A very itchy mini mare [Possibly in foal]

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As you all know I just got a mini about a week ago. Anways I noticed when I first got her she was itching her butt really bad. [Oh and she is possibly in foal] Now she is rubbing the hair off the base of her tail, and leaving grey lines from the bars, now shes doing it to her mane and her whole side is grey from the bars. Im gonna give her a wormer today, I looked at the base of her tail and dont see any kind of bugs or skin irritation going on. But just in case Im gonna bath her today. I dont have anything special to bath her with yet, but wil get somthing if needed, but is there something around the house to bath her with that may help sooth the itching at all? What does this sound like?

I had a mare with the same issue, not in foal though. She had sweet itch and the vet recommended we spray some original Listerine on the itchy spots 1-2 times a day.

Hope this helped!
default_smile.png

It could be lice, my mare was like that and it was lice that was the cause.

I tried the powder that did not go well.

Then I used ultra boss pour for horses and after one does the itching stopped.

At least till mosquito season started lol,

Well she does not have worms... so that is ruled out. I did a very good search and did not find any kind of pests like lice. She got a really good bath yesterday and we cleaned all her female areas and such.

I am kind of wondering if its just nerves?

I agree...LICE!! No, I really doubt it is just nerves. If it was tail only, I would suspect pinworms or smegma between teats, but with the neck too, I would say lice.

Dont think its lice. Ive seen Lice on an animal and I checked her mane and tail really well and dont see anything. I looked when she was wet and dry and didnt see anything.

Good news is I bathed her really well and wormed her just in case and I havent seen her itching since then. So well see.

My Cloudy goes nuts with itching when its hot. Like, rubs his entire body against anything, begs to roll a lot (even on pavement), and will sometimes drop his "man parts." He's not colicky, he just HATES being sweaty and or wet! Guts always a movin, he poops fine, eats fine, and drinks super well. He will drag his belly on the ground even! He drinks very well, and will dunk his head in the tank. Just doesn't do well in the heat.

Could she have just been hot, pregnant, and whiny?

All horses have worms all the time even if they test negative for a fecal, they have worms. That's because the fecal won't show the ones that are migrating and hatching and about to hatch.

You may never see the lice but they could be there. It won't hurt to treat for them. I just dusted some of mine with 5% 7 dust and de-wormed them again because I also have itchy ones. I also found a dog shampoo by Osyter at Walmart with aloe that helped. Good luck.

Checked her a few times today and didnt see any itchy or any signs of that she had. Maybe her bath helped
default_smile.png

I will reworm her again when its time, and look into that shampoo.

Latest posts

Back