Among The Uninformed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Nootka, I too had misunderstood your post. I may have misunderstood some of the others as well. I am new to minis and I don't want to breed dwarves or even pass on the genes. I love the little ones that look so perfect. I know it can and probably will happen at least once to me. I am trying to learn as much as I can to hopefully avoid this. All of this information helps even if it is Disagreements, opinions and hurt feelings mixed in with facts and experience. I will consider what each person said, but even with all of this information we still can't be sure we have chosen the right pair. We will learn our own horses as we go. Just as all of you have done in the past and created some beautiful minis! It was done in the past without the knowledge that we have now. There were good breeders and bad breeders back then too. I think there are less bad breeders now, but there will always be some. We can't control that. In the end it's the good breeders that win out.

Shelia

Frank,

Being that this is a forum, it is a place where people do express ideas and share information, both fact and opinion based.

Being that you've been breeding as long as you have and have accomplished all that you have, why you are so outraged at this forum? I would think that you would have the knowledge and forsight to determine fact based information from individual opinion.

The topic is going to trigger debate. No one knows the cause and therefore no concrete solution can be accomplised so people speculate and voice their concerns and opinions because this is an open forum.

Its sad that you are so bitter. With what you've accomplished I'm sure we could all benefit from your input and knowledge.

One thing I do find sad though is that so many are taking personal offense to your post. We're not at war here.

I also get the feeling that you are saying Frank is breeding dwarfs or am I reading that wrong?
Uhhh, what!?!? Frank never said who he was or is that I was aware of. There are many Franks in the industry. From what Frank has said, they like smaller horses, but I also get the feeling that Frank has put a LOT of thought into this breeding program. THAT is commendable and my statements are not a judgment either way.

How do I know if Frank is breeding dwarfs?!?

Please don't put words in my mouth. Someone contact me last night to tell me they heard that I am basically bashing their horse, and no such words were said, I can assure you. Much of what I've said refers to a composite of situations, a combination of similar events which are based on similar problems.

Also, I don't think it would be wise to email or talk about anyone using dwarfs because that is such an "arbitrary" thing. Many will agree that even dwarf X dwarf can result in a perfectly healthy and normal foal.

I think the only thing we can do is to educate what to look for in type and proportion as well as characteristics and educate buyers as to what they need to be wary of. Otherwise, it could well be a free-for-all. It's pretty obvious that one person's dwarf is another person's future world champion in some respects.

My thread on the photo forum, for example. Many people miss the dwarf in my filly, but I still feel she's dwarfy.

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definitely NOT OK to name farms who YOU THINK are using dwarfs, because YOU could be WRONG and it is not up to you to shame anyone or to risk the reputation of their breeding program because you don't like their horses.

:arg! No one said Frank is breeding dwarves!!! Quite the contrary, "Frank" is breeding some of the finest of the tinies around!

Geez people!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I also think it would be wrong to point out who you may think is using dwarfs in their program. There is a problem with some people looking at any small mini and saying it looks like a dwarf...perhaps not a good eye! While we want to avoid producing a dwarf, it is very difficult because no one knows yet for sure what makes that dwarf. I did appreciate Marianne stating that they never had King Supreme produce a dwarf because I had heard rumors that he had.

It would be helpful if breeders would idetify their minis who have produced dwarfs but I don't think they will because it is more important to maintain a stature of not prodcucing dwarf foals so it doesn't harm their sales. This leaves us to do a lot of research on our own to try and avoid producing a dwarf. I do understand there are breeders who think there is no way to completely avoid ever producing a dwarf.....is there or not is what most of us would like to know. Mary

It is definitely NOT OK to name farms who YOU THINK are using dwarfs, because YOU could be WRONG and it is not up to you to shame anyone or to risk the reputation of their breeding program because you don't like their horses.

GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE....for crying out loud

I don't think LilBeginnings is going to allow any posting of Farms that are thought to be breeding dwarfs or dwarf producers any time soon. Geez.......that is a lawsuit in the making. So get those panties untied.

What you do on you own time and thru your own email address is your business.

To much being twisted on this thread to be of any value to anyone at this point. I think some many need to read these posts a bit more throughly before responding.
default_wacko.png

There are some pretty big names and long-term breeders using obvious dwarfs as breeding stock.

Liz M.
Sorry, but this was said (above quote) Guess when I read a statement like that and I know the poster knows more than I do I take it at face value. When I refer to dwarf I'm talking about "real" known dwarfs, not mini's with domed heads
default_rolleyes.gif
Maybe that's where all the confusion lies.
default_wacko.png

[Frank never said who he was or is that I was aware of. There are many Franks in the industry. From what Frank has said, they like smaller horses, but I also get the feeling that Frank has put a LOT of thought into this breeding program. THAT is commendable and my statements are not a judgment either way.

Liz
Thanks, that's why I asked you to clear up what you said
default_biggrin.png

nootka said:
post='91379 I don't think it would be wise to email or talk about anyone using dwarfs because that is such an "arbitrary" thing. Liz
Then why are statements made..where we are all trying to learn like "There are some pretty big names and long-term breeders using obvious dwarfs as breeding stock". Boy am I confused by this thread :DOH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back