American jobs for American workers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Here's another blood boiler for you. I'm not a Dem. so I didn't have anything to do with this guys election but I may have to change that! It's about time these issues are being discovered and acted on. It's bad enough that we're taxed for everything you can imagine...worse that those tax dollars are leaving our country to benefit others!

Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., was in Bend Thursday to release a new report that reveals the extent to which federal funds intended for American citizens have been used to employ foreign workers on Central Oregon forest clearing projects.

The senator says more than 50 percent of the Central Oregon forest health projects funded in 2010 utilized foreign workers.

A recent audit by the U.S. Forest Service looked at four companies specifically. Each had been contracted to remove undergrowth across southern Oregon.

"To find out that 254 foreign workers were hired (by those four companies) and zero Americans was shocking," the senator said.

“Spending tax dollars to hire foreign timber workers is a fiasco, and it needs to end,” said Merkley. “We must close the loopholes that allow this practice to happen."

"The Forest Service must require Oregon’s forest contractors to hire Oregonians,” said the senator, joined at the Bend news conference by a local company that has been undercut by contractors who have used foreign workers.

The Democrat says that companies had been using loopholes to avoid hiring American employees.

"They (contractors) proceed to advertise in a state different than the one the work is being done in.," Merkley said. "They proceed to advertise in minimal ways. When they do advertise, they often advertise long before the work will actually be performed to discourage responses."

Merkley said he has introduced the American Jobs in American Forests Act to curb the abuse of the H-2B work-visa program and make sure that if American workers are available, American workers are hired.

His policy would require companies to work with the State Workforce Agency and prove that they have done everything possible to hire American workers before hiring foreign employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outsourcing is a sore subject for me. so I'll proceed to let you know about a program that we have in our state regarding the forests. I'm not sure it is state wide, but can only speak from my experience in my county. We have a stewardship program, that is were the people that use the forests, care for it. It includes several trail riding clubs, equestrian, several bike clubs, and hikers, we all care for our forests and trails. Just this last WEd. since it was a holiday, folks were out clearing the downed trees that fell after Fri.'s storm. I used to be one of them, but now because of age and health limitations I no longer help out, but still serve the committee with volunteer efforts. It's all volunteers, no one is paid and the trails and forests are mantained, including the building of bridges, removal of downed trees, putting down gravel, etc. Nothing is outsourced, we control our environment and take care of it. It is the American way to take care of what we use and need and desire!

Yes, but that expansion in Russia, is FOR the Russian market...read further...

GM toaddshift, 800 jobs at Texas plant

General Motors Co. will add about 800 jobs when it launches a third shift early next year at its Arlington Assembly plant in Texas.

The Detroit automaker said the shift is expected to begin in first quarter 2013, and the staffing ramp-up will begin in the fourth quarter this year.

The plant, which has 2,500 hourly and salaried workers and runs two shifts, builds the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade. Last year, the plant built nearly 270,000 vehicles.

GM said a third shift will help it meet market demand and relieve employees who have worked "extensive overtime" since fourth quarter 2009.

From The Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120623/AUTO0103/206230306#ixzz1zu71Wd2h

If they are here legally, then I think everyone has a right to work... IF they are legal. And dont get me started on still sending jobs out of the country...........!

Meh. Bush outsourced. Romney would outsource. No President is in absolute charge of outsourcing or responsible for it all - no matter what so-called pundits tell you. Nor is any President capable of or completely responsible for creating new jobs or losing old ones (Barring a program like WPA). Nor is ANY President responsible for how much gas costs. Most of it is that Free Market that so many insist is the only answer - and that is always dependent on the world market. If the Free Market can get things made cheaper outside of the country - they will - and DO. And we can blame whatever President we please all we like, but that is pointless and mere political grandstanding on both sides...

Tag,

I so appreciate your always well thought out and intelligent responses.

I love the saying that our political parties are just different sides of the same dirty underwear. Every few years we swap sides expecting things to be all sweet and rosie but it's still the same dirty undies you're just looking at them from a different viewpoint
default_whistling.gif

Meh. Bush outsourced. Romney would outsource. No President is in absolute charge of outsourcing or responsible for it all - no matter what so-called pundits tell you. Nor is any President capable of or completely responsible for creating new jobs or losing old ones (Barring a program like WPA). Nor is ANY President responsible for how much gas costs. Most of it is that Free Market that so many insist is the only answer - and that is always dependent on the world market. If the Free Market can get things made cheaper outside of the country - they will - and DO. And we can blame whatever President we please all we like, but that is pointless and mere political grandstanding on both sides...
Bravo! Extremely well said and factual, what a breath of fresh air.

It would be nice to have a President who ACCEPTS and owns responsiblity for the things he can -- in fact -- greatly impact. Blame, blame, blame. Nearly four years of it.

It would be nice to have a President who ACCEPTS and owns responsiblity for the things he can -- in fact -- greatly impact. Blame, blame, blame. Nearly four years of it.
Oh come on Jill, You know it goes both ways... Rep's blame Dem's and Dem's blame Rep's......... This crap is getting so old...

If you ask me, it is old after nearly four years of blaming Bush.

Obama did not inherit this economy. Obama campaigned for it and on his ability to improve it. Many billions in stimulus later -- where are we? Better off than in 2008?

Democrats had complete controll of the WH and Congress for the first two years and what did they do? Used the majority to ram through Obamacare, and not try to do anything regarding the economy.

Obama predicted he would be a "One term proposition" if things had not turned around in three years. Well...

314832_411621845540219_796719523_n.jpg

Yes prior Presidents have allowed jobs to go out of the country- this started happening a couple of decades ago or more. What irks me about the current one in office is that I vaguely remember an election promise to curb outsourcing jobs overseas so AMERICANS can get back to work. None of that has happened and the jobs continue to fly out the window to other countries. Then the politicians stand there like they are commiserating with the unemployed, yet are doing nothing to bring jobs back here. I can tell you from my own personal experience that the QUALITY of the jobs is not there at all. Elections speeches all sound the same to me, regardless of the party speaking - 'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah'

Bush didnt make the economy what it is either- he also inherited a mess from those before him. It just keeps getting worse. However, I have never in my life heard of a current President dump so much blame on others, while doing absolutely nothing but spend more and more money we dont have.

However, I have never in my life heard of a current President dump so much blame on others, while doing absolutely nothing but spend more and more money we dont have.
The blaming others has ALWAYS been there - we just have the internet and email and Twitter added to all the other media and it just seems worse. Politicians have been singing the same blame song for decades. GWB inherited a improving economy from Clinton - but that did not last- - and blame was still ladled out. I don't think it is any worse than usual - just the same lame blame game.

Elections speeches all sound the same to me, regardless of the party speaking - 'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah'
That they are - and Romney will be making the same kind of promises that he will NOT be able to keep - and so it goes.

You can track Obama's record when it comes to keeping promises HERE - as well as the GOP promises made during the 2010 campaign HERE.

This country needs at least 2 more parties to break up the Good Old Boys' two party system that has the country by the throat... more choices = more of a chance that more promises are kept.

Although outsourcing, offshoring etc. is a very sore subject with me - (as well as many jobs going to foreigners, legal or illegal), a president inherits what is set in motion, often times many administrations ahead of his term.

The question are we better off than 2008 - I think nationally slightly, personally yes. I have work! I lost my job and couldn't find anything for 20 months, even minimum wage jobs.

Let's be realistic here - we are a global economy and a lot will effect us, not one person can fix a global economy. I do hope we get smarter though as a nation....

Latest posts

Back