Advice for newbie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debjs

Reaction score
Looking for the best advice from all you seasoned mini owners. For someone just starting out with mini's, MUST you have to buy 2 mini's at the exact same time? Can you purchase one and then within a couple of months get the second mini? Also if you purchase a stallion, what could he be put with? Another stallion, gelding! Obviously not a mare unless your breeding. What about if you purchase a mare in foal, will she be ok alone until her foal is born ? There are no other horses on the property, just a dog!

Hi, and welcome to the world of minis!!! Here is my advice regarding your questions.

For someone just starting out with mini's, MUST you have to buy 2 mini's at the exact same time? Can you purchase one and then within a couple of months get the second mini?

I think that can work out just fine, so long as you do plan to get another mini soon. Doing it that way, getting one first, then the other, will give you time to get to know the first one and bond well with him / her before bringing in your other mini, plus give you time to get used to the ins and outs of caring for a horse on your own.

Also if you purchase a stallion, what could he be put with? Another stallion, gelding! Obviously not a mare unless your breeding.

Often times, the only horses a stallion can be safely kept with is actually a mare. Many times, stallions will fight with geldings and most times, they will fight viciously with other stallions. Your safest bet for two horses most likely to get along would be two geldings. When it comes to having an enjoyable horse, I think it's pretty hard to beat geldings!

What about if you purchase a mare in foal, will she be ok alone until her foal is born?

If the foal is due fairly soon, that should work out fine. Keep in mind, if she has a colt, you'll probably want to geld him, or will need to keep them separate by the time he's about 1yo.

Good luck!!! Minis are so much fun
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone starting out I would not necessarily suggest getting a stallion.

Jill answered everything else perfectly.

For a first mini I would suggest a gelding or a mare.

With that said I LOVE MY STALLION. And can understand why someone would want one too.

I want to jump back in, thinking more about buying the pregnant mare idea -- just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Minis really need to have attended births. You need to be there. If you're not, you may loose the foal. Foaling is never without risk.

I showed and learned and planned for about 7 years prior to breeding our own minis. Just the same, when our first mare to foal went into labor in 2008, we ended up loosing both her and the foal. And that was with all our ducks in a row and cameras in the stall for round the clock monitoring. AND our vet got to our place about 45 minutes after we called (early into the labor -- we knew it was going wrong). He was at our place from around 2am until after 7am, but still lost our sweet mare and foal.

Foaling out minis is more risky than delivering most other animals and is not the same as foaling out big horses. The mortality rate is much higher and for a newbie, it could just be a devastating start especially if no one had let you know how heart wrenchingly wrong it sometimes goes. It's a steep order to take on the responsibility of foaling out a mini mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that you may find some sellers that won't sell just one horse to you if you don't already have another at home--they don't believe in having only 1 horse on the place because the single horse will be lonely without company of his own kind. Other sellers won't care, and will say that one horse can do just fine on its own as long as the owner gives it plenty of attention.

Horses are all different too, so you may come across one that just won't do well on it's own without any other equine company, while others are quite happy as the only horse on the property. Hopefully the seller will know their horses' personalities well enough to be able to advise you as to whether or not the horse you're interested in is a good candidate for living alone.

As far as keeping a stallion with another stallion or a gelding, that can also depend on the individual horse. Some stallions live in harmony with other stallions, others won't get along at all. Likewise with geldings; I've known some stallions that really hated geldings & could not be kept in with a gelding, while others do get along okay. Even if they do get along, though, keep in mind that can change suddenly--two stallions (or a gelding and stallion) that have gotten along well for months can suddenly turn to fighting and need to be separated.

I want to jump back in, thinking more about buying the pregnant mare idea -- just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.
Minis really need to have attended births. You need to be there. If you're not, you may loose the foal. Foaling is never without risk.

I showed and learned and planned for about 7 years prior to breeding our own minis. Just the same, when our first mare to foal went into labor in 2008, we ended up loosing both her and the foal. And that was with all our ducks in a row and cameras in the stall for round the clock monitoring. AND our vet got to our place about 45 minutes after we called (early into the labor -- we knew it was going wrong). He was at our place from around 2am until after 7am, but still lost our sweet mare and foal.

Foaling out minis is more risky than delivering most other animals and is not the same as foaling out big horses. The mortality rate is much higher and for a newbie, it could just be a devastating start especially if no one had let you know how heart wrenchingly wrong it sometimes goes. It's a steep order to take on the responsibility of foaling out a mini mare.
Yes, I have been reading so much about this on the forum and this is definatley not the route I intend to take. This forum is so helpful in regards to putting things in perspective. Hopefully other newbies will read this also. Thanks

In regards to minimor response. This is basicly what I seem to be running into. I can not seem to find anyone willing to sell just one. I understand they are herd animals and should not really be alone, but I thought for a short period of time it would be ok. I am really just looking for a smaller mini, don't plan on showing or breeding. Something I can work with and eventually maybe do some volunteer work at rehabs, nursing homes etc.. and be doted on. Maybe I will look into a rescue and see how that goes. It seems most of them are down south or out west though. You seem to understand whats going on here with just trying to locate one. Thanks

I would strongly suggest buying 2 geldings
default_smile.png
Especially if you arent wanting to breed. Geldings make awesome companion horses as you dont have near the hormone issues to deal with like a mare or stallion.

Please check out CMHR's website. cmhr site

Not knowing your complete situation, I will just tell you how we started and what I wish we had done differently.

Firstly, we should have had a fairly firm plan and direction we wanted to go. (An overall target)

What we bought were two AMHR fillies, that ended up being around 35-36 inchres at maturity.

What we want are double registered horses which will mature in the 30 inch range and preferably pinto or appie.

I was glad we started with two fillies and as a newbie I would be a little nervous buying a bred mare.

Make sure you buy from a breeder that you know you can trust. If you are buying from a stranger maybe you should try to see if you can talk to someone who has purchased already from these people.

If the horse is older and not from the breeder's own stock, contact the previous owners.

There are lots of other little things to watch for and belonging to this forum is a great place to ask questions and hear about our blunders we make from time to time.

Latest posts

Back