Another color question:)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
When katie foaled I was fairly certain the filly was buckskin, porobably silver, as I think Katie is a silver dunskin.

The filly, who is named Bundle of Dynamite aka Bundi, has these blue/ amber colored eyes. I know a lot of foals eyes are blueish when born....she is 2 weeks old now and they eyes are still very light. I am not sure if she will keep this eye color or not.

Can the silver affect her eye color? Or can the LP gene? She has white sclera from her sire as well as molted girly bits.Looks like she will have some stripes on her hooves also.

Its been hot here, shes got her first clip job and she is this beautiful silvery grey with white hairs mixed in under her foal coat. She has white eyelashes too.

What do you color lovers think?

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01933-1.jpg

DSC01983-1.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

I don't know what the "LP" gene is, but is there any chance she may carry Champagne? The purplish coloring of her eye pigment could be that, and they also get "speckles". Can you post pics of her sire and dam and also show their face close up to see their eye pigment?? Her amber colored eyes may also change to a more Amber color as she ages if she's Champagne,

Thanks Mona:)

Her sire is a few spot app homozygous, Lp is the leopard gene. He is Ee, agouti, no cream no gray. His eyes are dark.

http://www.mysticrockminis.com/Dynamite.html

Katie's eyes are also dark. She has thrown silver foal before. Katie is in the second pic. I dont have a close up of them. Sorry.

Hmmm, maybe it is just the silver causing that coloring of the eye and pigment then?? I have seen cream and dun horses born with a light eye, more of a smokey blue, not like what you posted here. The dam has no mottled skin at all?? Has she had other foals?? ANy with this same type of coloring for eye and skin?

Maybe I should be asking how old the filly is? I assumed a little older since you clipped her, but maybe she is still fairly new and her black pigment just has not yet come in. I had a smokey silver black that had that color pigment for the first couple weeks and it later turned dark. Again, the eytes are what are really throwing me off...if they were a more smokey grey, that would be about right, but that one pic it looks almost yellow.

Hmm, both filly and dam look silver buckskin in the first few pics, but I have only seen an eye that color in Champagnes. I admit to not being the greatest expert on Champagnes, but I don't know if it's a possibility given the dam's dark eye or not. Cute baby either way!
default_yes.gif

I have two champagne mares- my classic champagne mare has dark half blue eyes & not the typical amber or hazel noted to champagne hoses. We had her color tested because frankly, we had no idea what color she was. She goes progressively darker in the winter. I can't believe I don't have any pics of her on this computer!

My amber champagne mare has brighter blue eyes...

HPIM3763.jpg

And a head shot, just for reference...

50590-10-x.jpg

I think she is just silver buckskin appy as neither sire and dam look champagne. I would say her eyes are due to a combo of the cream and appy and silver genes. My appys sometimes get very strange eye coloring and I have two silver black mares with amber eyes. The dark pink skin most likely means she'll get mottling there soon. Her eyes will probably change slowly. Sometimes my foals blue eyes take months to go brown (my 2 yr old appy colt had two crystal blue eyes til he was a yearling and now he only has one half blue)

What I dont get is that if the stallion is homo for red, when he appears to be black based?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley, he is Ee so heterozygous for black.

His stallion page says he is homo for red, wouldnt that mean he would have to be red? Just like a homo black would be black and a homo pinto would be pinto? So then his web page is wrong on the color cause he can not be both homo red and have a black gene. Not possible. So with out having the right colors tested/listed its really impossible to say what color the stallion is.

Here is his website http://www.mysticrockminis.com/Stallions.html and this is what it states about his color....

"Dynamite has been lab tested homozygous for the leopard gene! He is also homozygous for red and heterozygous for agouti. He carries no grey, and no other modifiers."

Which says something is off as he is not red in color

03ceye.jpg

Newborn silver smokey-black colt.

Dam was chestnut solid carrying the silver gene with normal, dark eyes.

