A question about Scout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I let Dapper Dan (he is a gelding) come up to the fence to hobnob with Scout today. I've had Scout a little over 2 weeks now and he will be gelded two weeks on Tuesday. He did a little squealing, but it wasn't too serious, so I let them visit for a while. I didn't notice Scout dropping. DD was very calm; he just wanted to visit. They are in seperate areas. They can see each other but not get close to each other.

After about 15 minutes, I went into the corral to rub Scout. No halter, just rubbing. He seemed docile, then all at once he squealed and nailed me with both hind feet. Fortunately I was standing close so he didn't get me too badly. So I got the lunge whip and made him MOVE around the corral for about 5 minutes. It was too hot to go longer. Then I walked up and scratched his forehead and left.

My logic for going into the corral at that time was to show him that I could go into his space. I suppose I should have haltered him first, since he was a little excited? Or taken the whip and lunged him a little before touching him?

He has a deep cut on his nose now, I guess when he was squealing at DD he caught the edge of the gate. Later I haltered him and washed the cut. He was jumpy but didn't try anything.

No more visiting between them for a while longer, until Scout is a little less stallion? Or should I let them?

Scout is about 11 years old and has been minimally handled in his life. I've been walking him about 2 miles at least every other day and working on ground manners.

Latest posts

Back