AMHR Amateur Changes ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the US Equestrian or whatever its is called these days (when I showed it was AHSA) you can be an amateur and hold a judges card.

Thank you Karen.
aktion033.gif

I think most of this dispute is caused by the original definition of an amateur by the registries. I think we can all agree that amateur classes are supposed to be for less experienced handlers, that is what amateur means. But it is almost impossible for the registry to define who has "professional level abilities" and who has "amateur level abilities". The easiest way to differentiate was by saying if someone is willing to pay you to show/condition their horse, then you must have above amateur abilities. So yes the rule states if you get paid you are a pro, but only because that is the only black and white way to differentiate. Now it is being stretched to include family members with definitely amateur level abilities from showing in amateur. Alot of these family members are people who no one would ever send a horse to for conditioning. I recently started accepting outside horses, so I am a professional. I live at home and receive all the income for the outside clients. It is my business. My father has an over 40 hour a week job, and while he tries to spend time with the horses there isn't much left. He has "amateur level abilities", he is definitely not benefiting financially from my job. But he is considered a professional and can't show in amateur because we are in the same house hold. He is a Professional Computer Consultant, and I definitely benefit from his income, and occasionally will take a message for him if he is away for the weekend, therefore assisting in his job. Does this make me a Professional Computer Consultant? This whole amateur confusion seems like a bad game of telephone where the original meaning of the whole thing is lost.
wacko.gif

If you truly go by the way the rules are stated then James' dad should be able to show amateur because he isn't the significant other and he doesn't make money from training.

Andi, I do agree with you to a point and I empathize with your situation. My husband is no where near a professional handler. He actually had to handle a horse for me at Nationals this year as it was a case of co owning a horse and wires got crossed and I had 2 horses in the same amateur class. This was the first class he ever stepped foot in. YIKES! THe only way he can learn now is to jump in both feet and compete in open classes.

Anyway, off topic but...I have gone pro and after Nationals started accepting money for training. This rule has been in place for quite some time. We have been working toward this goal for several years now knowing that my husband would not be able to show amateur after the decision was made. The fact that he has not got the desire or skill to present a horse in the ring doesn't matter. It was our decision and we knew the consequences ahead of time. I knew that my back up handler was going to have to be someone else other than my husband. He is invaluable help around the farm just not in the ring.

It really just goes to show that we need to think through our decisions fully before we make them. Evaluate the pros and cons and make an educated decision.

Also as far as the definition of amateur. Websters describes it this way

1)A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.

2)Sports. An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.

3)One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.

Notice the first 2 use money as the difference.

Remember all Olympic athletes are amateurs. I sure cant perform to their level yet they are considered amateur because they are not paid for what they do. They have to find sponsors or pay their own way to get to that level. Their costs can be covered but they cannot earn a living doing the sport they compete in.

Edited to say...I guess I am so passionate about this because for several years I have had to defend the fact that I was an amateur not a professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Annette, it sounds like we have a very similar situation, we also knew the consequensiouse of me becoming a professional and we definitely went back and forth for a long time and decided that it was what I needed to do. I also agree with those definitions, while it mentions money, it never mentions anything about relatives of those receiving money. The first definition I think fits many of our amateurs who live with a professional perfectly. The way the rules are now we are penalizing a huge group of true amateurs who are engaging in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession, so that we can stop the handful of "amateurs" that are actually professionals.

Point taken James and I do agree. I guess I have just decided that those are the rules and rolled over and accepted them.

I would love for my husband to be able to learn in the amateur ring but I think if the rule was changed, it would be taken advantage of.

We were discussing this last night and if it were different, my husband could be listed as the trainer and I could handle all of our own horses in the amateur ring. Lets take it a step further and all of his clients could lease their horse to me and I could show them as well.

I know this is blown way out of proportion but am I making any sense as to how this could be taken advantage of if it was not written this way?

As much as my husband is negatively effected by the rule it is necessary I believe.

Latest posts

Back