A tip for the rest of you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdmomjb

Reaction score
A head light. Yes Harbor Freight had these on sale today while I was in and for $6.00 I thought I would give it a try.

WOW
default_new_shocked.gif
I was able to get to the barn through all the gates without having to hold the flash light between my knees.

Carring hay from the barn to the paddocks was a breeze with both hands to hold hay, open gates and keep the girls from taking extra from the guys share.

No more reaching in to a feed bin and grabing a cat or chicken or worse the SSSSSS word.

I have power in the barn but when I put the switches in I didnt think about not being able to use the main door to get in and out. The girls have learned to open this door if I dont lock it so I have to use the side door and grope my way to the switch hopping not to find one of the SSSSSSSSS's on the way. I have been leaving a rope light on in the barn but I don't like to as I am trying to live a little greener and 45 watts x 24 hrs x 365 is somthing I can now cut.

Walking arround the pasture was a pleasure you dont get the bobble and sway as when holding a flash light. The 5 leds in this should last longer than me which is also green. Add rechargable Nicads and there you have it.

Go head light.

1st choice for my friends with horses this christmas.

Jan

Barnbum, they would fit over a knit cap or such but the light is angled downward from you forehead and a ball cap would not work unless you wore it backwards.
default_wink.png

Jan

my husband loves his, much better than holding the flashlight between his teeth :DOH! i hate things on my head so have only tried it once... it seemed to me that the light was shining into my eyes so i didn't like it much, it was hard to see, the light right above my eyes was very distracting. the IDEA is a great one... just have to modify it! or maybe there are other models out there that would not shine down as well as out? i will have to look, now that i am feeding in the dark morning and night it sure would be handy!!!

Another good one is the LED light baseball hat... I bought my husband one for hands free car working on in Camo of course he loves it. And I sneak off with it ALOT, lol

I should have mentioned the lights are hidden in the brim of hat so ya can wear all day and no one knows there are lights there, and the switch is under the brim,

Yep, I love my headlamp. It is so "handy!" I use it for my evening pony and rabbit chores.
default_biggrin.png

Hmmmm...If I wear one, and I put one on Sunny, maybe we can go for a drive when i get home from work. It's so unfair that we finally live with decent temperatures all winter but it's too dark to do anything!!

I've always wanted one of those as I thougth they would be mighty handy around the ranch! Especially with it getting dark so early at this time of year. Now we need to see a pix of your sporting it
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

I laughed when my husband bought one of those and now I love having one. I got mine from LLBean and it has a little switch on it to change the type of light. There is one switch that changes all the eyes red so they really show up at night...I know just where my dogs and horses are with this red beam. But.....Marty would hate it because when I walk near my pond at night a can see a bizzillion froggy eyes all in red just staring at me.....as long as I dont see gator eyes Im o.k. Heidi

I LOVE my headlamp and use it morning and night! I got mine in the hunting department at WalMart. It's got a white or red light, and you can aim it up or down as you like too. Mine takes three AAA batteries, so it took a day or so to get used to the weight of it on my forehead, but now I can't live without it. I have lights in my barn, but sometimes I just like to check and not wake everybody up. Plus it's so handy when I carry hay out to the fields in the dark mornings.

We find ourselves using it for other things too...like when the dog unplugs the keyboard wire from the back of the computer and we have to climb under the desk to plug it back in. We've used it for looking at the fuse box under the dash in our van. And I used it to fish out a sliver in my palm. Nothing like a good bright light to help with stuff like that. I've even used it at night to read when I was visiting at someone else's house and I didn't want to leave the light on late.

Trust me, once you have one (or two) of these, you won't know what you did before you got it!

Jayne

I got mine for christmas about 4 or 5 years ago. I still have it and still use it. I think they are wonderful. I got mine because I worked late and I had show rabbits that had to be fed after I got home. They work great where you look is where the light goes.

Love my headlamps. I have several. For the ones that are uncomfortable on the head or don't fit quite right, I hang them around my neck. It doesn't work as well as on the head, but still keeps the hands free. I find that I don't like the one that have just one strap around the forehead. Look for one that has a third strap across the top of the head. They tend to stay in place a little better.

Hi Jan,

Its been several years now but we toyed with the idea of building light bars onto carts. We dismissed the idea in favor of head mounted lights as this would always put light where you wanted it.

Now with the advent of really high powered and focused LED's that are quite affordable the choices are numerous. I will be giving several this year as presents because they are so handy in so many different ways.

Bb

AM I ON YOUR LIST?????? I want one!!! I want one!!!! I don't have light in my barn!!!!!

he heheee
default_biggrin.png

Shelley<><

Another good one is the LED light baseball hat... I bought my husband one for hands free car working on in Camo of course he loves it. And I sneak off with it ALOT, lol

I should have mentioned the lights are hidden in the brim of hat so ya can wear all day and no one knows there are lights there, and the switch is under the brim,
So hey, fess up, where did you get it? I want one
default_biggrin.png

Maxine

I've used these for years! I like the ones with top strap, helps keep it in place if you use it without a hat as hair is slick. Use mine all year as I often need to leave at 3 or 4 in the AM and it's dark no matter the time of year!
default_yes.gif
It is amazing how much clearer things are with the red light at night. It works great for feeding, quietly doing barn check. When my mares see a red light they come running -- they know a feed bucket is often close at hand
default_biggrin.png

Mine is also adjustable at the angle of the light -- so if you think it's shining into your own face, you can change that. It "clicks" as it ratchets into another position. You can also get them that clip onto a rim, etc. Personally I think the head one is good as you can move you head easily to control to light beam. Not good for extreme distance, still need a high powered for that.

FOALING..........let me tell you, it aims light where you need it and hands free!!!!! Ya gotta have one or two.

What a great idea! I'm putting that on my Christmas wish list.

Latest posts

Back