Advice on how to handle a situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the post brings up great points on both sides. If we put our animals out for sale to the public, do we have the right to "screen" buyers? And if so, under what circumstances? I think this is a personal choice and based on individual values - as can be seen by the diversity of opinions.

Since I began with minis 10 years ago I've personally been offended on a couple of occasions by the comments of other mini folks. Now, I appreciate the things that I've learned from them and for not saving my feelings. Sometimes we just need a little help from others no matter how much it might hurt. I appreciate their good intentions despite my own embarrassment and pride. I'm sure I've offended a few prospective buyers myself. You have to figure it's better to be talked to than talked about. And I'd take an honest answer over a "lost" email any day. I generally like the direct route where everyone knows where they stand, but with some tact and assuming good intentions. I don't appreciate personal opinions on things that are subjective (pretty, ugly, etc.) and try not too give them so much either.

BUT when it comes to the potential health of a horse I think I have some obligation to inform and also to receive input from others. I feel its part of my responsibility/ethic of owning and selling live animals. I speak up in the following situations: aggressive or large pasture mates, inadequate facilities (no shelter or heated water in winter); poisonous trees in their pasture; improper feed, farrier, or vet care; or a kid inquiring about a horse without parents permission. Selling a mare to a farm with a dwarf stallion would be the same sort of situation. I might also talk with the buyer about the plans for the horse and if necessary talk with them about a stallions head or bone structure being too big for a mare I was selling. But, for me that is where it stops when critiquing other folks breeding program or farm mgt - when it's about their safety.

The question for me in a situation like this is how much of a responsibility do we have to protect people's feelings and how much do we have to protect the animals? Usually if we take the time to think it through, we can find tactful ways to protect peoples feelings and still speak up when it's important to protect animals. If I don't feel comfortable, I don't have to sell my animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic.

Parmela I think you did the right thing. I always check out websites when offered for breeding animals (and pets), as I like to see what they potential buyer is thinking. And I do ask questions/voice my concerns if I think what they want/intend to do may not be a good idea. Too closely related, both have a similar flaw/fault, etc. BUT if it came to selling to someone with a stallion that had sired multiple dwarves and they aren't willing to admit they have a stallion issue, I definitely would not sell to them.

My horses future health, happiness may not be guaranteed once they leave here, but I do try to place them in good situations.

There are kind ways to help educate someone that may not know or care about conformation, but if they are in denial when the evidence is in front of them you can't control their actions only your own. Educating others is part of the responsibility IMHO of breeders, and we all can always be learning from others as well. But to knowingly be breeding a dwarf producer is a no-go with me.

I know a breeder that has had a dwarf born in consecutive years along with some truly gorgeous horses. I won't touch that breeding program with a ten-foot pole. Great bloodlines, but sorry, I've worked hard to keep dwarfism out of my herd and I would never willingly sell a mare into a situation where a known dwarf producing sire is used nor buy one that has that potential. There's always the potential a cross could produce a dwarf if you don't know the bloodlines/previous crosses, etc., but why purposely sell to someone that can't/won't see the obvious? I don't see that as arrogance. That is being responsible IMHO.

Some of you are being obtuse--not sure if that is deliberate or not.

why purposely sell to someone that can't/won't see the obvious? I don't see that as arrogance. That is being responsible IMHO.

NO ONE has said that is wrong to refuse a sale to a certain person for any reason.

NO ONE has said it was arrogant to refuse the sale.

NO ONE has denied that refusing the sale was the responsible thing to do.

Refusing the sale was never the issue for anyone that has posted on this thread!

Perhaps a few here should re-read some of the posts, and read what they are actually saying. Not a one of them is saying that Parmela was wrong to refuse the sale!

I am also the person who will, and has, stopped my car on the side of the road when I see a skinny horse and start nosing around until I can find out who owns it and what is going on. Animals can't speak for themselves and I happen to have a big mouth
default_wink.png
so I often volunteer my services.
default_yes.gif

Thanks to all who responded.

i totally admire you for that! i'm like that as well. animals cant speak for themselves, so we must speak for them. IMO, if someones delicate feelings get hurt oh well! if the life or welfare of an animal is at stake i couldnt really care less how the offender feels.

Latest posts

Back