AMHR Long Term Plan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
The huge thread concerning the proposal as to how we measure has gotten me thinking. It seems that there are strong feelings pro and con. But this is just a proposal and thank heavens we have a chance to state our feeling and opinions. This is the internet at it's best.

What comes to mind when reading all the posts is that we don't seem to know where we are going. Don't most big companies have a Long Term Planning Committee? Do we actually have a direction. What are our goals for the horses and the members of AMHR/ASPC say 20 years from now.

Some one brought up a topic that they thought perhaps was sprung on the membership too quickly. Maybe a change for measuring (if enough people are in favor of it) is something that should be considered and hashed over for down the line. Maybe that should be a long term goal -maybe not.

LaVern, I have been asking the same question, mostly from the ASPC side for well over a year now and all I am told is to trust the BOD.

Well with the overall picture from the BOD, I do not see that we have a well planned out 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 year plan as to where to take the registry.

I own miniatures too, I don't like the new proposal as I like the B's most, although I have an A as well.

I would ask that as members of the registry, we ask the BOD and Breed and Promotions committee as well as the other committees to start formulating plans in the respect of 1,3,5,10 and 15 years and to put them on paper and post them for members to read.

I also, as always, encourage the members to get to know the BOD members and committee members and ask questions.

I WILL STATE, the BOD has done some good work this past year, I want to make it clear I applaud these things. But I have also seen some poor examples this past year as well. Its not easy to be a BOD member, nor a committee member and I applaud everyone who works in either. But I think we need to get a pulse on the whole membership and what they are thinking, not just a few. And there have been proposals brought before the BOD and Committee members since the 1st of the year that have been tabled that should be looked at more strongly by committees and the BOD.

I think what AMHR needs to do and everyone for that matter is to stop looking like a height registry and to start looking like a breed.

Well you asked so here goes.. many will disagree and I am ok with that..

I think long term financially we need to get back to the facts and the facts are AMHR is overwhelmingly the financial life blood of the ASPC/AMHR.

I think all this focus of ASPC/AMHR needs to also include the actual facts that many AMHR only horses are still winning. I think we as a breed need to remember whatever wins in the show ring and those of us that show are a truly small percentage of the registry.

We need to truly celebrate the single registered AMHR horse for what it is. Those B horses have always been the black sheep of the industry first with other registries and now.. with our own.

For many reasons many are not going to jump on the ASPC/AMHR registered horses some of those reasons are very valid.. and where will we be driving those breeders/owners and their dollars to?

I think we need to figure out a way to measure and keep it honest. I think we need to enforce strict sanctions and punishments against those stewards that repeatedly allow oversize horses into the registry and the show ring. (We all know the way we measure now it can vary even a 1/2 inch) I am talking about those 35 or 36 inc horses in the Under ring or 39-40 inch horses we have seen in the show ring. I think this is a huge huge issue in the under and over show ring.

I think we need to start promoting better and remember to promote the minis as well.

I think part of that promotion should include several things first- helping those areas with small clubs and no shows to put on shows.

I firmly believe we need to promote within ourselves - so many areas have never seen a true modern pony- or a ASPR pony or still have no idea what the NSPR is really all about.

We need our offical information to get out to us in a timely manner- including our web site

The registry is working on some of these things already but for me the key is we need to reach out and continue to embrace those pet owners - those who have minis as lawn ornaments- who may prefer ADS over the breed shows- who might do local open shows-or would prefer parades or trail drives- we need to continue to promote ways to keep them involved in this industry and remember there is more to the industry then showing.

If we continue to turn off the AMHR breeder with statements like I have seen in some recent threads without celebrating the single registered AMHR horse of any size I think we will lose more people then we would like.

Without those literally thousands of well loved mini pets out there.. we would be in a very different financial place

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said Lisa!!!!!!
aktion033.gif

But this is just a proposal and thank heavens we have a chance to state our feeling and opinions
My worry is "just a proposal" can become set in stone in one vote. Many times things have been passed regardless of what the majority of the membership wanted.

I dont know why some keep making everything an ASPC/AMHR registered horse issue. Really is every thing that is wrong with ASPC/AMHR the fault of ASPC/AMHR horses??

