AMHS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really dont think not registering my foals amha this year is going to matter one bit. Why?? Because they are the same horse no matter what papers they have. MOst of the people i deal with quit dealing with amha years ago. They could care less if a horse has amha papers and if they buy one that does the papers just sit in a file and are never updated. I did not throw out any amha papers but yes they are just sitting in a file.

Just looking thru this thread and seeing many people like myself who declined to become members again tells the story.

When i purchased all of my amha horses i immediately crossed them into amhr since there were no amha shows in illinois. (where i lived previously)

Yep we are the small dogs that amha forgot about. and we are the small dogs that put our money where our mouth is and stopped sending in membership money, registration money etc. I guess our voices werent heard before but maybe they are being heard now??

I am totally open to becoming a member again but I really want to see changes in the office etc.

The big issue is that you can't legislate ethics - it doesn't matter what the rules are if the organization doesn't enforce them those without ethics will continue to run the organization into the ground.

This almost reminds me of the "Breeders Stock" that was come up with for Quarter Horses that had too much white involved on them in the wrong places years ago.

But yes Ronnie, many registries have that special place designated for "OPPS"..........so why shouldn't AMHA? There should probably be a place for these horses to go to without feeling "shunned" if you will.

I think the intention is good but I can't see how this is really going to work very well.

The key to this whole thing would be The Honor System

I simply cannot see a whole lot of people rushing to use this newly proposed registry because their horses have gone over size. There are so many people that have gotten away with it already, and continue to do so, they won't care. It's the little nobody schmucks like me that would probably come forward and try to do the right thing and say "I have an oppsie here, we are over by one zillionth of an inch"

Then we are still going to have some of the breeders, now more than ever not take great care anymore, probably much less and almost encouraging them breed over sized horses as they do already and fudge again even more because now, there is an "oppise" registry. So I think that some people will just have the idea that "well if the baby goes oversize, so what?" attitude now more than ever.

Lisa, This is what happens when words aren't read as intended. I shouldn't have to defend myself for what I said because someone didn't read it correctly but here I go...I didn'y assume anything...I said "MOST OF THE TIMEWHEN LISTENING TO PEOIPLE WHO WERE AMHA MEMBERS BUT DROPPED OUT,THE REASON FOR LEAVING WAS SIMPLY THAT THEY LIKED THE TALLER MINIS. Most is not all and wouldn't have included you if you didn't leave for that reason. :no: :no: You seem to get on your high horse over simple mistakes of misunderstanding. I do have both AMHA and AMHR horses between my hubby and I we belong to both. I do think both registeries need to listen to it's members but the ones who have stayed and endured with AMHA and since this is an AMHA topic, I think it should be their time to speak up without rebuttles from non members who chose not to be a part of AMHA. I would feel the same way if it were reversed and was a AMHR topic. I can understand all mini people being interested in all topics of Miniatures but if they aren't a member of an organization should they have a say as to what happens in the organization? They woudn't be allowed to vote or have a reprsentative...would they? My personal opinion is if I didn't beling to an organization than my thoughts would not be wanted....I am sure the Shetland people would love to have the AMHA people chiming in to say how their organization should be run!!
default_wink.png
: And yes the Shetland people do have a bearing of what is taking place in the Miniature world!
default_sad.png
. Of course it is good for all miniature people to stay interested in both Mini reg. but if they aren't interested in being members than let the members do the discussion of what they want or don't want within their organization because that is who is really effected.

Lisa said,"Most I know didnt leave due to wanting taller horses many left due to issues with the registry and feeling as there voice didnt matter and wasnt important" Should I assume you were saying All as you did with me when in actuality you said "most? Do you see the connection?

Of course there aren't AMHA shows in many areas...same here and one reason I need to stay with AMHR.

