A Question for The experts on Here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnldy

Reaction score
In horses there are a variety of ailments that crop up. A diabetes that necessitates a special diet, Laminitus to the point that the horses can't even be allowed to graze, Heaves, allergy's, and I am sure many other things I can't think of at the moment. How many of these things either are hereditary or the tendency to them(as in asthma and allergy's in people) is hereditary. As a future breeder I am very interested in others opinions in these things. I would not want to bring these little darlings into the world knowing they might face those illnesses because of me. We need to think of the future since they can live for 30 plus years. Good conformation is important ,but good healthy animals that can live a long healthy life is important too. Not all are lucky enough to be pampered like many on here do. All opinions are welcome Just remember we all have our own opinions . Lets hear it from the pro's!

im not an expert for sure but will give my opinion.

some of the things you mentioned I dont believe have anything to do with being inherited. Such as heaves or laminitis. I have been told that horses with heaves usually has a severe respitory infection that scarred the lungs which lead to heaves. Laminitis can be caused by a lot of things such as overgrazing spring grass, overfeeding grain etc. So a lot of times laminitis (NOT ALWAYS) is caused by a management problem or is a reaction to disease somewhere else in the horses body.

I would like to point out though that good conformation also leads to a healthy long life for a horse. One of our last rescues is a good point. she was very sickle hocked which led to arthritis at a fairly young age. So she limps and walks with pain due to her poor conformation. So conformation isnt just about breeding and the show ring its about horses living a long pain free life
default_smile.png

kay kay makes some great points.

Diabetes CAN be hereditary.

Heaves, laminitis, etc....probably not.

It depends on what condition you're dealing with. BEST ADVICE: Get a prepurchase vet exam and discuss all concerns with your vet prior to purchase.

While I don't believe that laminitis itself is hereditary--I believe that the predisposition to it is. For a long time I didn't think there was anything in that theory--years back I was told that by a long time & very outspoken Morgan breeder. She said that one certain line of Morgans was very prone to founder--she lives in an area that has a large population of Morgans and has been in a position to watch what becomes of a lot of different horses, and she insists that this one particular line has a much higher-than-normal tendency to founder. When she originally told me this, I pooh-poohed it and like Kay said it was just all in the management of the horses, etc. etc. However, in the years since then I have taken note--again in the Morgans, I've seen where a farm using a badly foundered mare as a broodmare--they sold her foals to various farms across the country and within a few years a number of them were lame and put to sleep due to severe founder (and yes, the mare is of that particular breeding). Perhaps it is coincidence that different farms would have just the one horse founder--the one horse they own off that one mare--but any more I am skeptical that it is only coincidence. I really believe that in many cases there is some weakness in the horse that causes it to founder when no other horse on the place is likewise affected--even though the other horses may be subject to the same conditions as the horse which develops laminitis (over-rich feed, excess weight, spoiled feed, whatever the trigger may be)--and that weakness is hereditary. What the specific weakness is I don't know--maybe weak hoof structure (hoof may look perfectly normal, but simply isn't strong enough to stand up to certain stresses?)

I don't believe that all foundered horses have a genetic predisposition to it. Sometimes horses do get a severe overload (feed, weigh bearing after an injury--think Barbaro--infection due to retained placenta) that is likely to cause laminitis in any horse. In some cases, though, I do believe there is a hereditary factor.

While I would hardly call myself an expert either I agree with Minimor. It has been my experience that both heaves and laminitis or the tendancy towards them can be an hereditory condition. I have seen them both passed along in foals.

I think that both of them can be and are caused by improper horse care but the tendancy or predisposition to them can also be inherited. Heaves that are allergy related are particularly lkely to be passed down to the next generation. I had a mare that suffered from allergic heaves and so did her mother. Not one other horse in my barn has ever suffered from heaves (knock on wood quick!) I also know of a Paint horse that is very carefully managed due to his heavey condition seemingly inherited from his dam. I know too of a quarterhorse line that seems to have a predisposition to laminitis.

I think in both cases that very careful handling of the horse can prevent or lessen the effects but you can't always be sure that it won't happen. I would look at past history and the reasons for the occurance before I would choose to breed a horse with either disability.

I also do not even come close to considering myself an expert but I agree with what has already been said.

If a health issue was obviously caused by injury or non-genetic illness and would not limit the quality of life of a horse, and if the issue would not make carrying a foal risky to either the mare or foal then I would see no reason to keep the horse from breeding if it were an otherwise excellent example of the breed. But if I suspected there were even the least bit of genetic component in the issue I wouldn't breed.

you know i have often thought that Laminitis and even some forms of colic could lean towards a hereditary trait! Some lines of horses just seem more prone to it. as someone else said..we dont' know WHAT the trait is..but i think here is a hereditary disposition towards it. Not all cases are such but some i beleive.

I know some lines of Welsh ponies are very prone to founder too. I've had horses for years and do some stuff that other people would never dream to do that would cause their horse to founder or colic and never had a problem. I think it depends on the horse, herditary and management. but id ont' beleive i'ts managament alone in most cases!!

So far you are all echoing the way I feel very much. I do not have any degree's in animal husbandry or vet. science but I do know these little guys were "origionally" bred to be hardy and little workers. They ran out on pasture and lived in the elements. I wonder how many could do that now. I love my little guys very much ,but I do try to let them be horses. We all need to remember they are horses,not dogs or people. OO I will get off that soapbox. Come on guys ,other ideas and feelings welcome !

By coincidence, I attended a horse health seminar just last week. One of the guest speakers was a vet talking about "health issues in the geriatric horse". It was brought out that Cushings disease (related to diabetes) was quite prevelant in the Morgan breed as they age, which would seem to me to indicate a genetic tendency toward that.

Ginia - if you have any speaker notes you could share with me, I would love to see them!

After a lot of research, and moderating the Cushings/IR Yahoo forum for almost 4 years, I am conviced there is a genetic influence on IR horses. I currently have one offspring of my Cushings/IR horse and there is absolutely no way I would ever consider breeding her - just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Liz R.

Oh please post any links or notes you have Ginia. This is the type information I was hoping this topic would generate. Anyone else that might have information ,or ideas?? Personal experiences?

Latest posts

Back