AMHA MESSAGE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini_Bre

Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Members,

Your Executive Committee has been working diligently these past 24 plus hours making adjustments so the World Show will be a safe and fun place for all exhibitors and spectators. We are looking at many different scenarios Hurricane Rita could cause for the show as well as traveling to and from the show for exhibitors. I would like to give you the most recent updates we have and some of our cautions. We met yesterday and will meet again today. The full board will meet Saturday at 5 PM Central and Post the latest updates on this Web Site.

Hurricane Rita has, according to the experts, been reduced to a Category three and has adjusted its path traveling farther east of initial expectations. This is good for most of Texas, but not so good for Louisiana and the eastern region of Texas. If you have been watching the news the tide has risen on Galveston Island and it is mostly under water, but not to the extreme as initial predictions. The Hurricane experts are stating this is because of the Hurricane adjusting her path northward. It is still considered a very bad storm but not to the intensity it was originally thought to be. Let's continue praying it does not build up any more steam, but wears down a little more before it hits land.

Dallas/Fort Worth's rain fall projections have been reduced, and so has the fear of flooding. We have been in constant contact with Will Rogers and they are prepared. The Staff have assured AMHA the facility will be ready and waiting for our arrival.

Currently all Hotel/Motels are at 100% capacity. They should be available for your reservation times, but please call to confirm, do not take my word for it. If there was, or is, a 'State of Emergency' declared the rooms might not be available, and we would not want anyone to travel that far to be without shelter. We will know more by Saturday evening.

The resources in the area such as fuel, food, water, etc., are another concern. I talked to the Chamber of Commerce today, they assured me these resources have not and will not be depleted. Just in case, it would not hurt to bring your favorite snacks or water, I like chocolate chip cookies, myself. We are also looking at the resources along the major routes in and out of the area. It is recommended those from the Southeast carry enough of everything to get you through the hard hit areas of travel en route to Fort Worth.

I checked with the surrounding State Transportation Departments this morning also. With the exception of the Louisiana and Arkansas, all states reported they do not anticipate heavy travel, or unusually impaired road conditions. The two mentioned states had a more 'lets wait and see' attitude. I do not think it would hurt to check road conditions for your route of travel.

Today, the current projections are fuel costs may climb again and for how long is dependent upon the damage. We are canvassing membership and the most common response is, "Let's show our horses." Food, water and shelter, will be available and these resources are projected to be plentiful.

Look for a new update Saturday Evening.

Bob Kane, President

AMHA

Your welcome! And I will go ahead and bump this up so others can read it.

It is on the AMHA website and they are updating it frequently.

Thanks for the update. We are on the NW corner of Houston and directly in the original path. We are breathing a sigh of relief but feeling very concerned for our friends further East.

We are planning to be at the show. If it turns out we don't need all those supplies we have we can just bring them with us.

smile.gif

Party at Al and Susan's stalls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dog45.gif
dog29.gif
cheers2.gif
champagne.gif
party4.gif

We'll be there - with peanut butter sandwiches if need be.
biggrin.gif

Look forward to hearing from the Houston group over the weekend, I know many were in the path but many farms are west of Rita's path and were spared the worst of it.

Jan

Back