The rest of what you said is, in my opinion, just going off on a tangent and has nothing to do with this thread so I will ignore it. I am sorry you have assumed so much Lisa, while accusing me of doing it. Maybe you are just a little cranky this weekend.
default_wink.png
: Mary

Did you read the question? It wasn't for people who are members of AMHA! :eek: Of course any any one who is a member of AMHA does care and should definitely speak up as to what they think is wrong with it. Hopefully the AMHA BOD will be reading and paying heed to these kinds of remarks. We need one good registry that fits the needs of all members and will listen. Most of the time when listening to people who were AMHA members but dropped out, the reason for leaving was simply that they liked the taller minis which AMHR allowed.

[

But Mary that is quite an assumption, I didnt leave due to wanting only taller horses many farms succesfully breed both. Most I know didnt leave due to wanting taller horses many left due to issues with the registry and feeling as there voice didnt matter and wasnt important

Any really it relates to ANYONE who has miniature horses as every person that left AMHA is costing AMHA every foal that is no longer being registered is costing AMHA every state that has NO AMHA shows is costing AMHA

What goes on in the breed in any given registry should be of a concern to all miniature horse breeders and something everyone wants to keep apprised of.

It benifits those who don't show or breed AMHR horses to know what is going on in that registry as well as ALL OF IT pertains to us and the future of our breed and helps us to make informed decisions on what we choose to participate in or not.

There were no shows in my area even in CA and the shows they had had 15-20 horses hardly meaning anyone was better then another to qualify. One show with one class would have cost me (and this was 2 hours away so local no health papers or hotels) over 100 dollars remember for ONE class- again not feasible for me.

Raven has had the opportunity to place top ten, National Champion and Res National Champion as well as the opportunity to not place at all. To come to the realization of what her horse is capable of. To work hard all year at 8-9 years old doing ALL the fitting and conditioning of her horse by herself - so she could feel darn good about walking in the ring at Nationals ribbon or not. I myself have been able to feel the pride of walking out with Top Tens and the realization of my program and changes needed when walking out with nothing- Why on earth do I care who else or how many other horses are in the ring and if I feel they are good enough to be there or not. That really has no effect on how my horse does. Especially if the gripe is someone feels many horses arent good enough to be there then how on earth would those horses you deem not good enough have any effect on your placing?

We have been to Nationals a few times now and have learned from all of them. No way I could improve my breeding program and make proper changes and decisions had I not had horses at the National show I can tell you in many local areas you don't get an idea of the true compitition and amount of quality horses out there. Great way for people to learn and improve.

So yes the show thing was a huge issue for me

I had plenty of reasons for leaving AMHA and from them grew my want for a B program even though again I do have some A reg horses

Although the one thing I can say for sure is.. this thread is reminding me why i am no longer a member and why I choose other regestries.

No registry is perfect and none run according to Lisa(thank goodness for that)
default_yes.gif
:

But I can say after much thought and seeing everyone elses imput I have changed my mind and would not participate in AMHS for many of the same reasons I personally chose to leave AMHA in the first place- not that anyone else should care but only letting Ronnie know since he did ask for opinions from all.

LOL sunny I see we were posting at the same time and am glad others see the importance of knowing what is going on and caring about the breed as a whole!

Last edited by a moderator:
I double register all of mine so that if a foal goes over 34" they will still be registered with a prominent registry (AMHR).

I do not think "another registry or stand alone section of AMHA" for over 34" is a good idea. Especially if the foals of the AMHS horses are not eligible for AMHA if they are under. If the foals of AMHS horses were allowed into AMHA if they mature under 34" would that mean the foals would not be eligible for registration until age 5? That's a long wait. What extra fees would be incurred also if it's to be kept seperate from AMHA (but still be based with AMHA)? Sounds like another registry to me. Now if they decided to allow a B size section like AMHR I'd probably go with just AMHA rather than do both AMHA and AMHR.

So to sum it up my feelings are-

measure at the withers and have AMHA have a B (34-38") division.

Tammie

Latest posts

Back