AMAZING dog story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love animals - like everyone on this board. But I just cannot agree with this. That poor dog should be humanely euthanized and given a loving burial. That $20,000 could be spent bringing a child to America for life-saving surgery. And there are plenty of children in the Phillipines who also need that vital healthcare.

I may get flamed for this. It is a touching story, and I feel badly for that dog.

Barbara

Barbara,

While I can't disagree with you, you could go one step further. Why import a child into the country for surgery when I'm sure we have plenty of our own children in the US that could be "helped" or "saved" with that amount of money. Or, for that matter, why do I spend large amounts of my own personal money rescuing dogs or cats when I could be saving kids?

Like you, I know that a dog may be an amazing animal, yet it is just an animal as compared to a child. But I will still continue to do dog rescue over child rescue. Why? I honestly don't know, but it's where my heart leads me.

The money that was raised was donated specifically for that dog. There are plenty of people who will pull out their checkbook and write a check for an animal, yet they might or might not for a child. And I can't judge them for that....it is their money and they should be able to spend it how they choose. If I were to start judging others, then I would have to hold myself accountable as to why I spent all the money I spend on buying/keeping pets, including my miniature horses, when I could instead be sending this same money to help a child who needs surgery.

Anyways, no flaming at all, as I understand exactly what you are saying.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
While I do think that such an injury should have resulted in someone putting the dog out of its misery at the time, now that the dog has survived and healed up from such a horrific injury I think it is wonderful that there is money to send the dog to CA for reconstruction surgery. I wonder--will she be sent back to the Phillipines, or will someone in the US adopt her?

Other than cancer and heart and stroke, the only "cause" I donate to are the animal related ones. People may spend their money any way they choose and if some of us choose to help animals rather than children--who is anyone to judge?

What a tremendous will to survive! Thank you for sharing that. I wholeheartedly support those who have supported this animal...what a sad world we'd live in if we didn't care for our fellow passengers on this journey of life.

Wendy,

I understand exactly what you are saying. But the children in this country have access to health care - regardless of their family's ability to pay. In countries like the Phillipines, that just isn't true.

And my heart breaks for that dog, it honestly does. I don't condemn anyone for sending money to help, and everyone can send their money wherever they choose. I don't think humanely euthanizing an animal is cruel and I think it is caring for the animal - just in a different way. I just look at it from a different perspective. There are so many children who die every day around the world from ailments that would be a "simple" fix if they lived here.

I just look at my daughter and thank God every day that we live in a developed country where she was able to have the heart surgeries she had to have to survive. She almost didn't survive as it was. If we lived in a country with less access to healthcare, she would have died at 9 days old - the day she almost died anyway.

I just put myself in those parents shoes. Knowing the help that my child needs to survive is out there somewhere, but without the ability to get to it. I cannot even begin to imagine that anguish. All of us who have children know we would die to save our kids. To sit by their side and watch as they fight for their last breath and thinking, "If only I could get them to where they could get help, my baby might live." I honestly can't imagine.

I'm not judging anyone, it was just my opinion, which I'm entitled to as everyone else is. I just thought I would try and explain my perspective, too.

Barbara

For me, it's about the quality of life. And the folks caring for this dog hopefully can make that judgement. She deserves honor and respect, either way.

Barbara,

I wasn't disagreeing with you....sorry if I made that impression. Rather, I was agreeing with you, then justifying my position.

Miniv,

She is expected to pretty much have a normal dog life after the surgery.

Wendy

Latest posts

Back