AMHA National Meeting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having increased $$$$ incentive will certainly help. And the higher stallion fees might encourage more stallions to be gelded. Only time will tell.
Will someone please explain this reasoning to me? It just does not make any sense.....ok, so you raise the fee for stallions $10????? Around here it costs around $100 to geld? I am still saving money paying the extra fee, but it just makes me madder than a wet hen to pay it. It had been mentioned somewhere (sorry don't remember where) that AMHA was thinking of lowering there hardship fees for an AMHR horse? For someone like me, I would be more than happy to pour hundreds of dollars into AMHA to get 4 of my AMHR only horses double registered. I would be happy and AMHA would be happy, what is wrong here? I just get more aggravated with the small fees here and there that go along with all the paperwork, when I get nothing extra out of it but a headache.

Oh, I also wanted to mention, I love geldings and it is proven by how many I fall in love with and keep. When selling I tell everyone looking for a mini, you can not go wrong with a gelding. So it is not that I want to keep and sell all my babies as stallions.

The one suggestion we did get was to raise the cost to register a colt period. Unless a colt is gelded before its registered it will cost a good bit more.
You couldnt do that either other wise you couldnt charge the late fees for registureing. I know for me at lest my horse vet will not geld a colt until it is a yearling. Why I dont know, have tried to have babies done in the past and they wont do it. And when I am finally able to geld it it runs about $130-$150. The last one I had done was $130 but that was 4 years ago so I am sure it has gone up.

I just think AMHA needs to look at there cost. Its already a big deterant for lots of people, yet they are trying to get memebers back. Raiseing costs more isnt going to help that. I think they are working to towards eventually priceing people out and lose even more people.

And for the record I have no problem paying the extra $10 if that is what it is still at in 3 year when my stallion goes perm. What bothers me is you are forceing me to give my money to something people used to do for the enjoyment of it. Your forceing me to donate to showing when I dont even show AMHA. I would rather give my extra $10 to some other worthy cause then to paying people to show.

I have gotten so frusterated with AMHA most of the time I sell my AMHA foals on application. NOw if we keep them, or are here past 6 months of age yes then I do the papers. Personally I get agrivated when I am asked to send in 3 or 4 sets of pics beyond the original set if the horse isnt just perfect(mind you this all just started last year). Or the fact they they cant even get my name right on registration work(its not a matter of just misspelled either its not even near my name).

Last edited by a moderator:
The new gelding program is set up to reward geldings that don't necessarily go to the world.

These points are earned at the local shows and regionals. They are also geared to the advantage of the amateur and youth. I say that because if you show your gelding in AOTE and Amateur halter, driving, Hunter, Jumper and obstacle you are way ahead of the gelding that is with a trainer and just shown halter.

BTW if you are so concerned with the cost of gelding, it reduces the cost of transferring and bringing the horse permanent so you can recoup a lot of the expense in what you save.

So, back ont he subject, I think the gelding incentive is fabulous but as one other person mentioned, I am paying into it but if I can not go to worlds I get nothing out of it. I know you have to start somewhere.

But earlier in this post, there was an outline of a new gelding incentive program based on Honor Roll points, where you don't have to show at the World Show to participate. It's a great step in the direction many here are talking about.

I think if there is something else you would like to see done to promote geldings at a more "grassroots" level, draft up a suggestion for a new program and send it in!!

Did I miss the answer to the question about the hardshipping? We have a couple of beautiful horses whose grandparents or great grandparents were AMHA/AMHR but the owners of the parents never registered the parents as AMHA, only AMHR. I would love to be able to make them dual, they deserve it.

Ok I'm so confused here. Whats going on with showing geldings in AMHA now? I keep reading it but Im not getting anything from it lol.

Sorry my 1st time showing in AMHA period and of course its a gelding lol.

I was really hoping AMHA would lower there hardshipping fees. But oh well, it doesn't look like I'll beable to hardship my stallion this year anyways
default_sad.png

I was at the meeting and I will tell you that AMHA is doing everything it can to make this be a great registry to have your horse in. This added money ($10 additional cost to bring a stallion from temp to perm at age 5) goes directly into the gelding incentive pot and the paybacks for honor roll points is just terrific, imo!!! I have a nice little AMHA gelding that I wasn't necessarily going to show this year, but decided to hold back a filly instead and show my little fella!

This is a boost for local shows, championships and worlds. This is a SALES INCENTIVE FOR BREEDERS! Geld those colts and promote the fact they are eligible for this wonderful program! It is a WIN WIN WIN all around.

As for those asking what is in it for me if I have a pet quality colt well, who needs incentive to geld them??? It is just the right thing to do! For heck's sake! That is what is known as being a responsible breeder.

Now since its been said I can answer it. Pet quality colts make great geldings and the payback is not for just halter. Train those geldings to drive, jump, showmanship, obstacle, they all count. A horse doesn't have to be pretty or have perfect conformation to show. As for the new Gelding Honor Roll system, the one show that won't help you win this is the World Show, you dont' get points there. This is based on only points. As for not enough shows, we can't do anything about that except attent the ones that are being held so they can do more, or help find a way to hold more shows in your area. This is not a cheap thing to do. The only way shows can be held is if people attend. Thats one thing that we are hoping the new gelding program will do, increase attendance at the local level. No one is going to win these awards on one or two shows.