People keep bringing up measurement issues in B division. I see just as many issues in the 34" and under division. How many of us see 36" horses winning under division? Happens all the time.

But to address Laverns question:

Yes what we need is a Steering Committee. But it cant just be a name only. It has to actually do something. We can create committees all day long but if they dont actually meet and function there is no point. And we need new blood. Many of our current committees are the same people on every committee.

Long range planning and marketing is essential and we dont seem to have either.

Last time I watched the AMHA Convention, there was a very good presentation on the long-range plan for the registry. Interesting stuff. It does make sense for the AMHR/ASPC registries to develop a similar plan. My boss has a saying, "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." Meaning you will be running in circles. If the BOD could publish this plan and get the members aligned behind it, it would be a very good thing indeed.

Personally, I think the registry should look at advertising in "big horse" magazines, such as Horse & Rider, Practical Horseman, Dressage Today. THIS is our new market, people who are getting older and want to either downsize or share their love of horses with their grandchildren. And even more, magazines such as Driving Digest, or the ADS Whip.

I would also like to see the registry embrace other types of activities done with minis. If you are advertising in Dressage Today, for example, show one of our CDE horses driving a dressage test. I wish "the registry" would recognize and value this type of competition, which TRULY shows the sheer athleticism of these little guys. Why can't we have a HOF recognition for Combined Driving based on points? All-Stars? Really, this would help grow the registry for sure. It would help promote another avenue of marketing for out breeders (the life-blood of the registry!). I have got a cracker-jack CDE mare that really isn't right for the show ring, but when she gets into that CDE rig, look out! I would LOVE to see more of this TYPE of horse being purpose-bred. Just like the Warmbloods have lines that are jumping bred, and other lines that are dressage bred.

I also agree that the area representatives should help clubs set up and run shows in the areas where they are sparse or non-existent. It would be nice if the registry developed a "show in a box" kit, with checklists, information about getting approval, deciding on what kind of show you are going to have, what officials need to be hired, etc. Clubs could also use this for non-rated schooling or fun shows to bring in some of the "pet" minis.

Just my ideas, for what they are worth.

Amy those are good suggestions. On the CDE you could write a rule proposal to do a recognition program for that.

For the Show In A Box - they are very helpful in the office to get you rolling on setting up a show, but your idea is a good one - with that I would like to add - the registry sponsor a show for 3 years in an area that is sparse on shows to get them up and running. Like a 3 year grant. $10K each year is a good base.

Great ideas!

ClickMini, Do you remember any of the goals that they had in mind. Were they financial or more structure related?

Ok once again I know this may be not very popular but I always want to holler out to promote the YOUTH.

YOUTH YOUTH YOUTH

I have said this a gazillion times I'd like to see more youth RIDING the larger ones and do much more and especiallly ASPC for sure. Not every little kid wants to drive. Plenty of them want to RIDE!

Just tell me what kid wouldn't be insanely bursting at the seams riding on top of one of those big ole sexy B minis and flashy moderns?

I know there are a handful of riding classes yes,somewhere I'm told, but I have yet to see one personally and I would love to see many serious riding classes promoted right on into a National level. But last time I brought this up I was told here that it would mean more show time needed. So what? This is the youth we are talking about. Add another ten classes for riding, serious riding. I would love to see an extra day even attached on to Nationals if that is what it takes just for these kids to have all kinds of riding classes from western and hunt seat, park pleasure jumping under saddle etc. up to the sky. Heck, they can take those Shetlands and do dressage with them for heaven's sakes.

Can you imagine if riding was really promoted which it is not, what it would do for the industry? Not only would sales go up for the breeder, but sales in retail tack would go up as well and riding instructors would be jumping for joy. Its a win-win situation all around.

I'd also love to see a cross-over of somekind in relationship to US Pony Club where these kids can do eventing with them.

Just my humble two cents. Throwing myself to the wolves now.

I can't remember all of it, but I do remember them talking about promoting small one-day shows that would bring in the people that aren't necessarily into big-time showing. They also talked about how they were promoting overseas sales (OK, on this point it seems like they have been doing this forever. Nothing new.). If John Cherry gets on this thread, I bet he will recall more of it. I remember at the time I felt it was very inspiring. They should probably publish it on the web site!

