AND Another New Animal Member of Our Family

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Last November, Harvey and I adopted "Paisley", who is a 1yo medium hair dilute calico from a local animal shelter through their adoption center at Petsmart. Paisley is working out very well and is just the sweetest kitty. She and Keeper, our 10yo Maine Coon, get along well in that they will lay together and sleep, however, Paisley REALLY wants to play and Keeper does not want to play. He's about 20#'s, to Paisley's 7#'s. But, at night if Keeper is not sleeping in the bedroom with us, a lot of times Paisley tackles him and just harrasses him wanting him to be her playmate. He's always been a big cry baby and he cries. It might really hurt, too. He is stiff sometimes and not as spry as he used to be.

SO, now Paisley's got her own cat. She and her cat hate each other at the moment but we sure hope that changes!!! We adopted a black Maine Coon (ish?) female from the same shelter in the same way (Petsmart). She is about 1.5yo and she had been at the shelter since OCTOBER! That is pitiful. She is so striking with her jet black coat and the brightest, biggest, roundest eyes. She is hefty at around 15#'s and built like a bowling ball. She has huge feet and big tufts of fur like purebred Maine Coons and her voice sounds just like Keeper's. We are calling her "Sookie" (rhymes with cookie). Hoping she'll be a lot like him (Maine Coons are about like dogs in cat suits), and like to play with Paisley. It felt good to give her a home since she really needed one.

You know, a year ago, I'd have told you I didn't really care a lot for cats anymore. I sure do now.

Thanks for looking at Sookie. She's so much prettier than the pictures indicate, but this was the best I could do for now:

Sookie---04182010---First-Full-Day-014.jpg
Sookie---04182010---First-Full-Day-023.jpg

Sookie---04182010---First-Full-Day-050.jpg
Sookie---04182010---First-Full-Day-059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If she's prettier than her photos, she's a WOW!

Poor girl has some settling to do with you as her new home........Being in the shelter since October is a LONG time!

Congratulations with your new girl and Kuddos!

I love LOVE kitties!!! Sookie is very pretty! I hope she & Paisley get along and play together!

Very pretty...
default_wub.png
Congrats, Jill.

You know, I'm the opposite; I love my dogs very much but I'm a born cat person. Nothing beats my two boys in bed with us, snuggling, and purring away (I have the snuggliest, sweetest cats in the world
default_biggrin.png
). They put me to sleep every night
default_wub.png

Thanks, folks! I love Sookie and I think Paisley greatly admirers her judging from how she's stiting closer and closer to her just watching (not staring). Sookie's lightening up, too, and letting her get closer without hissing. It's only been about a day and a half, so I'm thinking things are well on the way to being good and I hope Paisley and she will play together.

Congratulations JIll! She is very pretty! I love how her eyes just kinda jump out and grab you in all that black fur.

Thanks, Shari and Terri! She's really settling in well and I really ♥ her. Hopefully she and Paisley will play together as well. She loves to play string with me.

And, Matt, I used to have a cat that was my most special pet. She passed away when Winston was a puppy. Since then, I just hadn't clicked back with cats but I think i officially have now. I love our trio, and feel like a heel for not paying more attention to Keeper all along. It is eerie because I talked to him before we got Paisley and told him I loved him but I wanted a cat that was more mine since he was mostly H's. Ever since then, he has been my shadow! It's a little heart wrenching because I wonder if he waited all those years for me to take an interest in him? Harvey always has so he's never been unappreciated but still, kind of a fist around my heart when I think how we've had him for 10yrs already.

Latest posts

Back