This is a program to help market all geldings. The chance to win money and not have to go to the world show to get it.

Come on, I know its not perfect but at least its a start. It will allow more horses to show and have a chance at payback then just what is paid at the World Show. Plus it will increase class sizes so that the classes do give more points. I know it will take alot of work but we as a committee have taken on this job. We want what is best for AMHA gelding owners.

Thank you for making this gelding program happen! I love it!

With re: to it's only a start when it comes to gelding promotion, I don't think it's all on the shoulders of our parent association. We can also take steps to make local programs that meet the needs of local people. Here is the most updated version of a program that our club has had in the works since 2003. When we have a good fundrasing year $ available goes up -- when we don't have the cash the program goes on hold for awhile. It's not perfect but it has helped a lot of people and it meets our needs. If it works please anyone feel free to borrow these ideas, and if you improve on them, let us know too! Any club or group can do something like this!

(We even have a vet that shows her support of the program by working within out rebate program and billing LEMHC members so that they can get the check in before they have to pay her).

Between National Support and Local Incentives. Wow! This could be Great!

Requirements for all LEMHC Programs

1. Must be an LEMHC member in good standing

2. Must have been a LEMHC member for at least 90 days.

3. Renewing members must have renewed by current year's membership expiration date (February 1st).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEMHC Gelding Promotion Program

Purpose:

· To support members of the LEMHC

· To encourage the gelding of horses for improved quality of life.

· To encourage breeders to geld colts before selling them.

· To encourage ownership of geldings.

· To provide more geldings for the youth market.

· To support AMHA gelding incentives

· To decrease the numbers of miniatures going through public auctions.

Overview:

The LEMHC will reimburse qualifying members up to $150 for the gelding of AMHA horses. Up to $100 will be reimbursed for the first, and up to $50 will be reimbursed for the second surgery.

Rules:

1) Horses in program must by owned by LEMHC members in good standing

2) Horses in program must be AMHA Registered miniature horses.

3) A copy of the vet bill showing horses full registered name and owners name must be submitted to the LEMHC. Bill must be on veterinarian’s letterhead and have veterinarian’s signature. A copy of the horse’s registration papers must also be submitted.

4) The program will begin reimbursing vet bills dated on August 28th 2004 and after.

5) To begin with reimbursement will be limited to two horses per family, per year (Program year begins and ends on August 28th).

6) When a total of $1000 has been spent on the program, the program will be suspended and reviewed by committee. The committee will then report to the board or general membership who will decide whether or not the program should be renewed.

I have just one question

Using last years numbers - take the number of members that requested changes from stallions to gelding.

Take the number of members that would have "won" money based on the proposal.

What percentage of members is that?

And it is not about the money - I am a responsible breeder and owner. I have gelded in the past and will continue to do so.

What I have a problem with is no matter how you phase it only a few people are going to benefit.

And using it as a selling tool to a potential buyer there are way to many "ifs". If they show, If they place, If they collect enough points - when there are only ten places in the honor roll and some do not even have that many.

The people that are breeding for breeding sake will continue to do so.

And the people like myself who take their horses very seriously will continue to geld and fight a market that does not exist.

So how do we "win"? By being called a responsible breeder and owner - that does not pay the vet bills.

Millie

What I have a problem with is no matter how you phase it only a few people are going to benefit.

I would think that this is a marketing tool for those show quality geldings that are on the market. I will try to get a little more from my geldings by explaining the possible payouts to the new owners if they show him in AMHA.

I did attend the AMHA Convention and thought it was very positive this year. These people that volunteer to run AMHA have done a remarkable job getting AMHA financial sound, and addressing the concerns of the membership. They deserve our thanks as it is alot of hardwork (all the volunteers for either organization really do).

I find it a bit sad that one of our registries is making positive steps towards the excess colt/stallion issue and it turns into another complaint session here! I would at least think people could say - yeah the registry is doing something. Is it perfect and will it please everyone - never! But it is a step in the right direction. I really felt at this meeting the AMHA Committee's want to hear from the membership and are working hard to make changes we all want.

So, look at the positive side? There are better opportunities now for showing geldings, and geldings can if we work for it, become the horse of choice (like the big guys) for showing and for family pets.

Honestly, though, an increase of $10 for a stallion - I think it should be higher and no I'm not one of the rich guys, but if it was higher to bring a stallion permanent, we would all take a long hard look at our stallions! I actually think the fees for intact colts should be raised. Although that is a hard one to tackle - raise it higher and give a portion back once a colt is gelded, or pay an additional to keep him intact - I don't know!

I would also like to add - as I'm just as guilty of this as others - if you do not have the show venues in your area to get the points for different awards - get involved with your local club or start a club.

It is not AMHA or AMHR's responsibility to hold local shows or start clubs for us. If you want more places to show your geldings (or other minis), or want lower cost castrations (get the club to host a gelding party - many vets will do this), or start a local gelding incentive payback program. There are loads of wonderful things each of us can do. There are some very dynamic clubs on here that have great programs and all (to my knowledge) are volunteer!

Latest posts

Back