? about you keep your stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Durin breeding season do you let your stallions even see each other? My land is all open and clear. I have 9 acres of totally open land, it is section off into 3 sections. So I cant get away from them not seeing each other and the mares. I dont want all heck to break loose. I only have one stallion now. I want to get another evantually, I am tring to plan ahead.

Thanks

My stallions can see each other but do not share a fence line. There is a road between them and about 1/4 mile of land, if not a little bit more. They each run with their own group of mares and so far all is well. Though I do have page wire fence, not electric for my stallions. Did have Spot in electric for a bit but now he is in page wire. No problems so far. I do have my 2 yearling fillies and 3 of my mares in foal in electric. The mares in foal will go with the stallions after they foal. I have one pregnant mare in with Booker, but only because she doesn't respect electric fence and goes through it or under it or over it.
default_wacko.png
:

My two studs are across the yard from each other. They see each on a daily basis. My only mare that had a live foal this year is in the yard between the two studs... They really don't seem to care!

THat must scare you when she goes through the fence. Ugh!

Thanks for the infe.

We keep our Sheltland stallions in stalls beside each other in one barn-- the mini stud is in the other barn -- we do not let them run out together ever though.

We drive 2 of the Shetland stallions together -- no problem though.

Yes, they can all definately see each other, and in years past when I have had a few stallions, they would even be situated in adjoining pens. I like to keep one stallion in a pen next to my mares, so I can easily see when they are showing heat. The others are within sight, and as I said, if I have more than 2, the others are in pens side by side. Many years ago, I did have one episode where a stallion came over the fence to get to another, but nothing before, and nothing since.

I have 3 sections with a lot of land per section. The left section is huge and we dont keep anyone out thier permant because it does nto have a lean to. So the middle section I could keep one stallion with a couple mares and the right section with the other stallion with his mare? They would be sep by a wood fence. Do you think it would drive them crazy? It would only be temp. I am only using the other stallion for stud service. Any thoughts???

Last year's breeding season set up....

wildstallions1.jpg

yep, all those are stallions.... :bgrin

Sold two and one went home, so it's down to just 2 stallions now, although we'll have 3 colts to add to the mix this winter unless they sell.

This year Appy and Buzz are in adjacent corrals where they can groom each other over the top rail. They are often turned out together to play, usually in the pen adjacent to my Arabian stallion. We're all one big happy family around here! :aktion033:

Stallions in a herd situation turn into bachlar stallions, with lower labido and eventual testicular shrinkage. The effect is reversed when they are turned into harem stallions again, with their own mares. The same thing can happen if the stallions see each other and can touch each other, even if not actually together. Same with harem stallions... your stallion doesn't actually have to have his own mares, as long as he has them within sight.

Wow! That is an awesome pic! Are they able to see the mares?

When you have them sep by a fence dont they try to knock the fence down to get to the other stallion?

Karen do you ever let the stallions run together with the mares?

Wow! That is an awesome pic! Are they able to see the mares?

When you have them sep by a fence dont they try to knock the fence down to get to the other stallion?

Karen do you ever let the stallions run together with the mares?
Yes, I have let them run with the mares (1 boy at a time, of course!) - that's worked fine too. During the period I had them all together we would alternate who we used for daily teasing... take that one out to visit all the girls - never a problem bringing them back to the group... as there was also never a problem bringing back one that had bred a mare. We were actively breeding the two mature stallions in this group - they ever had a problem with each other. They didn't share a fenceline with mares, but had mares in pens and corrals all around them that they could see (and more they could smell!)

Worked for us, the mares we bred got in foal!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Our two stallions share a barn (split in half) and a fence line down their pastures.. For the most part they get along great, however on occasion they have their little 'arguments' where they will pin their ears at each other and/or rear at the fence, which usually ends with one or both turning and walking away..

I have 2 geldings and the 3 stallions hate them so the 2 geldings go with the mares and the 3 stallions have a paddock of their own. In the barn, they all have their own stalls but can see each other across the hall.

with lower labido and eventual testicular shrinkage.

I wonder if we could get that to apply to my X husband :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I have three stallions and this year, nobody's getting any.......... :eek:

The two colts never had any so whatever......but poor Nick is just, well......a wanting man at the moment.

All three share a fence line.

All three are next to eachother in the barn, stalls right in a row.

No problems.

we keep our "boys" all together on the far side of the yard from the girls... however each has his own pen and there is space in between because otherwise they tried to get at each other through the fence... perhaps they would have settled down in time but once there was blood drawn i just put a stop to it. during breeding season their girls come live with them... however being donkeys this may make a difference...

we did keep them together when they were younger but once they started seriously picking at each other they were separated.

Very funny Marty. Heck it might work if we wish really hard
default_wink.png
:

Zoey,

Everyone does thing differently.........sometimes because of the numbers they have.

We have a "bachelor herd" that we keep totally apart from the mares. They are in a 10 acre area and have pretty much grown up together that way.

Then we have our 5 herd stallions........each has their own harem. They all can see eachother and all but one has just a fenceline between. Yes, we have the occasional huffy-puffy stuff go on, but overall things work out fine. It's important, though, to have decent fences between!

MA

Latest posts

Back