AMHR Shows In Des Moines IA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo Acres

Reaction score
I heard yesterday that because of the renovations in Des Moines that neither the June or July show will be held this year. Is that true? If so I have to say I am really disappointed. I know the area 6 club has a new show in another state but that is 14 1/2 hours for us and we will not be attending. I really enjoy showing at Des Moines even though it is a 6 hour drive for us and usually attend both shows. Can anyone fill me in on the details?

Check the website AMHR In May there are 2 in Iowa at Dennison and Waterloo. Then in June is Cedar Rapids which is a beautiful stie located at a college and the Area VI show is at Winona, MN weekend of July 4 with a double (AMHR/AMHA) a few weeks later at the same location.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]Don't forget this one:[/SIZE]

• July 17-18, 2010
Iowa Miniature Horse Expo Show

Iowa Falls, Iowa

Ellsworth community college Arena

Hosted by IMHC

AMHR Sanctioned – 4 Judges:

Check the website IMHC for contact information. This is a great show that has been held at the State Fairground in past years.

It would be bad to loose the Des Moines show - but know that the decision won't be made lightly.

Renee- the July show has been moved to a different facility. Haven't heard about the June show.

There is also an AMHR show July 31-Aug 1 in Cedar Rapids at the Iowa Equestrian Center! It is a PtHA and AMHR show combined and there has been tons of interest in it so it should be a good show!

From what I have heard a lot of people have stopped using Des Moines because they are getting so unfriendly towards the equines and they have been for years. Also they have raised their prices so much that the shows there would have been rediculously expensive! Thats just what I have heard from a few ppl.

Thanks for the info. I do know about the other Iowa shows, but I wanted to know about the Des Moines shows because I am in charge of the MMHC Gelding Incentive program and both of those shows were chosen to count in our program. If they were not going to happen then I need to change them. On the area VI subject yes the MN club is putting on the area show but I was asking about the area VI club and they usually have the show in Des Moines and I heard they have moved it to Kansas.

In response to Maple Hollow on the Des Moines shows. I guess some people must have had bad experience, but we have experienced a much different point of view. We have been showing at the June and July Des Moines shows for the past 5 years. I have never felt they were unfriendly, except for 1 time on parking and that was a grounds crew member. Also the fees are pretty much the same as all the other shows in this area. We drive 6 hours to get there and it is by far the furthest show we go to. But we enjoy it.

Anyone know what the Iowa Falls facility is like?

The Area VI Club hasn't had a show in Des Moines since 2007. The 2008 and 2009 shows at Des Moines were done by the New Image Club.

The Area VI Club is hosting shows in Denison Iowa, Lyons Kansas (Brand New ASPC/AMHR show in Kansas!) and Lincoln Nebraska. Dates and judge info is available on the Area VI Club's website at http://www.area6club.com

Thanks for clarifying that Lewella. I was always told the June and July shows in Des Moines were put on by 2 different clubs the last couple of years because of some of them splitting up. I guess my source was not accurate.

Latest posts

Back