About Hummingbird Feeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Here's where I'm at....I went out and bought a pretty little hummingbird feeder...2 (extra) actually....one is orange and it has 4 jelly trays to attract Orioles. The days I've had it set up it attracts nothing but bees. But I'm not too bummed about that one as it was only $11.00. I did however spend a bit more on this one thats fancier and oh so pretty with it's bright fuscia color and corked hanger. Same one as in this link only mine is a fuscia color. http://www.duncraft.com/Aspects-HummZinger...-P1909C247.aspx

Problem is, the hummers don't like it as much as I do!!
default_517.gif
They prefer the plastic cheap-o one with the red base and the bright little yellow daisies. That one gets filled every 2 to 3 days because they hit on it so much. Should I let this cheap little red one run out and not refill it and maybe they'll start using the other one too (take it down)....or do they actually have a preference color wise and shape, size, etc.... I took the orange one down because that filled with jelly was attracting yellow jackets, and not only that they didn't like that one either!!
default_frusty.gif
Everywhere I've looked on the internet it says that they are attracted to colors, but it doesn't say which feeders they prefer!

Last edited by a moderator:
the orange feeder you bought is actually made for orioles, not hummers. the hummers will use it IF they find it but if you have other feeders out with the red base, that's what they'll go to.

you will probably find that the pretty little fancy feeder with the cork will eventually leak.

you can get regular hummer feeders at walmart that hold quite a bit of nectar. to discourage the honey bees and wasps, spray around the feeding ports LIGHTLY with olive oil cooking spray.

I also had a feeder that my hummers didn't like. When I let one run out, they went elsewhere. So I have a cheapy one they love right outside my office window and they flock to it. So if cheap is what they like, then cheap is what they get, and I get more hummers.

Hummers (or mine here at least) seem to like the red based ones better. I make my own nectar like Charlene and the same recipe. I do not add red food dye or coloring to it because I read somewhere it is harmful to the birds. I used to have more hummers at my feeders than I could manage, but since the giant red hibiscus (One on each end of our house) have bloomed, and the red roses, (climber on each end of our porch) are blooming, I don't see as many at the feeders, or as often. I do see them in the flowers though. Ours were so aggressive last year that I was almost afraid to go outside to fill the feeders, as they dive bombed me, and talked very loudly about it! They were afraid I was taking their food!

Well the one cheapie one yesterday ran out of nectar and I didn't replace it and this morning they are coming to the fancy one. It also ended up swarmed with big black ants after it was empty so I brought it inside and left the fancy one with the ant moat up. It doesn't have a cork at the bottom so that's good.

Come next spring I'll arm myself with all kinds of hummingbird stuff. But I think I'll stick with the cheapie feeders. You can get so sucked into buying all sorts of pretty blown glass feeders too, that pretties up the garden or deck area. But I'll stick to what they go for best.

I did the same thing, bought a pretty glass and wrought-iron hummingbird feeder, and the hummers prefer the cheapie red plastic one, lol! I still keep both feeders out, but I put the majority of the nectar in the preferred feeder. I've seen at least one hummingbird frequent the "pretty" feeder, so at least it's being used.
default_smile.png

Ours are terribly greedy and we have to replace feeders with fuschias to keep up with them!

We found a 32-oz version of the typical plastic with yellow inserts (made in USA, too!)...don't know if that part's true anymore (where they are made).

Good luck with the hummers. We are wrapping up our hummer season but I hear them every morning on the fuschia bushes. They begin around late Feb.

Liz

Latest posts

Back