Yeah, I know we want to promote youth and do more promotion with smaller shows, but is that a long term goal? The type of goals I would like to see would be example - by the year 2020 we will be completely fair with our directors being either or both miniature and shetland pony breeders.

By the year something or other we will be the most open friendly available registry of horses breeders on the planet.

By the year something there will be no more mini-verses shetland, because we are all one and equal.

By the year 2011 we will have the most savvy friendly web site out there.

Stuff like that.

I agree 100% with everything said! With the exception to Marty's post(No offense!), and I'll explain.

As one who was recently a AMHR/ASPC youth, I feel that the club already does LOTS for the youth members! This club offers so many things, both in and out of the show ring for the youth.

I personally have won a number of awards through AMHR/ASPC and I hadn't even touched the tip of the iceberg before I "grew up".

The club offers many high-point and accumulative show awards, as well as artistically drawn and written awards. There are also grants for schools and free horse give-away contests and youth royalty. There is much offered for youth that are able to go to Nationals too.

All in all, I think the AMHR/ASPC offers a lot to the youth, and I feel that there are many youth out there that are into the minis. Our local club shows have HUGE youth turnout!

And I have see youth riding, however I am not sure how big of a market there is for that. There are lots of driving and line performance for the youth at every show though!
default_wink.png

I loved being a AMHR/ASPC youth member!

Back to the topic, I personally would like to see the "grandfathering" rule brought in, allowing for us to be more of a BREED.
default_smile.png
I'd also like harder, more strict polices on the measuring rules, whether the measuring is done at the LHOTM or TOTW. And if measuring is moved to the TOTW, I'd like to see the height raised to 39" or 40" AND implemented in 3 to 5 YEARS from now to allow farms to make needed changes in a timely manner. To top it all off, seeing a "5-20 year goal" would be ideal for the registry and members alike!

From a happy, mainly AMHR B horse owner. Go AMHR/ASPC!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I get where you are coming from Deserie and by the way, you've come such a long way yoursef, congratulations!

What I want to see is promotion for riding these guys. Plain and simple. You hardly ever see an ad with a child riding. Everyone always says the youth are the future and I feel if youth riding events were heavily promoted, there would be a huge future and a new gate opened for many more members.

I have to say one day shows would be fantastic if there were many more scattered around as in "plentiful". As it stands here in Tennesse, we only get one show per year.

First, a little bit about me so you know where I am comming from.

I have 2 miniature horses, one A, one B. I LOVE performance classes!! Driving and Obstical to be specific. However, I often feel like I must do halter, simply to be recognized as a 'legitamite' miniature horse person.

Halter is all well and good, it is very important in promoting properly conformed horses, dont get me wrong. I love watching Halter and seeing all the beautiful horses there.

You always hear talk about the 'smallest most perfect horse'. but perfect for what? I feel like the performance aspect should be promoted.

Another issue that I feel should be addressed is the fact AMHR is a height registry. I dont know if closing the registry completely (from shetlands as well) should be done any time soon. (they are adding much needed diversity to the geene pool), but I feel that there should be plans to close the registry from ASPC horses in the next 10-20 years. Not because I dont like the shetland look (I love it, and own an ASPC AMHR 'cross'), but because Closing the registry could be the first step to becoming a breed. And, if after the registry closes, there is a claus allowing oversized horses to keep thier papers (a whole other issue to be discussed in the future), the current issues about measuring would deminish, because people will not be concerned thier horses will grow over and become 'useless' grade horses. (Not my opinion, but a common one).

These are Just my opinions and my desires, they probably do not reflect the desires of the majority of miniature horse people. but maybe it will stir some ideas from other people
default_smile.png

Just a side note. I love reading discussions like this one and the measuring one. Sure people get riled, but with this many people with such diverse opinions, the discussion is great and we are sure to come up with a great idea somewhere along the line
default_smile.png
default_aktion033.gif

VERY good points Desiree. Perhaps there needs to be more publicity regarding what they do offer, and you did a very good job of that.

