Hard Shipping New Zealand Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
It was so nice to get the minutes from the Spring Board Meeting up so early. Gives us a chance to think about stuff.
This is from the minutes of the spring board. It is only a discussion so I think we should discuss it.
e . Discussed accepting MHHA Registry and New Zealand Registry for Hardship in to AMHR Registry.
Belinda will talk to them, appoint a committee - Belinda will bring back information at November
Convention.
I don't know what the MHHA is, but we limit our US Canadian Mexican "R" Breeders. I feel that if they (New Zealand) want AMHR horses they can buy "R" American Miniature bred horses or they can spend years making theirs great and establishing a show venue like we have, so we will want to buy theirs.
What are your feelings?

Huh? The New Zealanders want to hard ship Australian registered horses into the American Registry?

Oh, I forgot to say thank you so much to Belinda for putting this out there for us to discuss. I have seen her do it time and again. She tells us ahead what is going on so we can think about it. She doesn't say she is for or against it, just that it is going to be up to talk about. Thanks Belinda.

To me that is what a good leader or director does. They say, "Hey folks something has come up I think we should hash it over." They don't have to agree with me. Then after the talk'n we vote and then whatever way it goes, is it.

I think that is the idea, hardshipping horses that are New Zealand or Australian bred and registered, into AMHR. I don't understand why we would allow that. The American Miniature Horse is being exported to these countries for extremely high cost, because they are a different look and bloodline that is only found IN AMERICA. To allow them to hardship their own horses, that have no similarity or rarity compared to what is being imported severely effects the value of "R" horses. As it stands right now, any AMHR horse in Australia or New Zealand is "branded" by it's registration, you KNOW someone paid a lot of money to transport that horse and can expect that it's quality should back that up.

BTW, Big thank you also to Belinda, I think it could be a very slippery slope if the Board got in the habit of constantly changing and modifying rules without any consultation with the members. It can be hard to guess what people could feel strongly about, no harm in asking.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem allowing any horse from any country to be hardshipped into the AMHR if they meet the criteria. Heck, they have and are purchasing quality horses from us into Australia and Europe, and have imported some of the nicest stallions and mares the US had to offer -- stallions and mares some that are established champions with excellent bloodlines here in the US that many of us desire.

Check the registry and you'll see many European breeders that have registered their horses with AMHA and AMHR -- to increase their availability for international sales -- and to improve their own lines. The influx of new blood lines into the US has had a good impact on our own "home-bred" horses, too, and several horses (stallions especially) have been brought into the US that are foundation lines we all admire. Heck, probably 90% will only be putting $$ into the Registry's pocketbook -- so what's the problem?

How many US breeders are advertising for international buyers? Many ads say "International inquiries welcomed" -- so are you saying their stock is any less "good" than ours? There is some excellent stock all over the world -- and how much nicer that if you chose to import a horse, it might be already registered for you in the US registries. And if the AMHA/AMHR want to have shows abroad -- why wouldn't people look to register their horses with them -- if only to show their horses in the sanctioned shows in their own country?

I think we need to learn how to play well with others and not think we are the only place that breeds quality.

JMHO ~~ Diane at Castle Rock

Last edited:
Oh, I agree that others countries have wonderful stock.And they are very proud and protective of them. Rightly so. So many of our breeds have come from Europe and all over. But they don't let you hardship their breeds here. My Great Grandfather imported horses from Belgium and he paid for registered brood stock.

Also in regards to New Zealand, if memory serves me right from old stories, they imported a lot of registered Jersey cattle at one time to cross in order to increase butter fat on the old Shorthorns. I don't think that Jersey people let them put the Jersey name on their Shorthorns.

Shouldn't a horse registered with the American Miniature Horse Registry be from.....America????? Not saying horses from other countries are any better or less, but our horses should be American bred. It just doesn't make any sense any other way, unless we change the name.

I agree...if they want that horse to carry the AMHR logo on its registration papers...they should have to buy/import AMERICAN miniature horses. Or be the result of AMHR-registered parents that were imported.

I agree with not allowing more outcross registeries be allowed for hardshipping into AMHR. Makes no sense to me, I think we should be thinking about taking the steps to close it down the road not open it up even more.

I believe that the registry IS the AMERICAN miniature horse registry. There is no need to continue to open up to hardshipping.

The Spanish Andalusian horse registry won't let you hardship a horse with American papers (there is an American registry, too).

And if they are going to open it up so that NZ hardship - then they might as well open up the floodgates again and allow ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is unregistered here in the USA. Come on....this should be considered by everyone here in America a true OUTRAGE that the organization would even consider this!!! Our registration papers, no matter what country they are in, should mean something. If they allow this...then they aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

My thinking too Jean. I think with the new popularity of the R horse all over the world we are going to have to think about how it is going to be handled. AMHA was so on the ball. Other breeds also. I wonder how they handle it?

Are we going to divide the World into Areas? And then if they are members and have different areas, is it just for show tabulations. Lots to think about, that we should do now so we don't put the cart before the horse.

It is very good that this was brought up for discussion. These are things that I think should be brought forth as discussions and then proposals for all to vote on if the proposals make it to the meetings.

Could our President be from the MIddle East some day, and would all the ladies showing have to cover their faces? In my case it would be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back