Ag Science Schools with minis/other school programs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
The Ag Science High School in our town recently purchased their first mini (they know what they are in for!) and there is another school in CT with several minis that came to a driving clinic I went to. I see this as a wondeful trend and wonder how many other Ag Science High Schools there are that own/use minis?

Do you know of any in your state?

And what are they used for besides teaching horse care?

They still want to bring their Equine Science students to visit our farm though, which they do every year.

ETA: I decided to expand the topic because it looks like there aren't too many schools that OWN minis but there might be other programs out there that USE them. I didn't want to start another thread and have Gary have to re-type his interesting response!

So, do use your own minis in any school programs or do you know schools/farms that do?

Last edited by a moderator:
The high school in our area Hampshire County High School in Romney WV was thinking of getting two minis because they have an ag program but also have a Vet Assistanting Course in the high school so they thought it might be good to have to let the kids have horses to work with but they would not have to house large horses.

We will see if they get two or not. I hope they do.

It would be a big step in this area because so many of the people in this area are cow and livestock people and dont think horses are good for anything. So it would be a BIG step.

Barb

Mary,

Jenny goes to Norfolk county agricultural high school, she transfered there this yr . They have one mini that they use for driving , I'm not sure what else. I'm sure she'll post on here also and let you know., I hear he has a real attitude and the kids joke with her that since she's the only one with mini experience she needs to put him in his place!

- Cindy

I am in the process of implementing a reading with equine program at the high school where I am a Guidance Counselor. We are establishing a library (we currently have approximately 60 books) of equine related books. The students who are testing in the lower 25% in reading will have the opportunity to read an equine book and do a very skill specific book report. The intensive reading teacher will review the book report and issue certificates which are worth contact time with two miniature horses. The AG teacher, the reading teacher, a special education teacher and myself will "run" the program. We all have equine backgrounds. The older AG students who are experienced with equines will earn mentor time with their book reports. They will teach the younger high school students after school and the special education students during school about the horses. Eventually, we plan to take the students on several field trips to the black beauty program through Arabian Knights and some open shows where the younger and sepcial education students will show the horses. We have a licensed EAGALA certified psychologist as a consultant. I have applied for several grants for funding and am approaching several feed stores about donating supplies. Fortunately, our incoming Principal has agreed to pay for anything not covered by the grants or donations. I am very excited to have developed this program with my colleagues. The research shows that children will read high interest materials more and their comprehension increases when they are vested in an outcome that is connected to their reading.

The high school I went to only had cows and sheep. We had this macho teacher that thought he was a cowboy. He had me bring my "BIG" horse in for class when we needed a horse.

I loved reading about Gary's program so I expanded the topic thinking other people might also be interested in such programs.

In addition to inviting the Equine Science classes at our local Ag Science High School to visit each year, I am also involved in a program with Middle School students in the next town. That program is actually conducted by Angel Horses (see link in my signature), a non-profit group that provides retirement homes for former therapeutic riding horses. The program teaches students with little or no horse experience how to groom, halter, lead, and be safe around horses. It is not a riding program and could be done with minis. I took two of our minis there for 2 sessions - one on leading over an obstacle course and the other to give everyone a ride in the cart. That was the only session that also offered horse rides to anyone that wanted them. Some of the students were from a nearby city and had never even touched a horse before. The consensus was that everyone had a great time and most want to come back for the next session. One of the girls who had never touched a horse before was fascinated with driving so I let her help hold the reins.

Photos will be coming to our website soon.

I loved reading about Gary's program so I expanded the topic thinking other people might also be interested in such programs
I can't take credit for that program. My wife Ruth is the one starting that at her high school, she posted under my name.

It is generally easy to tell if it is Ruth or myself posting. If it sounds intelligent and makes sense it is usually Ruth. LOL

Gary

Latest posts

Back