An amazing occurance...and yet another reminder,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
I went out this AM, began opening gates, as it has recently been my practice to turn everybody out for a short while every morning,while I clean up and put their hay in their feeders (they volunteer to come back in in a short while, as the grass is all 'winter killed', so the green hay is more appealing!)

There are three in separate 'runs' at the barn, three 'outside' in large paddocks w/ run-in sheds. As I went down the line at the barn, I saw my 'second' Cowboy Del son, 12 YO "Roy', standing quietly right up next to the barn(instead of out at the end of the run, where the 'out' gate is, ready for me to open the gate)--and IMMEDIATELY knew something wasn't right. I opened the 'out gate', walked up to him, as he still stood completel quietly--to find that he was 'tethered' in his right NOSTRIL by the 'hook' on the end of a bungee! I had visions of it having penetrated his nostril(this is a horse that I found 'wearing' a bucket hanger through the side of his mouth--complete penetration!- one day several years ago, when I returned from a day in town--he allowed me to 'back it out' of the hole it made-called the vet, he told me it'd probably be fine w/o treatment--and it WAS! but it scared the bejeebers out of me--I do not use bucket hangers anymore!) AMAZINGLY--No, the 'hook' had NOT penetrated ANYTHING; as soon as I gingerly pulled down on the bungee cord, it came right out of the nostril--it just 'had' him, much as if he had a finger 'hooked' in his nostril. It was JUST taut enough that it would not 'drop out' of the nostril on its own with his head at a normal height (which it was).Once freed, he IMMEDIATELY marched right off, to join the other horses in turn out.

Thankfully, this bungee is the kind w/ a 'fat', plastic, and quite rounded, 'hook' on the end, instead of the thinner ones w/ a metal hook, thinly 'coated' in a plastic-y covering, but still having a 'sharp' end that easily pokes through that covering! It is a old one that has lost much of its elasticity; it is tied to the top rail (about 58") of the panels that my runs are made of, and I use it to help hold the top halves of the dutch doors partially open during the day. I 'wind it around' the top rail when not in use, but apparently didn't do a proper job of that last night (believe me, it WILL be well-secured from now on...I learn well from my mistakes!)

From the 'flattened' manure, and evidence of having peed, and a bit of hay remaining in Roy's feeder( I feed hay, in the winter, at about 5 PM and again at about 10 PM, just before I retire, so he'd have been 'at that point' in his 'late supper' by midnight or so--he'd been 'caught' this way for HOURS--probably 7 or more, as I went out at 7:30 this AM! He'd not fought or struggled(thank the Lord!)ONE BIT, it seems---there was just a spot of blood on the edge of his nostril, but NOTHING that could be considered a real injury of any sort.

This is a sensitive little horse; though he has MANY driving miles, under many circumstances, and I feel that I could drive him about anywhere, he is, still, leery and cautious of ANYTHING different or 'scarey'...and yet...he came through this experience as MANY would not! I raised him, trained him, and so am not REALLY surprised: yet still, I am also amazed at the 'presence of mind' it took for him to accept his situation and wait with such patience for help to arrive. He is my one who would 'go' until he dropped, NEVER quitting, giving his all with great heart...I have reflected, today, on how that 'connects' with this amazing response to the situation he found himself in!

I have owned and cared for horses since I got my first one OF MY OWN (before that, I rode, and occasionally, drove, someone else's, whenever I could!) when I was 9 years old--that's 58 years--yet I was still gloriously awed by this horse's wonderful good sense! (and extremely grateful!)

Never a dull moment when you have horses...!

Margo

I hate to admit it, but my Gracie did the same thing a few years ago - I will never have bungee cords around my horses again! The lock was broken on one of my gates and I had temporarily closed it with a bungee cord. I went in one morning to feed and opened the gate - one end of the cord dropped down as I opened the gate, and just as the cord dropped down, Gracie stepped forward. And it hooked her nose. She was stuck - one end of the bungee cord was in her nose, the other end was still connected to the gate. Of course she flipped out and pulled back and the more she pulled, the more it pulled on her nose and ened up piercing it all the way through. So I had to unhook it from the gate, then grab her, and pull the other end out of her nose.

Called the vet immediately and she had me pack it with neosporin. It healed just fine, but of course my vet had to joke with me and asked if I needed her to come bring a diamond stud for her nose...

Unbelievable what these guys can get into, and like I said - lesson learned. No more bungies around my horses!

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy Margo, glad your guy was so sensible! They sure do get themselves into situations.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Thanks for sharing and giving us all a reminder about the hazards of bungee cords! I am so glad your guy was so sensible.

I had a quarter horse get a bungee caught in her lip. It was just hanging there and we could not touch it without having her freak out. Had to have the vet come out and sedate her to take it out. So I also learned about bungees the hard way!!!

It is absolutly amazing what these guys can get into! Some how he knew you would be coming out to rescue him.

Glad to hear all turned out well!

A few years ago we had a yearling bull we were showing that somehow managed to get a large snap(lead rope type snap) that was on a gate chain hooked into his eye socket. I know he had been there for a couple hours when I discovered him hooked. Saw him there an hour before standing at the gate but that was where he could see most of the cow herd so I didn't think much of it. He stood there calmly while I figured out what was going on and how to unhook him. He never moved till I freed him. The eye was fine and only had a bit of watery discharge for a day. He probably was scratching his head on the gate when he got snagged.

Mark

default_new_shocked.gif
HOLY SMOKES! That was sure a close call! So glad he knew enough to stand still and not really hurt himself! Thanks for the warning...I am sure it may help several others by reading this!!

my sister had a paint mare that got an "s" hook caught thru her nostril in a horse trailer. the hooks were what hung the vinyl hay bags in the slant load, last show of the season but thank god on the way home. we found her when we opened the trailer, unfortunately she must have panicked as it tore the entire side of the nostril was ripped off. she ended up having to have "plastic surgery" and the nose did good just a little nik off the top corner. needless to say all those bags and hooks were removed

If you think about it, horses are like 5 yr old children left unattended for hours at a time. It's a wonder they don't get into more trouble.

Latest posts

Back