AMHA facts about AMATEUR'S Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epona Stable Belgium

Reaction score
We have discussed that this topic may be closed,

We are verry sorry to have post this and I am verry sorry for this stable, They ask a verry low price just to pay the food and the vet's who will come to this clinic.

They do their best to help people showing their horses, this is the only stable who takes care about us and their horses!!!

We will stop discuss about this subject!

Please[SIZE=14pt] stop [/SIZE] reacting on this topic and keep having lovely moments with you're horses!

Thanks a lot for understainding!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Selling tack is a non-issue--the one clause you have highlighted specifically states that owning a tack store does not affect amateur status. Just to clarify that part of it.

If a person is paid to give instruction in clinics, they are not amateurs. If you have the proof as in a flyer with this persons name on it as the person conducting the clinic and it shows that you have to pay, Then you send that to AMHA. But you will have to prove they got paid first.

If they have a training center and they give lessons to horse people or train horses for money, then they are not amateurs.

You need to file a protest with the AMHA along with the $100 fee and they will look into it. If your claim is substantiated, you will get the money back.

No, but if you send it to the office and note on it that it is a protest they will know how to handle it and get it to the appropriate person.

You just need to make sure that you have proof that the person is accepting payment for the work done for you to win the protest.

You are also sure the person is showing in Amatuer classes?

Now are you sure that they are still showing Amateur? I mean I could win a National Champion Youth title this year and the following year, still have bragging rights, and yet no longer be a youth.

This person may have won an Amateur title at one time, but now is no longer an amateur. Next showseason, this person might not show in Amateur, and only in open.

Just thinking.
default_smile.png

If there was a fee for the clinics, who got the fee? Did it just pay for someone's facilities where it was held? Was it donated to a youth fund or other organization??? We have some folks here who may be professional trainers or amateurs that hold clinics, but donate their time and do not get any funds, if any, that are collected.

You mentioned a training stable? If they are getting paid to train horses for others, that is NOT an amateur. However, are they still doing this? Make SURE you realize that someone who USED to be a trainer, and has not done that anymore, can qualify to show amateur if they are not getting paid for any training, etc....

Just a thought.... I think I know who you mean. But, is it possible they were Amateur last year and have now decided to go "pro" this year? Make sure you have proof that they were accepting monies prior to this year.

Don't worry I will not tell this if I am not sure of this, there are more persons who would like to tell it but they are presidents of a club and don't wan't to loose there place, what I understand!

The problem is that AMHA just don't see what's happening over here...

I hope AMHA will investigate this...

I'll keep you in touch

Ok so I know that you can still be amateur if you are a farrier or a vet but what about a certified groom?...Now i'm not talking braiding manes at a horse show..I mean the kind wher you work at a race track type of thing. Just wondering as I am interested in this.

Ok so I know that you can still be amateur if you are a farrier or a vet but what about a certified groom?...Now i'm not talking braiding manes at a horse show..I mean the kind wher you work at a race track type of thing. Just wondering as I am interested in this.
My understanding with AMHR is you can be a groom, farrier, or vet. You can own a tack store, etc.

I'll see if I can find the latest info.

AMHR Rules:

B. The following activites do not affect the amateur status of a person who is otherwise qualified:

1. The writing of books or articles pertaining to horses.

2. Accepting remuneration for officiating as a judge, steward, technical delegate, course designer, announcer or participatin as a TV commentator, or accepting bona fida remuneration for services as a veterinarian, groom, farrier, tack shop operator or breeder, or for acceptin bona fide remuneration for boarding services.

3. Accepting reimbursement for expenses without profit.

4. Accepting a token of appreciation, other than money, for riding, driving or showing in halter/in hand.

5. Having the occupation of veterinarian, groom, farrier or owing a tack shop or breeding or boarding stable in itself does not affect the amateur status of a person who is otherwise qualified.

Yes, you may be a groom.

Sorry if somewhat OT, but--<Gnashing my teeth!>--I will NEVER understand the philosophy that it is OK to be a PAID judge and still qualify to show against other exhibitors as an Amateur!! Yes, I KNOW it's 'legal' in places other than AND including AMHR, but I simply cannot fathom the reasoning behind such thinking....I have ALWAYS felt that way-- am not 'bashing' AMHR, as I don't believe that ANY organization should allow it!

Margo

No, but if you send it to the office and note on it that it is a protest they will know how to handle it and get it to the appropriate person.

You just need to make sure that you have proof that the person is accepting payment for the work done for you to win the protest.

You are also sure the person is showing in Amatuer classes?
Ooh yes he was world champion amateur stallions!

That's not normal, I am angry because that kind of people will give you all a bad look at us.

He was representing Europe with other people who are also cheating...

Now you will all think, wauw the Europeans are cheaters! they are not welcome over here...

And maybe the dream of a minibreeder do go once to the US will be destroyed...

There is no controll from the US (Amha) to see what we are doing over here...
Don't worry, they cheat in the US too. Dishonesty knows no nationality.

Sorry if somewhat OT, but--<Gnashing my teeth!>--I will NEVER understand the philosophy that it is OK to be a PAID judge and still qualify to show against other exhibitors as an Amateur!! Yes, I KNOW it's 'legal' in places other than AND including AMHR, but I simply cannot fathom the reasoning behind such thinking....I have ALWAYS felt that way-- am not 'bashing' AMHR, as I don't believe that ANY organization should allow it!

Margo
Here's the real problem, ethics.

I've seen a judge/amateur show and not place under ethical judges.

I've also watched a trainer show under a judge they had bought a horse from (not the one they were showing) and win when they didn't deserve it.

Ethics

The word "amateur" really doesn't mean a lot in the mini world. We have amateur with talent far beyond that of the pros.

I have no problem with protesting people breaking the rules, but I think we may do better to reward the ethical judges.

So when you see one doing it right, fill out that evaluation form and send it in.

I've seen a judge/amateur show and not place under ethical judges.

I've also watched a trainer show under a judge they had bought a horse from (not the one they were showing) and win when they didn't deserve it.

Ethics

The word "amateur" really doesn't mean a lot in the mini world. We have amateur with talent far beyond that of the pros.

I have no problem with protesting people breaking the rules, but I think we may do better to reward the ethical judges.

So when you see one doing it right, fill out that evaluation form and send it in.

You also should fill out the evaluation if they are NOT doing it right. You have 10 days [in AMHR] to get the evaluation in. I usually wait a couple of days till the smoke clears out of my ears and then decide if I am being stupid or the judge is. It takes a lot for me to fill out a bad evaluation but I have when I have witnessed game playing.

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR carded judges are NOT allowed to show in amateur classes at sanctioned shows. 2005 AMHR Rulebook, page 42. More in 2007 Rulebook, page 19.

Pam

If you see a judge showing as an amateur, contact your steward.

Back