A Question for The experts on Here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnldy

Reaction score
A Question on colorations. My mom recently saw a TV piece about mini donkeys and the lady called hers "Jerusalem Crosses". Now I thought that was a color pattern, but I thought I would come ask. Mom keeps saying thats what she wants,LOL. I have been looking more for the pinto looking ones tho I think they are all cute and would probably work in with my minis really well .

A Question on colorations. My mom recently saw a TV piece about mini donkeys and the lady called hers "Jerusalem Crosses". Now I thought that was a color pattern, but I thought I would come ask. Mom keeps saying thats what she wants,LOL. I have been looking more for the pinto looking ones tho I think they are all cute and would probably work in with my minis really well .

i am the last one to call myself an "expert" but here is what I know: i have been told that ALL donkeys wear a cross, even the true black ones where it doesn't show in their hair, it is still on their skin. so far every donkey i have owned has had a cross. even the spotted ones, although they can be "interrupted", but they are there. however i have seen 2 mammoth donkeys that were a rusty roan type color where i did NOT see a cross. not sure why that is...

i have never heard donkeys referred to as a "Jerusalem Crosses"

so you shouldn't have a problem making both yourself and you mom happy
default_yes.gif
:

:bgrin Thank You Susan. That's what I thought but I wasn't at all sure. I want one ,but I have to convince hubby first. He keeps saying they are mean and I keep telling him not to make such general statements without checking his facts. He thought the mini's were too(goes back to a Shetland someone had when he was a kid,ice ages you know). Mine have taught him different there.

:bgrin Thank You Susan. That's what I thought but I wasn't at all sure. I want one ,but I have to convince hubby first. He keeps saying they are mean and I keep telling him not to make such general statements without checking his facts. He thought the mini's were too(goes back to a Shetland someone had when he was a kid,ice ages you know). Mine have taught him different there.

hey just send him to my place... and my donks will show him that donks are NOT mean. in fact my girls tell me they are TOO friendly!

I think what you are referring to as the JERUSALEM CROSS, is coming from the story about the donkey cross, which all donkeys do have. MOst miniature donkeys are overly friendly. We have some rescue donkeys that have been HORRIBLE abused, and even those donkeys now have the sweetest personalities. Alot of people think donkeys are stubborn ...there not, there just overly cautious and wont do something until they are 100% sure about it. Donkeys are very intelligent, and have a completely differant personality then a miniature horse does. My donkeys all want to be pocket pets only, they are the first ones up to the gate to greet me, and the first ones to bray in the barn. You cant help but fall in love with them, its great being owned by a donkey! Here is the story of the cross, from the Tenn. Donkey Association page...[SIZE=14pt]Everyone knows that the donkey carries a cross on his back. Most people don't know the legend of the donkey's cross. The Story is told that the little donkey that had been Jesus' mount on Palm Sunday, came to the hill of Calvary. Seeing the tragic event occurring there he wished with all his heart he had been able to carry the cross for Jesus as he was the proper one to carry heavy burdens. The donkey turned his back on the sight, but he could not leave because he wished to stay until all was over because of his love for Jesus. In reward for the loyal and humble love of the little donkey the Lord caused the shadow of the cross to fall across his back and left it there for the donkey to carry forevermore as a sign that the love of God, no matter how humble carries a reward for all to see. It's also told that the leg stripes were received from walking through the palm branches that were laid in it's path in honor of the burden the donkey was carrying. [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back