Add To Building a Barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novel_tfarm

Reaction score
YES !!! We did it !! We went this past Friday and put a deposit down to get in line for the Amish to build our Barn. We decided on a 50 x 100 indoor arena, with a 20 x 100 "Lean-To" which will be attached to the barn with a insulating wall. The lean-to will be fully insulated so that it can be heated. We will have overhead doors, between the lean-to and arena, overhead doors on each side and also on the ends of the barn with walk doors. Now I need, ideas of how and where to put everything in the lean-to area. Dad says the "Office" should be on the End, with the restroom and tack room also on the end. So this also means the washroom will be there. But the feed room will be in the middle. How do you, do your barn ? Can you please post pictures ??? Thanks

Shanon

I'd have everything in the middle with the horses on either side. If your Dad insists on everything at one end, get at least one stall between the people things and the end- you can use this as an isolation stall if necessary, then.

50 X 100 is a big arena- what are you going to be doing in there???
default_smile.png
How many stalls are you planning in the "lean to" (to me that size is another barn
default_yes.gif
: )

I must ask why you would want a horse area to be heated? It will keep your horses from growing their natural winter coat -- unless you plan on blanketing them all winter whenever they are out of that area?

And constantly out of heated area and into winter weather & back would promote more illness. Perhaps you mean the heat to be just for the "human" area? I think of it as people who keep their houses really hot in winter --- they tend to get more seasonal illnesses than those who keep their heat low, in my experience anyway.

Besides that winter hair problem, a heated area would freak me out because of the increased risk of fire, regardless of "how" the area is heated. Sorry, just my take on it! It's your barn. Do what makes you happy!

But remember, some things that seem logical to non-horsey people just don't really work for horses. The only time I wished I'd had heat in the barn was for VERY early season foals. And not for long then. Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong. Like I said, just my thots.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a 50 x 100 foot barn you could have 2 rows of stalls on the outside 10 x 10 feet making 20 stalls. 2 10 foot aisleways opening to the outside and to the arena and put the office, tack room, feed room and bathing/clipping facilities in the middle where it would be cheapest to heat and most convenient to access from either row of stalls. I too would not want the horse stall areas to be heated for the reasons Little Wee Horse Farm pointed out.

Latest posts

Back