A minor pet peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valshingle

Reaction score
Is it just me, or do other people find it irritating to see someone say their horse won Grand Champion at Worlds and then find out it won it's class and is actually a World Champion, not a World Grand Champion? I am not taking anything away from the wins, but I think it's a disservice to the horses that actually won Grand Champion. I've never won a Grand and have the utmost respect for those that have.

BTW, I'M NOT singling out anyone on the Forum, but I see it on FB and other places, too.

Maybe I'm not understanding the proper titles, as I see this happen frequently.

Putting on my flame suit now.....
default_torch.gif

No flaming from me. I totally agree!
yes.gif

It's the same as "National (or World) Top Ten CHAMPION." If your horse came in 8th, yes, it's a National (World) Top Ten, but it's not a Champion of anything. IMO.

Both of these things make me crazy because although I know the difference, newbies don't and I feel like the people who consistently do this are purposely being misleading. Again...IMO.

I am with both of you on this. Also saying a horse is Top 8. Yes, it placed 8th. To me top ten sounds better because it doesn't spell out your exact placing.

This is SO a pet peeve - especially since I have a personal experience with someone claiming MY horse's World Grand Champion Title!! They put it ON THEIR WEBSITE!! When called on it, it was fixed but in a most amusing way!

ANYTHING won at Worlds or Nationals is fantastic and every placing is special. Don't take away from someone who did a little better than you.

Yep here to ...

I see it alot and think no one is trying to mislead but for the most part they just truly do not get the difference.

As for top ten.. I see it broke down sometimes and for me either it is a top 5 or a top ten is how I usually say it.

I suspect that in many cases people just don't understand the difference. It IS confusing.. For example, how many of you knew that there was a RESERVE Supreme Champion at the AMHA World Show??? Not even the winner knew (until later) - SRF Noble Heir - because it isn't announced, but the result is posted on the AMHA website.

Personally, I think anyone who competes at these shows and does their best is to be congratulated!!! If they get a Top Ten, even better, and up from there. Remember, it is those judges opinions on that day.... We didn't make it to the World Show with Max (colic surgery in July ended our dream) but did enjoy the thrill of several wins over World Champions and World Grand and World Reserve Grand Champions - and that World Reserve Supreme Grand winner, back in May and June.

However if you listen to the way both the World and Nationals announce their winners its "Congratulate your 2010 National/World Grand Champion (insert class)."

I guess for me I don't think it's incorrect but I won't worry about the way to say it till I have one.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When I listened to the Worlds it was "WORLD CHAMPION" for the individual size classes, such as 28 and under, 28 - 30, etc. However the classes that don't go up to a Grand Champion, they would announce it as a World Grand Champion - like Multi Color.

The person I'm talking about is a very well known trainer who DOES know the difference.

I was surprised to see a Reserve Supreme Champion also. I don't think they had one last year that I'm aware of. However, if the Supreme failed the drug test, they would have to have a reserve to fall back on.

Latest posts

Back