Another Clipping Question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwest2u2

Reaction score
Ok, I have never clipped before, I got my horse home from the trainer in the early summer clipped and had to blanket at night and lock up inside during the day. But I will be showing at local fairs this fall and I have several horses I am taking. First off how do you keep them from sunburning? When at a show this year I saw a lot of pinik horses :no: I just don't want to see that in my pasture. My horses are turned out 24/7 it at all possibel and I don't have room to lock them all up during the day. Then the blanketing thing if it is under 50 degrees out. Well this am it was a very chilly 42, burr if you don't have much hair. So could someone please explain this to this newby?

If you are showing fairs, i wouldnt bother doing full body clips. I do a couple fairs around here for fun and its all a very much 'quarter horse' type enviroment. Actually, last year the horses i took to our fair i had body clipped from a previous show and everyone was rubbing them all week and feeling them. I, unless of course you want to, wouldnt do a full body clip on all the horses on my show string just for the fair. I am taking 6 (yes that is right 6, new record for me lol) to our fair and i am only doing two body clips, one on Nark bc he has pig hairs and one on baby Steaker.

You will find at the fairs, most (if not all) the other minis prob wont be body clipped. I go to 4 fairs around my county, and so far this year and last and the year before that, mine have been the only ones body clipped.

Generally if its cooler, i do throw a winter blanket on my ones that get cold easily if they are body clipped ..such as in the morning when its chilly. I show two white horses on my show string and neither of them have been pink yet, i clip w/ #15 blades 5-7 days pre-show as well, normally 5. They also go out for 12 hrs a day on drylot and are up at night so no real issue.

Guess i am just trying to say, if you can get around body clipping take advantage of it. Now yes, it is important to present the horses nicely but i've found most fairs i go to, everything is done more in the Quarter Horse way as far as presentation goes
default_smile.png

Back