Annoyed with websites not updated!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed with websites that don't update their information promptly? In particular the Youth AMHR site has read "2012 Information Packet" since last year and it's still there. I'd really like to know if there will be a 2013 packet. Could they at least say "coming"? Grrrrrr.

Maybe the reason our "youth" aren't more interested or involved is that adults don't take the whole thing seriously and don't urge the youth to get involved!

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening.

When it is a club or registry website (or even a farm) and I really would like to know something I contact them and ask.
default_smile.png
It works well.

I like when you go to sales pages and theres a pics of a 2008-2010 foals saying beautiful show quality horses. Also some say bred to ? for a 20? foal and the pic is of a newborn from yrs ago, and will update pics soon.

Well if ya edit info, edit pics too. foals cant have foals. lol

I agree it's annoying. I think some people just lose interest and don't update, or they don't have the money to pay to have it done. There could be so many reasons.

I like when you go to sales pages and theres a pics of a 2008-2010 foals saying beautiful show quality horses. Also some say bred to ? for a 20? foal and the pic is of a newborn from yrs ago, and will update pics soon.

Well if ya edit info, edit pics too. foals cant have foals. lol
It drives me crazy when I look at a sale page there are NO prices. If I love/like your horse Im not taking the time to call/email to find its price, the next site I look at that has prices posted that I like/love the horses alway get my money. Just say
default_whistling.gif

Yes it used to drive me nuts. But you know - we are a busy busy busy peoples. Sometimes some things just have to go to the back burner. The economy tanked, it costs money to upkeep websites (I am speaking mostly of farm websites). People get sick or hurt.

For the registry - we have a skeleton crew sometimes and updating things takes time. Paperwork has to be re-done to reflect new changes, etc.

I would suggest if it is the youth website a call to the registry office - they may have put it on the back burner or you never know what is going out in the world.....just sayin'..... it is irritating -but a nice phone call might move it along a bit faster.....Thanks!

I have to agree.

In today's world, absolutely every consultant will tell you that every business needs a presence on the web and that presence needs to stay up to date.

Saying 'we are too busy', 'we are understaffed', or 'we don't have the technical expertise' are simply not reasonable excuses. It makes even less sense to me that ASPC/AMHR members prefer calling the Club rather than working with the information on the website. If the information on the website is inadequate, then the website needs to be improved (and frankly every website will need constant work to keep up to date). Every staff member should keep a diary of every question asked and those 'frequently asked questions' (FAQ's) should be addressed on the website. If the Club has set up a situation where phone calls are handled faster and better than what someone can look up the information on the website then members will always call. This means we will be paying a $10+/hour employee to answer questions a website could have answered for free. Don't be surprised when fees and membership dues increase if you require that level of personal contact for your questions.

Dr. Taylor

Total agreement with Dr. Taylor.

I think one of the reasons the youth website suffers is because the parents that are the mentors/leaders for that site -- their kids might not be youth any more and interest wanes or moves in other directions. Yes, in that case the reins need to be handed off to someone with more of a vested interest - but GOOD LUCK getting someone to volunteer their time to chair the Youth Committee PLUS make sure the website is up to date. That is extremely time consuming (and no - I'm not making excuses for them, just stating a fact). For quite a few years I was the volunteer webmaster for the youth site, and the youth director would send me updates. When her kids grew up-another director came on board and they decided they were going to have the kids help with the design which was a GREAT idea (in theory). That was years ago and I'm sure there is a totally different 'crop' of youth members and again different youth leaders.

But when it comes to disseminating information to all members - the official website of the organization is by far the most cost-effective way to do it...if kept up to date. And in this day where pinching pennies is a MUST, it is essential to the financial health of the organization. Perhaps the primary webmaster for the ASPC/AMHR website needs to become a bloodhound and hunt down committee chairs to make sure their info is up-to-date at all times, and if not - to inform the BOD so they can get a committee chair on board that will make sure it IS up to date. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there are horse shows coming up in my area and they still haven't updated any of the info! Theres a club that says when the next meeting will be, but the rest of the website is from 2008. I almost missed a horse show because they finally updated it at the last days.

it doesnt have to cost a fortune , my old website was boring and although up to date the style hadnt changed for years so I gave it a a complete over haul , a total new look using a free website , its easy to do and costs nothing

I agree with Dr. Taylor and several others. I may have been interested in what you have for sale but since the site is not updated you have just lost a sale since I am going to another site that is updated. I also will not waste my time on a site without prices, my business will go elsewhere. Funny, there is a saying, "If you have to ask, you most likely can not afford it". I feel that way everytime I do not see a price.

Last edited by a moderator:
horsenut50, on 09 Mar 2013 - 14:48, said:

"If you have to ask, you most likely can not afford it". I feel that way everytime I do not see a price.
There are lots of reasons people do not post prices, and VERY VERY VERY often I think you would be very pleasantly surprised if you just ask. On important reason people do not post prices is because of tax issues and border-crossing issues. I do know where border guards have checked a website to see if the price on the bill of sale is comparable to others on the website...or if the sale price on that particular animal is still posted. And the 'tax man' has been known to check prices on websites when conducting audits.
And sometimes people just want to leave the door wide open for various reasons. What can it hurt to ask? An email costs nothing except a few seconds of your time to compose.

I must admit that I never thought of taxes and border crossing issues. I live in Illinois and I have never payed taxes on selling my horses through the years. No boarders here either. Will take that into consideration. Off topic but I have to say to you Jean, that I have always admired your horses and used to stalk your website for years when you lived in Wisconsin. Your horses always looked loved and cared for and always quality. (your website was always up to date too.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back