Another color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
I posted this mare a few weeks ago, everyone agreed she was silver dapple.

Now that I have clipped her, she has small dark spots all over. She also has a dark face mask, and a large dark area on her rump. Her roan patch on her rump is still there after shaving also.

Are the common silver dapple traits?

Thanks again.

Before pics.

Roan patch

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Shaved pics

dark face mask

IMG_2191.jpg

dark rump patch

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

face roan

IMG_2192.jpg

dark spots

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

The dark spots are areas where she's rubbed her coat, or been bitten/had a bit of a skin itchy. You can see in the 'before' picture that she'd been rubbing her bum where the largest dark spot is. It's the colour she will probably turn later in the summer, and the darker hair has already started to come in. The face mask is very common in silver dapples.

The roan patch is probably sabino at work, it often causes roan looking patches.

Im not familiar with the roan patch, but the face mask is normal, and the dark spots are normal coming out of winter. Domingo had them last year. they started as little "scabs" and when the scab came off, they were initially dark tuffs of hair. Really freaked me out, but they are completely gone this year. I'll post a picture of what his looked like last year.

360440244.jpg

That was right after his first clip of the year, they were still kind of scabs. Well, not really scabs, but "leathery" feeling skin I guess I would call it. When the skin returned to normal, he grew dark tuffs of hair where the spots had been. Now, hes back to normal.

360440239.jpg

Here you can kind of see his dark "mask". His hair is growing back from a head clip, but when he has a winter coat, its very obvious.

369408165.jpg

Fully clipped and razored its not as obvious, but still noticeable.

I'm just gonna throw this out there but my stallion's first colt looked silver dapple when he was born. Then as a yearling he had a few tiny black spots on his rump similar to one of your pictures and by 2 those spots got bigger. He's a pintaloosa like his gr -gr - grandad, Orion. So does your mare have any appy in her background?

Sandee , I dont know any of her background unfortunately. I guess time will tell..

Latest posts

Back