Ah!! She Grew!!...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
Well after today's workout I decided to give Romy a good brushing and trimmed her bridlepath a good bit. Since she was looking good I thought I'd measure her...this was the first time I had measured her ever-when I bought her I was told she was 34". Well I take her to a flat concrete slab, stand her square and push the measure bar down(I even moved some hair where it was her actual wither bone at the last hairs of her mane that was measured). She is Not 34" but 35 1/2".
default_unsure.png
default_new_shocked.gif
Wow has she grown in 3 weeks!! She will be 3 years old in March~do you think she could still grow much more?? I am feeding her a pound of purina senior in the AM and PM and she gets a small block of grass hay in the mornings. I think her conditioning is right on-she's niether fat or thin, but just my opinion. I'm not complaining or mad about her heigth as I got her at a great deal and love her dearly. I just dont see how her daddy could be 30.5" and her mom is 32.75" and she's getting so big. lol!
default_rolleyes.gif
Ah well! I guess I wont even bother with her transfer papers for AMHA. bummer!

It's always amazing when they are put on a good solid diet. I had a minnie mare do that, she is now 35", was told she shouldn't have gotten over 33". Oh well, I still love her. She didn't grow much after 3. someone else might have a better idea though.

If she doesn't already have AMHR papers, you can get them using the AMHA's (costs about $260 for hardship and related fees). AMHR has a "B" or "Over" division for horses over 34" but not taller than 38".

As a current 3yo, no, she should not grow much more.

It's not unheard of for foals to mature that much taller than the parents. I've got one of those myself right now
default_yes.gif

Did you measure her before you bought her? An inch and a half in 3 weeks is pretty fast!! I'd bet if you DIDN'T measure her, she was 35 1/2 when you bought her.

If you bought her to show or breed and had a contract that you were buying an AMHA horse, I would contact the seller for compensation. As Jill said, you need the AMHA papers to transfer her to AMHR. I would certainly try to work with the seller for some of that cost.

Good luck!

Nevermind! I hadn't read the part where you measured her at the last hair of the mane. I'd come back thinking I might have an answer if you'd measured her like you would a full size horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, see that's the thing, I did not measure her the day we got her, however I was told that she was measured that morning and she was 34". I kinda wish I had now, because I really think she was this big when I got her. She is AMHR registered so I think I'll still be safe with her height in the over division but I guess I'll just chunk her AMHA papers.
default_wacko.png
Thanks for the replies ya'll! I just didnt realize how fast they can grow and I was thinking she's so tiny...I can't imagine what a 28-30 incher looks like.

I just dont see how her daddy could be 30.5" and her mom is 32.75" and she's getting so big. lol!
default_rolleyes.gif
Ah well! I guess I wont even bother with her transfer papers for AMHA. bummer!
Well, let's see... When I got my stallion as a coming yearling, the breeder was pretty sure he'd only make 32-33" as his sire is 28" and dam is 34". Well, he went permanent with AMHR this past summer at 36". Good thing I went ahead and sent in his AMHR registration app when I bought him (breeder only actually registers in AMHA, but has application paperwork ready to send for AMHR, they do the stallion reports and such, just not actual foal registration).

I have my own 'giant' over here.

She was born at 22 inches tall.

At 4 months old, she is now 31 inches!!!! 4 months old!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Her dam is 34 inches, sire 31 inches.

I think I'll be able to ride her. :DOH!

We have a 36.25" riding horse thats what l call her she's 2 this year who was out of a under 28" stallion and a 30" mare. She looks so odd out in the herd..stands a head above the rest and we sure hope she's done growing...
default_no.gif

I can guarantee that at a full three years old, that mare did not grow 1 1/2" in three weeks. If you had measured her the day you got her...she would have measured the same. That being said, horses can measure drastically different depending on "who" is measuring, how they are trimmed, how they are standing, if they are excited, what stick is being used to measure, etc., etc. But a 1 1/2" difference is a big difference under any conditions.

I had a mare & stallion combo who had a foal every year for me, since 1991. The stallion was 33" and the mare 32". Most of their foals matured in the 29" - 32" range. But I know of one who kept growing until it was a full 38"!
default_new_shocked.gif
So, it's not all that unusual for babies to mature larger than their parents. I always say that 25% of the foals will mature smaller than the parents, 25% will mature larger than the parents, and 50% will mature right an average of the parent's heights.
default_yes.gif

They are right when they say that a horse can measure different depending on how they are measured. Cement floors may look flat and level, but if you put a level on them, you may find that they are not. It is hard to get an accurate measurment with only one person measuring as the horse does not stand just right when tied up and you approach from the side. I always get a different measurment when I have someone help me.

This being said, I still agree that she was probably over 34" when you got her. I have had several people I bought from tell me a horse was 33 3/4 or 34", and when I got them, they would be over 34". I do not mind as long as they are not over 35", as most of my stallions are reducers.

I do have one filly right now who's cannon bone says she will not be taller than 33", but as a yearling she is already 31 1/2". (she will really not be a year old till April) I know most of mine quit growning by 2 to 2 1/2. So I sure hope she slows down!!

I usually prefer the A size minis. I picked out 1 of my fillys when she was 3 days old, the breeder told me she was definately going over. We watched her for 3 months until weaning, with the breeder still telling me she was going to go over. Well, she shot up like a bad weed for 1 year, and then stopped at 32" (thank goodness). They sure can surprise you.

That is one of the "glory's" of owning minis. Since they are a height registry, you can get any size! We have larger horses that produce tiny ones, and some tiny ones that produce larger ones. When they are 3, they seem to stop growing, so I'd say your girl was the same as she is now. The person who measured her may have had her stretched out some, and may have used a different point on her withers. The measuring is a controversial issue, even at the large shows.

There is NO guarantee that just because the parents are under 34 that the foal will not go over. My neighbors had a foal one year that out of a 29" stud and about a 30.5" mare, the filly matured at about 36!! I have one now I am not guaranteeing height on and her parents are all under 34, and her background is not big either. It happens............

Nothing wrong with a B sized Mini and at her age, I wouldnt think she would grow much more.. however for her to grow well over an inch in three weeks... uh, no.

Thanks for the replies ya'll. She is definately not 34" as she was stated 3 weeks ago, thats alright, I'll keep her papers for AMHA until I have her measured by a judge but I can promise she isn't 34"!! Lol! Maybe I should take a picture and post it of her being measured.
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much for the advice and help!

I bought a colt this spring who was a 10 month old and 30.5". I gelded him and showed him AMHA and he meaured in 30.5" all summer. Around October I noticed he had shot up so measured him 33" ??!! I contacted the breeder who said she had been surprised all summer to see him staying so small but had never heard of one growing overnight like he did. She had him figured to finish about 32" so he's already taller than that. So, neither of us knew why he grew so suddenly. He will be two in June 2008 so I have no idea how tall he'll finish. I was actually happy to see him getting taller because we fell in love with driving this past summer so it's all good. He is AMHA/AMHR registered so will be fine either way. Yes, please Kingminihorses post a pic of measuring if you get a chance I'd love to see it maybe I'm doing something wrong??!!

Nevermind! I hadn't read the part where you measured her at the last hair of the mane. I'd come back thinking I might have an answer if you'd measured her like you would a full size horse.
I am confused... do you not measure them the same as a full size horse?

Adell Equine--no, Minis get measured at the last mane hair. On most Minis the mane ends part way down the back of the wither, so measuring at the last mane hair will give a smaller measurement than if the Mini were measured at the top of the withers. This is the North American way. In Europe or th UK they measure at the top of the wither, same as every oother breed of horse or pony.

Latest posts

Back