Abuse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably gonna get flames here but I've always been told there is a percentage. Now saying that is like saying weigh your feed--- just aren't gonna sit down and figure is this little kid that's standing here crying just under or over the limit.

I try to judge their weight and the other way to handle it is to just say no one but my family can ride because of insurance. As a rule of thumb I've always firgured that a child and the saddle must not weigh more than 60 to 80 pounds depending on the size and build of the horse.

However, since there is no good way to be sure these little guys are well trained enough to be "ridden" alone, I will only use mine for leadline. The leadline class is maybe 10 or 15 minutes at most long. You are right beside the horse and the child so you have a feel for whats happening or about to happen. Here's a pic. of my grandkids in leadline. Both of these minis are 34" and the older, heavier child is on the older and oldtime "built" (stockier) horse.

2008SummerandFall005.jpg
2008SummerandFall004.jpg

The kids were (in these pictures, ages 4 and 3). The boy no longer rides and the girl has graduated to the older gelding. In fact she now is driving him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say I've read a weight limit based on percentage of horse's wieght, but I can't remember for sure what it is, but I'm thinking its like 20% (maybe 25%) of the horse's weight. So, if you have 300# mini, they should be able to carry 60# (75#, if you go by 25%); and that includes tack in the weight. [A stockier mini might be able to handle a little more.]

The videos that OHMT posted are absolutely HORRIFYING.
default_no.gif

My minis are so very rarely ridden...every once in a great while my Goddaughters come by and I will let them sit on one...but every time they have, I have let them know that there will come a day that they will be too big to sit on him anymore. They are about 50 lbs. My mini I put them on is 36". And they basically just sit on him. I'll let him graze, and if he walks with them sitting on him...so be it, it's his choice. But if they want a ride, I put them on my 26 year old Arabian mare. My son, who is 100 lbs, does not sit on any of the minis, he knows it, and he accepts it. I did not buy them for riding...I bought them for loving pets...a couple of them drive sometimes...but that is all.

I wasn't one who grew up with a pony, i've never ridden one myself! When I was 8 years old, my first horse was a 16 hand mare...looked to be a TB type...bought from the Amish. She's who I learned to ride on...and lemme tell ya, it was one long fall! lol

Angie

I want to say I've read a weight limit based on percentage of horse's wieght, but I can't remember for sure what it is, but I'm thinking its like 20% (maybe 25%) of the horse's weight. So, if you have 300# mini, they should be able to carry 60# (75#, if you go by 25%); and that includes tack in the weight. [A stockier mini might be able to handle a little more.]
Sounds like the same Rule of Thumb we've tended to go by....

Let's keep this at the top and get as many people giving this a "thumbs down".

Please follow the O.P. directions to YOUTUBE and get a message out there.

I went and reported as many as I could
default_sad.png
horrible!!

that being said, my daughter has already been ponied around on our mini mare.. she's 38" and stocky .. my daughter only weighs 25 lbs.. but I tell strangers/ people -that they are NOT to be ridden !

I LOVE seeing minis carrying around those tiny little lead line kids.. I think they don't mind at all!

I tell them if I can pick you up with one arm you can ride. I figure I can pick up about 40-50 lbs.... it works!

Latest posts

Back