AMHR Pacific Northwest Shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will also mention that the Wild Rose AMHR show is on in Olds AB that same weekend (Friday June 5th)...they moved their show up a week this year so it's the same weekend as the Manitoba show--a really STUPID move IMO--so they have lost the Manitoba horses that would have shown there otherwise. (and there would have been several Manitoba exhibitors this year had they not changed dates). Last year the Wild Rose show had only 2 judges and their fees were exorbitant--stall fees and entry fees were both higher than those at Nationals. Not sure if this year is going to be the same or not. Regardless, the Manitoba International is much the better of the two!
default_wink.png
We would love to see you here!

There was 3 judges at the Olds show last year, and yeah, prices were high, we're only an hour away and nearly didn't go until the entry fees were revised about 6 weeks before the show - show management can't do anything about stall fees though, they just pass on what the venue charges. They are only going to have 2 judges this year. And actually, it was last year that the date changed, it was originally on that first weekend of June. I'm sure there were a number of considerations in the decision of when to hold the show, not the least of which would be availability of the venue. I'm not involved in the organization of the show, and am not aware of all the factors, but I guess I find it a little harsh to call it a "stupid move".

Leia - All you need is a current coggins, and international health papers. Total cost comes to about $150 (and we're probably not the cheapest), at our clinic we can get them done, signed by the federal vet, and back for the owner to pick up in as little as 2 days if we have to, usually takes about 3 or 4. And the coggins is good for 6 months, health papers for 30 days. All you need to do make a vet appointment, they'll look after the rest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there were a number of considerations in the decision of when to hold the show, not the least of which would be availability of the venue. I'm not involved in the organization of the show, and am not aware of all the factors, but I guess I find it a little harsh to call it a "stupid move".

I believe ONE of the factors in the change of dates was to show some sense of community to our club which has planned a show for that time slot and only has access to the venue on that date . Since we really DO share many of the same entrants it is in our best interest to work together whenever we can, more shows benefit to all of us. So rather than a stupid move it was a move made in the spirit of cooperation. It is an unfortunate fact of life that our show season is relatively short and there will be times when it is impossible to prevent a conflict. Minimor, your show sounds great and the venue as well and I'm pretty sure the show committee for the Wild Rose show was not trying to annoy your club when they set their dates.

Kendra said:
Leia - All you need is a current coggins, and international health papers. Total cost comes to about $150 (and we're probably not the cheapest), at our clinic we can get them done, signed by the federal vet, and back for the owner to pick up in as little as 2 days if we have to, usually takes about 3 or 4. And the coggins is good for 6 months, health papers for 30 days. All you need to do make a vet appointment, they'll look after the rest!
Hi Kendra!
default_saludando.gif

I did that for the first time in 2007 for a trip to California and my LORD it was pricey!
default_new_shocked.gif
I had to have the Coggins by the end of January to send it in with my entry but the health certificate was only good for 30 days from the date of travel in April so I had to have the vet out two separate times at a call charge rate of $75 per visit...I couldn't even combine it with spring shots or dental work as those needed to be done in early March.
default_wacko.png
So that was $150 just to start with, then by the time I paid for a brand inspection, health papers, Coggins and all the rest of the fees it was well over $300. When the health paperwork costs more than the show...nope.
default_no.gif

I know that's just my clinic and my area, but it sure is prohibitive! I can't imagine how those of you who have to have that stuff done all the time manage.
default_unsure.png

Leia

We have the A/R show here in Armstrong BC every summer and the dates are....the last weekend of June I believe.... Really good show, three judges...or two for the R, lots of fun!

And actually, it was last year that the date changed, it was originally on that first weekend of June
Are you sure? The Brandon show has been that same weekend in June for a number of years now, and I know that in 2007--the first year Wild Rose had an AMHR show--people from here had looked at showing out there. I know the dates would have worked for them, which means the Wild Rose show was not that first week into June; I thought it was toward the end of June. Other things didn't come together for those exhibitors in '07 and so they didn't get to go to Olds. Last year the show was moved up so it was just a week after Brandon, and that worked well.
Reignmaker--I am quite sure the Alberta group didn't deliberately set out to annoy the people who organize the Manitoba show, but the date change certainly was not made in any spirit of cooperation with the Manitoba show committee. The Saskatchewan exhibitors that showed at both shows last year will have to pick one or the other this year and I'm quite sure the Manitoba people will all stay here. I'm guessing that if anyone from further east shows on the prairies again this year it will be at Brandon. For a show that had a very small entry last year, if they wanted as many AMHR entries as possible, the date change this year might be an unfortunate thing.

Its much easier for Canadians to travel south than the Americans to travel north.

For the most part Canadians can have their health and coggins back in 72 hours. Instead of 2 weeks if your lucky.

Our guards are rather a pain in the butt for Americans to bring horses across they are very accusatory about what they are doing and will often take a "Tax" on the horses regardless.

A friend of mine brought a horse up for driving training and she had to pay taxes on her own horse. When she takes the horse home they have to file for the money to be returned.

All in all I find it much easier to travel south than north.

When I buy horses from the states even if I do not plan on leaving the horse at a friends once I pick them up I have my friend on standby because more times than not I have had the wrong paperwork. And so the horses get refused entry. I take them then to my friends and have the paperwork redone. AGAIN. and pay twice as much for it.

Idaho Miniature Horse Club proudly announces a one day two-judge AMHR Performance Show on June 7, in Nampa, Idaho, just west of Boise. This is IDAMHC's first sanctioned AMHR show and are we excited!! Contact Lisa at [email protected] for information; visit our website, www.idahominiaturehorseclub.com as the show plans are finalized.

Pam

Does anyone have the e-mail address for the person who is running the Oregon Gold Show??

Amanda

Amanda -

The Oregon Gold Show is being run by the Oregon Horse Center in Eugene. They have a new person there named Carol who would be their contact, but Sharon and I are helping so I could more than likely answer any questions you would have. The show manager will be Barb Hento. You can either email me your questions or give me a call. The phone number is on our web page.

Mark

Mark, do they have a new web site up for the show? Any idea when they will publish the prize list?

Thanks! From your friend who can hardly WAIT to come to the show!
default_laugh.png

I assume they will publish a prize list on the Oregon Horse Center web site. We are meeting with them early next week, so I should have more information for you then.

Mark

Back