Advice please!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash's mom

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need your advice.When driving my mini today he steered beautifully with the slightest touch to the reins. serpentines, figure eights etc. That is until he decided that it was time to leave the church parking lot where we were practicing.He headed for the exit and no amount of rein was stopping him.I continually tried to turn him back and he continually would fight me.I let him head out because we had gotten to a stand still jackknife situation and I just wanted to get him moving again.At the bottom of the driveway I turned him to go back in and got the 360 inside wheel pivot ( not that I asked for that) and then some backing up even though i was asking for the turn and then finally the turn and we headed back in to the parking lot where he turned some more figure eights without incident.we ended it there and drove home happy, but it drove me nuts.Was I doing something wrong or did he just decide to do his own thinking? What do you do to handle the situation when your horse knows how to steer but decides to ignore you instead?

Thanks

Hi,

How old is he? How long in training? Teeth floated yearly? Sounds like a frustrating and scarey experience. There are so many factors that can give problems like you describe.

It sounds like you handled it well. You kept your cool first of all. You got him back under control, asked him to do something he knew, and then headed home. Excellent!

Just remember that he was not acting out just for the heck of it. He was trying to tell you something. He was in pain, frustrated, tired, or ? You need to put on your detective hat and think about what was happening right before he started acting up. It really could be anything from the sun had gone down and the shadows looked scary to he stepped wrong and hurt his hip. I mean I don't know what it was but it really could be anything so just try and replay what happened in your head and be more aware the next time you ride and see if you can't find a pattern.

Hi, How old is he? How long in training? Teeth floated yearly? Sounds like a frustrating and scarey experience. There are so many factors that can give problems like you describe.

Hi,

He's 5 years old still green and was trained for 3months by someone that knew what they were doing. Teeth were checked 3 weeks ago and were okay.He is super layed back and not much bothers him including the log trucks that passed us on the road.It was like he had just decided he had had enough and I didn't know what to do about it. I stayed in the cart and eventually got my way but it was not pretty and it was very frustrating.I tried to make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy and when he did give I released the pressure on him.I was tapping on his outside shoulder with the whip and asking for the turn and he just wasnt responding.( think side passing his way out of there) Have you ever had this happen to you? He totally went back to driving great the minute he headed in the direction he wanted (home) but I didnt like that he had made that descision for the both of us and that's when the battle of wits began.

It sounds like to me that he was trying to be boss. You did a great job of going back and not letting it end with what he wanted.

With the added information it almost sounds like he was just testing you and you did great. Next time it should be easier.

Yes, I have had situations like this in the past. With almost every horse I have ever ridden at one time or another. They all test you at some point. They just decide they were done and you just have to say, "No I will say when we are done. "

Sounds like you did everything right.

With the added information it almost sounds like he was just testing you and you did great. Next time it should be easier.
Yes, I have had situations like this in the past. With almost every horse I have ever ridden at one time or another. They all test you at some point. They just decide they were done and you just have to say, "No I will say when we are done. "

Sounds like you did everything right.

Thanks Everyone,

With him being still green sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing or not.I appreciate the comments.I'm new to the whole mini breed and driving although i have had riding horses all my life.I just want to say that I am hooked
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back