personally found it effective.

I prefer to stick with Ivermectin, that has, to date, no known resistance in horses.

Oh, Mominis is spot on, BTW, Tapeworms are rarely picked up with faecal exams,. they are occasionally seen on the anus, look like grains of rice, but do not count on it!!

Faecal counts, at least once a year, are, nonetheless, a good thing to do.

Ahhh! I quoted this and now can't delete my post. Oh well, rabbitfizz was so right, we get to read it twice. rofl

Latest posts

Back