I agree in promoting and supporting youth classes. Riding is fine, but I would hate to see TOO MUCH emphasis on it, as it is outgrown so quickly. I would NOT want to see it promoted to the point that people would get the idea that if you can't ride them, they are worthless. AND I KNOW that is NOT what Marty meant. I just would not want to promote the idea that they are OK as long as you can ride them, but then have to move on to something else when you are too big to ride a Mini.

Hey Marty wanted to echo your sentiments regarding ponies and riding.

I gave a very nice registered Shetland gelding yesterday to a youth that is into roping. I found out that there was a need and this gelding fit the bill. The young man and his dad came out to see him and both the pony and the youth clicked. They saddled him up right there and the young man rode him and told his dad this was the one. That Shetland gelding will be at most of the youth rodeos in our area, and I'll probably will be getting some phone calls from other parents wanting one just like him. I have been trying to promote our ponies outside of the ASPC/AMHR in our area and just may have hit on a nitche that will work for me. Can't wait to go watch him after this pony gets some schooling on roping young calves.

Karen

I

What I want to see is promotion for riding these guys. Plain and simple.
I totally agree with this. We always ask what to do or where do those larger minis with more substance belong.. well they can be ridden in Europe it is very common to see these little horses (even if they call them ponies there) being ridden and jumped and helping bring those kids up to larger ponies.

Karen that is wonderful and I do think more of that is needed - good work promoting the ASPC :)

Marty,

You hit on the subject that is dear to my heart, the first thing that AMHR and AMHA need to do is get qualified with 4-H as a legitimate breed registry, so the kids when that attend a show can get excused absences.

Then set up and work a program with 4-H within the context of the present 4-H horse program as a Sponsor and promote the heck out of it with national awards(sponsored by the registry)given at our convention or national meeting.

In any case these are kids that love horses and we need to get new ones involved in anyway possible and along with them come the parents and grandparents. LOL

The cost of this type promotion would be minimal, get kids from outside our ranks involved with mini's and expose this wonderful equine to thousands and thousands of new people.

As far as a long range plans, yes it needs to be a five year and ten year plan coupled along with budgets on how you are going to get where you want along with tweaking each and every year in order to modify them as needed for things such as the economy etc. That is the way all successful businesses should and are run. Both registries are exactly that "Big Businesses" with budgets that involve 100's of thousands of dollars.

The BOD of AMHR/ASPC has done a lot of good in the last few years and I applaud them for it. And with that said I think there are plans that are currently working that will help the entire registry in these trying times. We have a lot of very skilled people in both registries, that are experienced and full of good ideas. The rest of us as members need to encourage them to be involved and use that set of skills to further our small equine. It is hard though when many who do try and help, get pummeled by us the rank and file members for wanting to try new approaches to current problems.

Like some of the other posters I have my flame suit on now also. LOL

Like John I have my Flame suit on...lol

It is a wonderful concept to talk about planning for the future and I certainly agree it should be done. However faced with certain realities it hard to see beyond the forest for the tress. This organization has issues and problems lacking sufficient attention at his moment so as to prevent dwelling on issues for the future. This is not intended to sound negative but we need to get our car in working order before we embark on a trip into the unknown. At times the wheels of progress turn very slow in this organization and just getting through things that should otherwise already have solid direction have to be revisited just to keep them moving. Things like budgets for Nationals and Congress, Software program, marketing and promotion just to name a few. All these and more have or should have been defined and for the most part a matter of improving upon rather then a matter of establishing/changing parameters for. Our method of operation limits the time allowed for those managing the affairs of this organization to a point where even dealing with the day to day affairs of our club is difficult to maintain. If we are to plan for the future we must have a foundation to plan upon and until we stop oiling the squeaky wheel and start making smart decisions which are thought out and include consideration and the ability to deal with the future and stop painting ourselves into a box any planning is futile. For the most part tradition and the good ole days seem to dictate what and how we react to change. If its not broke don't fix it cannot be accepted if we are to ever advance or for that matter improve and expand. The concept of being proactive in dealing with issues if all to often viewed as agenda driven but not for the purpose of improvement rather for the purpose of selfishness. Until the membership of this organization can all get in the same book forgetting the same page any improvements or advancement is more apt to be by accident rather then by planning.....JMHO

Latest posts

Back