Sire was smokey black solid with normal, dark eyes.

mouseeye804.jpg

Here he is as a long yearling.

As the colt grew, his eyes changed to an olive-green, now more of a topaz brown color, much lighter than normal, but my guess is it is the combination of the dilute genes (creme + silver). Foal's skin was purple/pink at birth, but no freckling or mottling. There is no champagne in his breeding other than a great grandsire.

generations2.jpg

The pic above is of the foal's dam. You can see what I consider to be a normal colored, dark eye. Mouse is behind her in the photo as a foal, but compare the coloring of dam to the second photo above. My guess is that the dual dilute genes in Mouse affected his skin and his eyes. His skin's a bit on the light side, but not overly so as an adult. As a foal, it was peachy-pink/magenta.

Same breeding the following year produced a palomino with nearly as light colored eyes and skin though they have darkened to a normal, dark color.

Forgot to add that silver can create a mottling effect on skin (this is the same horse as in my avatar, his coat changes almost monthly, from a chocolate brown winter coat to a nearly black late Summer/Fall look and in the spring he's steel grey but his eyes often get remarks for their oddity. He has absolutely no appy in his background but at one point I do think his underparts had a bit of spotting on them which everyone assured me was silver, not champagne or appy)

More pics can be seen on his page:

Mouse

Hope this helps, or at the least, is interesting!

Ashley I am sure they accidentally put the wrong thing on the website. The op stated he is Ee on here.

Ashley I am sure they accidentally put the wrong thing on the website. The op stated he is Ee on here.

Well it doesnt appear the OP owns the stallion so its really hard to say. Either way if they are advertising him it should be listed correctly.

Great pics Liz! I think we have found the reason then. These are pics of the eye of my silver smokey black filly...I sold her as a weanling but they darkened to a more normal color as she got older her weanling year. Not sure what happened with them at maturity. But since your colt and my filly both carry the silver and cream, pehaps this is the cause.
default_yes.gif
My pics are not as nice and clear as yours, but am posting them anyway.

eye.jpg

eye2.jpg

eye3.jpg

You could always send them an email and let them know there is a mistake on their website, they would probably appreciate it. I know when I do my website it takes me hours and I start to make mistakes towards the end. I'm sure it was just a mistake no one had caught yet.

That being said, it is obvious sire and dam and foal are all black based so it's not that big of a deal. It would be beneficial to know if the sire is homozygous or heterozygous for agouti though.

I have a buckskin gelding who,tho untested, I am fairly sure carries silver and he also had lovely pale blue eyes as a weanling that became a unique amber shade at maturity. I am confidant that he has no champagne gene and so attribute his unusual eye color to the combination of cream and silver but that opinion is not based on testing. Its interesting to see other horses who are confirmed to carry both cream and silver that also have unusual eyes, it helps to confirm my belief somewhat.

Sorry yall..... Yes the web site is correct, The stallion has been lab tested.

He is red based looks black I know thats why she had him tested.

Katie (dam) is Ee as she has had 3 foals, 1st a chestnut pinto, second a lab tested silver smokey black, and now this one.

Sorry yall..... Yes the web site is correct, The stallion has been lab tested.

He is red based looks black I know thats why she had him tested.

Katie (dam) is Ee as she has had 3 foals, 1st a chestnut pinto, second a lab tested silver smokey black, and now this one.

So what color is the stallion?

I don't know what the "LP" gene is, but is there any chance she may carry Champagne? The purplish coloring of her eye pigment could be that, and they also get "speckles". Can you post pics of her sire and dam and also show their face close up to see their eye pigment?? Her amber colored eyes may also change to a more Amber color as she ages if she's Champagne,

Mona we had a mare that started out with eyes like these. The blue was so blue that we called her Pacific China Blue. Within a few months they did turn amber (so much for her registered name !). Her champagne testing was negative. She does carry cream. No Silver. Her body is darker than this foal, more of a grulla color at birth.

Back