A question for animal communicators

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
Can you ever get an animal to change a behavior by communicating with them? We are making imporvements but .....

Things like growling at men. We figure she had to have been beaten by a man. She is very scared of people bending over her or with things in their hands like shoes or sticks. She also chews things in the house. Not bad only one thing a day. Two old bridles, one back scratcher, a toy truck. She will not chew on any kind of dog chew. They are for burying only. They are all over her dog yard and the house. Every time you move something you find them.

We are working with a trainer on the man issue and are making good progress.

Absolutely. Talk all the time, just like you would a child you want to train. Talk alot and be very clear and and simple in your dialog.

Not, "please don't growl and the nice man honey, he won't hurt you"..instead be firm.."QUIT, no bite, no growl, nice man".

You pet the man, you talk with him and just let her see all is ok.

Kasha had food aggressions and was quite mouthy with her teeth but reminding her I am the lead bitch in this pack and reinforcing the good behavior and being quick and firm with bad worded well. I am sure many here will chime in.

Fill her with love and care and do all you can to let her know she is safe, tell her; you are fine, no harm will befall any of you and IF you need her to step up and save..you'll let her know.

Kasha also buried all chewies until I gave her a baby. I gave her a beanie baby pony and it's like her lovie now, her security. If someone new comes I make sure I have the pony, give it to the newcomer and allow them to say, "here's your baby...good girl". Then a cookie. Course I always have hold of the doberchild in each circumastance because face it some folks and dogs just will not click and she has a right to dislike anyone but not to growl or be aggressive if I say not. Kinda like I tell my kids..you can say all you want if you're mad behind your door, you can hate and curse but don't disrespect me in my face. Dogs can learn that too. Best of luck with her.

I can say that I have seen my dog change after talking with a communicator. Many times it is subtle, and once I even saw Glacier give the vet a kiss on the hand even though he is terrified of vets. He did it quickly and someone with a look of distain, but none the less, he did what he was asked to do to show me he was trying to be a perfect boy. Laughs. It was like a little child saying "do I have to?"

Anyway, after getting help, he is better about some things. The problem is not totally gone, and I will always worry about him and his fear of strangers (especially vets), but at least it is much more manageable.

And yes, I talk to him all of the time and tell him exactly what I want.

For instance, I needed his help in finding our lost puppy last year. Well, I told Glacier to "Bark loudly when near Caesar" and darned if Glacier didn't go into a big barking fit right at the street corner were Caesar was hiding. He did this a couple of times, and he is not a dog that barks when going for a ride.

So yes, they do listen and can change, especially with a communicator!
default_yes.gif
:

Can you ever get an animal to change a behavior by communicating with them? We are making imporvements but .....

Things like growling at men. We figure she had to have been beaten by a man. She is very scared of people bending over her or with things in their hands like shoes or sticks. She also chews things in the house. Not bad only one thing a day. Two old bridles, one back scratcher, a toy truck. She will not chew on any kind of dog chew. They are for burying only. They are all over her dog yard and the house. Every time you move something you find them.

We are working with a trainer on the man issue and are making good progress.
What type of dog and what age? I have a pup who is just over a year and she has never been mis treated by anyone and still does not take to new women. She loves men and tolerates women and is friendly once she gets to know them. Breed can play a role in tolerance of people approaching from above ie bending over them. Chows do not appreciate this or approaching from the side....simple reason is they cannot see you :bgrin ....chewing could be age related or it could be a sign of frustration/boredom. I can usually tell when my aussie or poodle have not been getting enough physical activity they tend to destroy tennis balls or their beds
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: pulling stuffing seems to be a favorite when they are bored :eek: :eek:

That said I talk to my critters all the time :bgrin

Tess is some where over a year old. Not yet two. She has had a litter of puppies. They figure she must have been bred on her first heat.

In the last month she has met two men she has not growled at the first time she has met them. I have been working with her and a trainer for three weeks now and I have seen a lot of progress this week. In fact today I had a man over to give me an estimate for work on my house. She was good with him. She has stopped trying to kill men that pass by the side of her yard. A little barking but no charging the fence to kill. When we were out walking this weekend on a busy trail she did not growl at any of the men.

We are working with the fear of sticks or other objects in a hand and making progress with that too. Does not matter if it is men or women you pick up something you could hit her with and she is gone.

Today there was nothing in the house chewed!!!! she gets a long walk in the morning and another in the evening. She is let out at noon into her yard for an hour or more if I am working. When we are home she has free accesses to the yard. When she is in the house she has a cat to play with and OMG do they play.

I just wonder sometimes what is going on in her head switching from one home to the other one after the other.

Latest posts

Back